Differences between Human Grain and Feed Grain?

Full_Monte

I'm starting to collect food for storage. I notice that in our local animal feed store, I can buy wheat, corn, oats and a few other grains, and they are a lot less expensive than mail-order products designed for humans. Is there a problem buying them from the feed store? Is it OK if I clean them somehow? Thanks for any suggestions.

I would find out where they came from and if they have been treated. There are some grown for animal consumption that have been treated with different pesticides that can't be sold for human consumption but can for animals.

I'm starting to collect food for storage. I notice that in our local animal feed store, I can buy wheat, corn, oats and a few other grains, and they are a lot less expensive than mail-order products designed for humans. Is there a problem buying them from the feed store? Is it OK if I clean them somehow? Thanks for any suggestions.

Ask where they got them from. You can NOT use seeds that are sold for planting for anything other than planting. They are coated with chemicals. Grains for animal consumption are also coated with chemicals, and more often than not are gmo seeds.

Check out food co-opts that sell organic grains & seeds. You can grind, sprout and plant organic seeds & grains.

I don't know if the grains that the lds church sells are organic or not. When I was price checking the cost of wheat through Emergency Essentials was the best. Not necessarily the cheapest - but the best. EE wheat is triple cleaned, and for me that was worth the extra cents per pound.

For the other grains, seeds and bulk spices I get them at the organic food co-opt two cities away for almost 1/2 the cost of the two online sprouting places I had been getting them from.

Check out Fred Meyer & Win-Co. Our Fred Meyer just beefed up their Organic/Bulk department. Haven't yet been to Win-Co in person. Have checked out their bulk items via their web site. When I do go to Win-Co (which is three cities away in the opposite direction) I will be in there for at least two hours just writing down the prices.

To repeat: Make sure that the grains & seeds you get for storage are organic. Ask the retailer where they get them from. Ask to see the bulk labels- where it states that they are organic. Store them in air tight/moisture proof FOOD GRADE containers. Trash bags are NOT food grade. No matter what color they are or aren't.

I vacuum seal all of my grains & seeds. I weigh out my wheat into 3.5 pound bags and vacuum seal them, then I store them in rectangular Rubbermaid or Sterilite bins/totes.