Prayers for a Dead Athiest

dahlia

You're arguing with someone who was a devout faithful Catholic about Catholic doctrine and practice. It's like a Baptist arguing to a Mormon about Mormon doctrine stating completely misundertood things like Mormons and their many wives because, gasp, the Baptist live in Utah, therefore, he must know.

It's not worth the effort of responding.

anatess, you are not The Authority on all things Catholic. I have received opposite arguments from people just as Catholic as you were, and I have no incentive to prioritize your understanding above theirs. You cite yourself as an authority, but you are not.

And your insinuation is false. I am not lecturing a Catholic on Catholic doctrine. First, you are not a Catholic (in case you forgot that little fact). Second, I am giving my understanding, not proclaiming ultimate fact. Third, I have given citation for my beliefs -- unlike you.

You need not respond if you don't want to, but to suggest it's just beneath you to respond is an intentional insult. Shame on you for piling on such crap.

Hidden

You're arguing with someone who was a devout faithful Catholic about Catholic doctrine and practice.

If you've gone back to Catholicism you may want to adjust your profile. Or did you mean to phrase that in the past tense?

Vort - Until you mentioned purgatory, I had forgotten about it. I remember being in labor and 'offering up' my pain for the souls in purgatory.

I guess that's another thing LDS don't do, huh? I mean, you don't offer your suffering in the hopes it will lessen someone else's suffering in the afterlife.

Now that I've mentioned suffering - what is the LDS view on it? Does suffering serve a purpose? Many Catholic saints would seek out suffering, but I'm not sure we should seek it out. I don't think suffering when you don't have to (like not taking meds when you have a migraine) makes you a 'saint,' if you will. : )

Nothing makes me want to slap someone as much as when they complain about being sick (your average everyday sick), and then find out they didn't take an aspirin or some Pepto. Either use medication, or endure it and shut up. Don't complain.

That said, sometimes we have suffering we can't avoid. Does it makes us better people? Bring us closer to HF and Jesus?

That said, sometimes we have suffering we can't avoid. Does it makes us better people? Bring us closer to HF and Jesus?

I think suffering should draw us closer to our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ but I don't think it necessarily does because of how we sometimes choose to react. When faced with suffering do we seek solace and comfort with faith in Christ? Or do we blame God and curse him for our trial?