What's the last book you read?

Connie

• 1 month later...
Guest MormonGator

Days of Fire by Peter Baker. A chronicle of the Bush-Cheney years. The book was fantastic. It was one of the most in depth political books I've ever read, hands down-and I love political books.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished The Lord’s Way by Dallin H. Oaks. That should probably be required reading for LDS members. It takes different topics (such as learning, criticism, litigation and contention), comparing and contrasting the Lord’s way versus the world’s way. It is very enlightening and relevant to our day.

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 minutes ago, Connie said:

Just finished The Lord’s Way by Dallin H. Oaks. That should probably be required reading for LDS members. It takes different topics (such as learning, criticism, litigation and contention), comparing and contrasting the Lord’s way versus the world’s way. It is very enlightening and relevant to our day.

Sounds intriguing. Thanks for mentioning it.

I just finished Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson. A wonderful book! I've never felt so close to my Savior than I do now, Robinson going through the Atonement and what exactly this means and what it means for us. The first couple of chapters can be a little repetitive as he covers the same thing using several different metaphors but it's one of those things where I could see myself, a younger me, not understanding some but finally "getting it" with a follow-up explanation. So it might be for anyone else who picks it up. He leaves no stone unturned as he goes over the ins and outs of sin, repentance and what exactly it means to partake in the Atonement, all presented with this joyous clarion call of "good news!" He definitely challenged a lot of my personal perceptions, those slivers of doubt in myself(and thus, in my Savior) no doubt planted there by the Adversary to at some later date get me to throw up my hands in frustration because I simply "can't do it." This book for it's small size, is full of hope and love, truly rounding out the concept of "perfection" as "progression" by bringing in Jesus Christ as a willing and efficient partner in this entire process. I think sometimes it is easy to forget how involved He is because of the standard and ideal He set. Robinson helps explain why this was not a way to make us feel lesser or consumed with guilt but for the express purpose of our personal benefit and ability to perfect ourselves. It had that kind of effect on me; things I've been relearning and new perspectives I've been exposed to these last few months, now coming back around into a circle, my understanding refined by these plain and simple things. I will always recommend this to anyone and everyone.

• 5 months later...

Just finished the first two books of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson.  He really has a way of narrating action sequences.

Many people praise him for his world-building.  But I frankly don't like this world he created.  But, yes, his skill at it is pretty impressive.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:27 AM, Carborendum said:

Just finished the first two books of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson.  He really has a way of narrating action sequences.

Many people praise him for his world-building.  But I frankly don't like this world he created.  But, yes, his skill at it is pretty impressive.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I recently finished the second one, and liked it tons. This my favorite Sanderson series so far.

Let's see. Last LDS non-fiction i read was Let God Love You by Wendy Ulrich. I wasn't super impressed, but it had some good ideas.

Guest Godless

My wife and I are currently working our way through the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I'm close to finishing book 3 (A Storm of Swords). I'm greatly looking forward to the next two books, because I believe that's where the written story really starts to deviate from the HBO series. 

10 hours ago, Connie said:

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I recently finished the second one, and liked it tons. This my favorite Sanderson series so far.

Let's see. Last LDS non-fiction i read was Let God Love You by Wendy Ulrich. I wasn't super impressed, but it had some good ideas.

Well, I liked the book well enough because of the magic system, the storyline, the action sequences, etc.  I just didn't like this particular planet.  He kept mentioning certain plants and animals that evolved to become this way because... But it didn't follow the patterns of evolution that would have occurred in such and such circumstances.  It was just too much for me to suspend my disbelief in.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Image result for the gruffalo

This is a nightly read at my house lately! It's a lot of fun :D 

I so want to read this! I may sneak into the kids section of my local chapters and explore. This is how I read Scaredy Squirrel. I have a number of family members with uncontrolled anxiety disorders. Now that I think about it, I should actually buy these books as therapy. I may start writing short stories about living with people with anxiety disorders as therapy. You cannot believe the phone calls that I have taken lately!

• 1 month later...
Guest MormonGator

Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch by Sally Bedell Smith. It's a great read about (surprise!) the Queen. It goes in depth about her relationships with her children and debunks several popular myths. While it hasn't always been cupcakes and roses with her children, there is hardly an estrangement. It also shoots down the myth that Prince Philip is a notorious womanizer. My only complaint is that the very end of the book talks too much about William and Kate. Strongly recommend. 

On 1/31/2017 at 11:11 AM, Connie said:

Does he mention competition? (50% joking, 50% serious)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Vort said:

Is that the one where Asimov has Raquel Welch get really small? Yeah, who didn't like that?

Ha! I'm debating whether I should bother watching the movie or not. I'm guessing it's special effects are pretty cheesy. 

I just read No Country for Old Men by Cormack McCarthy.  A book with a very good beginning, but goes downhill from there and has one of the least meaningful endings ever.

Next stop: On the Road by Jack Kerouac!

Edited by DoctorLemon