Why did God need to rest

pooter1

Why on the 7th day did God need to rest? Do we get tired in the spirit world?

This is a fine example of misunderstanding between ancient language and culture and our modern times. The term “rest” carries a different meaning. When we die we enter “The L-rd’s Rest” and the Sabbath day is also called a day of Rest. What is meant here is not that the L-rd took a vacation or had a nap but rather took time for spiritual renewal.

The concept of spiritual renewal is another example of man emulating G-d and following his example. Thus the Sabbath day is intended to be a day dedicated to spiritual renewal – something we can practice now that teaches us (by doing) about the nature of G-d.

The Traveler

Sunday is anything but a day of rest for me. :) But it is rest from my worldy cares. No errands, no bills, no appointments, etc. It is indeed a day to renew my spirit through study and service, and to be sanctified and renew my covenants. But Sunday is rarely a quiet, restful day around here. We don't even really have leadership callings.

Adams belly button is not mentioned in the scriptures but God resting is.This is why I was curious about it. What Im trying to understand is we cannot know joy with having pain or sorrow to know the difference. It doesn't make sense that we wouldn't get tired in the spirit world to know the difference between joy and sorrow. This is just a curious question I know it doesn't matter for anything.Just curious what others think.

God resting is in the scriptures. But WHY He rested is not. However, to your point, there is plenty of scriptural evidence to support the idea that we will not have any physical ailments, including fatigue, post resurrection.

We will have sorrow and pain, but not physically. We will sorrow for lost souls, sorrow for others, etc...

Like I said. Interesting. But ultimately, we can't know why God "rested".

I have considered this question too. I wonder if it is a day to recognize and appreciate the work that is done. In other words, there may be value in the appreciation of work done which is different than being aware that things will get done in the future. It is a time to see the works and know that they are good. Just like there is some value to God to "bring to pass" certain things. At the point at which something is done there is value in taking note of the thing that has passed. In a way, that is what we do on Sunday, give thanks for the things done.

The heavens and the earth 1 were completed with everything that was in them. 2 By 3 the seventh day God finished the work that he had been doing, 4 and he ceased 5 on the seventh day all the work that he had been doing. God blessed the seventh day and made it holy 6 because on it he ceased all the work that he 7 had been doing in creation. 8 (Genesis 2:1-3)

The notes for 5 & 6 says:

5 tn The Hebrew term שָׁבַּת (shabbat) can be translated “to rest” (“and he rested”) but it basically means “to cease.” This is not a rest from exhaustion; it is the cessation of the work of creation.

6 tn The verb is usually translated “and sanctified it.” The Piel verb קִדֵּשׁ (qiddesh) means “to make something holy; to set something apart; to distinguish it.” On the literal level the phrase means essentially that God made this day different. But within the context of the Law, it means that the day belonged to God; it was for rest from ordinary labor, worship, and spiritual service. The day belonged to God.

From the NET Bible.

https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Genesis+2:3

M.

Maureen,I checked out you link and it is very interesting.Something I noticed was in Gen.2 verse 8 it says that Adam was PLACED in the garden of eden which has me thinking on new topic.Where was Adam placed from? Ive been in primary for so many years I need to re learn my scriptures.

Heya angel333,

I was thinking and decided I owed you an apology for my response to your question. I'm posting other "who knows" type thoughts all the time, and then unfairly inferred that you doing the same was a waste of time. This was not fair of me in any regards. Moreover, due to some other's insightful posts concerning rest, I was clearly wrong. There was something to be learned from the question and ensuing discussion. Regardless, my response was uncalled for. I think I was in a mood when I responded that way or something.

I figured a public apology was in order.

There can be a "rest" in a song, but it doesn't mean the song is over, nor does it mean anything has "stopped" or shut down.

It could be that He "rested" because the creation process was complete, and not because He was tired. He was possibly allowing creation to "take over" and begin to thrive on it's own, relinquishing dominion to man. He was pausing before entering a new step of His plan, like songs do so often before entering a different movement.

Edited by Justice