Well, imagine my surprise when I watched a Mormon Channel YT video that invited us to come listen to living prophets - with an 's.'

Maybe I've missed something all this time, but I thought only Thomas Monson was the prophet for the Church. I know we can all get revelation, but I thought true prophesy was only given to the President of the Church. The video showed the Presidency and another photo of the Quorum of the Twelve. Are they all prophets? When do the others issue prophecies instead of Pres Monson? Can they do so on their own or do they need approval? What a surprise. :o

Good afternoon dahlia. I hope you have been well! :)

We sustain the First Presidency and all members of the Quorum of the Twelve as prophets, seers, and revelators.

"The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God’s prophet on earth today. Members of the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are sustained as prophets, seers, and revelators."

Prophet

Regards,

Finrock

dahlia,

Further, this description of the President of the Church might be helpful to understand the distinctions:

"The President of the Church is a prophet, seer, and revelator (D&C 21:1; 107:91–92), and members of the Church are to call the prophet of the Church by the title “President” (D&C 107:65). He is the only person on earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys" (Emphasis added).

President

Regards,

Finrock

Moses originally wanted the children of Israel to be a nation of prophets. Only when they failed to uphold their covenants was that taken from them. We, modern Israel, are expected to become a nation of prophets (and prophetesses).

Yes, at each General Conference, each apostle is sustained specifically as a prophet, seer, and revelator. The senior apostle, who is the president of the Church, is the only one in whom all the keys are operable. But each apostle holds all the keys. So we do indeed sustain each of them as prophets, seers, and revelators.

Your stake president is a prophet to your stake. Your bishop is, in a sense, a prophet to your ward. You are or should be a prophet within your own family. God's blessings, and also God's responsibilities, are widely distributed, not confined to a single person or small group. All who will may partake, and partaking means inheriting responsibilities as well as the blessings that accompany them.