Biking to church

NightSG

I don't know about showers, but I have never been to a stake center or a meetinghouse that had a font that didn't have a tiled area that you stepped onto coming out of the baptismal font. In fact almost all had a room between the baptismal font and the actual bathroom to give people a place to dry off some before going to change. That was always where we put the wet baptismal clothes as well.

Ours opens directly into the handicapped stall on the men's side, and presumably the same on the women's. That pretty much eliminates the biggest chunk of real estate in the bathroom, which means everybody is lined up at the counter trying to change, and trying to avoid letting dry clothes drag in the water pooling on the floor because it doesn't slope properly to the drains.

I had occasion to visit my old elementary school once a few years back, and needed to use the men's room while there. I finally realized how brilliant their design was, with the tall narrow urinals that run from about 4 feet up all the way down about 2-3 inches into the floor; not only are they a good fit for anything from a toddler on up, but you can aim into the bottom of it and completely eliminate potential splashback issues.

Is there anything about our meetinghouses that you do like?

ummm. I like the library, its always a challenge to see if i can get myself half way through the door before the librarian kicks me out.

in the meetinghouse here, its a half door the lady stands behind...

all and all the meetinghouse here is quite nice, so many piano's... everytime I try and play them, nobody minds but I have no skill in it:lol:

Did these buildings have fonts? And would you have had access to them? In my experience the changing areas are locked when not in use, so unless you were there to perform a baptism or have one performed you'd probably never see them. I wonder what factors go into if a building with a font has a tiled area for changing (location, age, size, ect...).

They all had fonts and I participated in baptisms in most of the buildings at one time or another. All the fonts had doors into the restrooms except one.

If you count the narrow walkway to the restrooms I guess you could make the claim it had a tiled area. Not sure how you'd do anything but walk from the font to the restroom there however.

Edited by mnn727

I have not seen missionaries on bike for YEARS! At least 15!

Our local Missionaries have a bike rack on the back of their truck but I have never seen any bikes .... of course here in my neck of the wood "goat heads" (puncture vine) is everywhere & nothing short of solid tires will last most of a day. Plus, I guess the area covering some 1500 square miles or more probly has something to do with that too.

I was in Utah for a few weeks last month, saw Missionaries on several occasions, but they were always walking, never biking!

Pee Wee Herman .... if I had to choose!

Is it just me, or is it a bit odd that the LDS Church is so well known for missionaries on bicycles, but I still haven't seen a meetinghouse with a bike rack?

I've thought that myself a few times. I usually have to lock my bike to a light post or some pipe that comes out of our building near the primary room windows. A bike rack would be nice.

I usually ride when I have to go to the church by myself. Like for early Sunday morning meetings or for the General Conference priesthood session. It's only about a mile, so I don't feel like I need a shower when I get there. I do take a towel with me sometimes, though. It's Oregon; it rains.

Is there anything about our meetinghouses that you do like?

I like how our Primary and Youth meeting rooms have those dividers that splits the room into 3. It's perfect for Halloween Scare Rooms.

And I like how our RS room has one wall that has a counter that can open up into the kitchen. Perfect for serving the chili on Halloween party.

:D

I haven't checked if we have a bike rack. I'll have to find out!