What's the last book you read?

Connie

Crippling America

Ana,

I'm curious.  You clearly love your Filipino heritage and life.  You're very happy living in the Philippines.  And yet you do a lot to stay up on the US and it's culture, current events, and so forth.  Why is that?

I have finished reading Tom Logan, Sheriff of Nye County, killed in 1906.

For those of you from other planets, Nye County is one of the old mining and infamous counties in Nevada.

The proper title is "Logan:  The Honorable Life and Scandalous Death of a Western Lawman" by Jackie Boor.

2014 or 2015, I think.

It goes over some of the early history of Nevada, southern Nevada, the mining communities, many now ghost towns and written by a descendant of the sheriff's. 

Of course, part of that history involves more than one Mormon pioneer settler, but the author only skims or avoids any Mormon involvement.

I have yet to finish, and don't know if I will finish "How Wide the Divide".

dc

Prior to the Logan book, I think I had mentioned reading the large (750 page) Porter Rockwell book from 1986,

Edited by David13

I have yet to finish, and don't know if I will finish "How Wide the Divide".

I'm kind of in the same boat with Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament by Holzapfel, et al.  Great info, but a slow read; and now that we're done with the New Testament in Gospel Doctrine class I may lay it aside for another four years.  I also bogged down in Volume 1 of Holzapfel and Wayment's Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ--it's a spectacularly thorough collection of essays, but unfortunately a number of those essays are repetitive and/or so opaquely written as to be nearly impenetrable if I'm reading immediately before bedtime (as I very often do).

I'm still working through The God who Weeps, which is another slow read because it's so gosh-darned thought-provoking.  I'm simultaneously reading Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition, which is going more quickly but in some senses depressing (pretty much every member of the party, except Lewis and Clark themselves, came down with one STD or another.  Apparently, several of the native tribes the party encountered practiced wife-swapping on a regular basis--it was considered "good medicine" to lend your wife out to a powerful or skilled man, because you would then absorb some of his power or skill.  Ugh).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest LiterateParakeet

I'm still working through The God who Weeps, which is another slow read because it's so gosh-darned thought-provoking.  I'm simultaneously reading Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition, which is going more quickly but in some senses depressing (pretty much every member of the party, except Lewis and Clark themselves, came down with one STD or another.  Apparently, several of the native tribes the party encountered practiced wife-swapping on a regular basis--it was considered "good medicine" to lend your wife out to a powerful or skilled man, because you would then absorb some of his power or skill.  Ugh).

I feel the same about The God Who Weeps.  :)  Happy sigh....

But that last part of your post...ugh.  Geez.

I recently finished A Man Called Ove by Frederick Backman.  It was delightful.  I also loved Backman's other book, My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry.   I wouldn't call either of these books comedy, but still Backman makes me laugh out loud -- literally-- with his dry humor.  I love it.  I'm anxiously awaiting for him to write something else!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On April 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Connie said:

Roseslipper,

I've been reading a book called Hearing the Voice of the Lord by Gerald Lund.  I'm not quite finished with it yet, but it is a great one on getting closer to the Spirit.  It has all the basics in it, and i have found great enjoyment as i have gotten deeper into it.  It contains some really interesting insights.

I really love this book! Learned a lot!

Guest LiterateParakeet

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi.  It's a memoir by a young neurosurgeon diagnosed with terminal cancer.  He passed away in March 2015 while working on this book.  It's a beautifully written exploration of what makes life worth living.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

"That Woman" by Anne Sebba. A biography of Wallis Simpson. 

You picqued my curiosity since I had no idea who Wallis Simpson was.  I have to say after reading two articles; I'm even more confused, LOL!  What a pair . . . :)  Did you like the book?  

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

You picqued my curiosity since I had no idea who Wallis Simpson was.  I have to say after reading two articles; I'm even more confused, LOL!  What a pair . . . :)  Did you like the book?  

Loved it. Sebba correctly makes the theory that her true love was Ernest Simpson (her second husband) and she regretted divorcing him from the moment it happened. She even wrote to Edward that "you and I can only create chaos together". 

7 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Does it involve a bris or dog mitzvah? :rolleyes:

Lehi

A Catholic priest and a Jewish rabbi were great friends, and one day they were talking about entry into covenants. The priest said, "We have the Great Commission, to baptize all creatures. I wonder if that includes bears?" So the rabbi challenged him to baptize a bear. The next day, the rabbi asked the priest, and the priest told him, "Yes, I did go into the forest and came across a bear. Remembering our conversation, I sprinkled him with holy water, so he is baptized."

The next week, the priest got a call from the hospital, and rushed there to visit his rabbi friend in intensive care. The rabbi had a punctured lung, a fractured jaw, and had been badly mauled. The priest asked the rabbi what happened. "You remember how you baptized that bear?" The priest nodded, and the rabbi said, "That inspired me. I decided if a Catholic could convert animals, surely I could do the same." "What went wrong?" asked the priest. The rabbi responded, "Actually, everything was going just great until the bris."