Keeping strong through a separation

Well... Husband and I recently reached a decision regarding his upcoming 19-week military training: He will be going and I and Baby will be staying with my parents in Utah. When this decision was made, we both felt so at peace and everything just slid into place. We are aiming to have me fly out once a month or so to visit.

However, I'm an emotional wreck about it (and I doubt postpartum emotions are helping much).

Any strategies on dealing with the separation?

My DH and I recently went through a separation of similar length. Will your DH have access to Skype and/or Facebook? What helped DH and I were regular "skype dates", plus random Facebook chats before work and during his breaks. Obviously military training probably won't afford you as many opportunities for just random communications, but whatever you can squeeze in will help. :)

I'm just glad you're talking about that kind of separation! I hope it goes by quickly for you.

Exactly! I was thinking "who is so insensitive to do a separation right when a baby is born???". Glad it's the kind you're talking about. :embarrassed:

I was apart from my husband for my entire pregnancy and the first 3 month of our son's life due to the immigration process. It was awful. What got me through was my baby. Having that little piece of my husband that I could feel inside me and later was able to hug and kiss and cuddle gave me so much comfort.

Smother that little precious baby with all the love you have. That child is a manifestation of your love for your husband and it will help to have that baby to distract you and make you forget about being lonely. The time will pass and you will be even more in love with your husband when he comes back.