I loathe my calling...

alison_143

I know there are people who would love the have the calling that I do, but I just can't seem to appreciate it at all.

I'm the CTR 5 teacher in my Ward and every week I have to teach I leave Church feeling drained and frustrated. The kids in my class aren't terribly unreasonable, they're just normal 5 year old kids who don't seem to care much about what I have to say. After all, by the time I get to teach them my lesson, it's the third hour and they're done sitting still. I'm just not very patient of kids I guess. They want to play and they want to tell me all these random stories that have nothing to do with anything and I'm just not amused.

:banghead:What are some things that you have done with your Junior Primary classes that have made the lessons more meaningful or interesting to the children?

I know there are people who would love the have the calling that I do, but I just can't seem to appreciate it at all.

I'm the CTR 5 teacher in my Ward and every week I have to teach I leave Church feeling drained and frustrated. The kids in my class aren't terribly unreasonable, they're just normal 5 year old kids who don't seem to care much about what I have to say. After all, by the time I get to teach them my lesson, it's the third hour and they're done sitting still. I'm just not very patient of kids I guess. They want to play and they want to tell me all these random stories that have nothing to do with anything and I'm just not amused.

:banghead:What are some things that you have done with your Junior Primary classes that have made the lessons more meaningful or interesting to the children?

1.) Establish a routine. Divide the 50 minutes into no more than 10-minute sections and keep this consistent every week.

For example:

5 minutes - Wiggle Time and Opening Prayer

10 minutes - Talk about what happened during the week and Review last week's lesson

10 minutes - snack and potty break

5 minutes - Object lesson

10 minutes - Lesson Discussion

10 minutes - Activity (e.g. coloring, role play, game, etc.)

2.) If they talk about something completely unrelated, let them talk and find a way to relate it to the lesson. For example - Oh, you like the color blue. That's great, when Jesus entered Jerusalem, the sky was probably blue.

3.) Talk on their level. Celestial Kingdom is going to fly over their heads. A place that is as bright as the sun would be better understood.

4.) Talk in a hushed voice. If you can, decorate the room by darkening the windows and lighting a soft lamp.

5.) At this age, it is difficult to keep a kid's attention with just listening to words. It is better if they have something they can see and touch and do as well - like pictures, objects, role playing, reciting, etc.

I've been in Primary for 4 years. I like it better than Relief Society.

Not me.

:banghead:What are some things that you have done with your Junior Primary classes

Transfer my records to a singles ward. Seriously -- that's what I did the last time I taught primary.

I was devastated when i was released from primary. Primary is the best!

Anatess has offered some great advice. I would add: There is a reason we are told in scripture to become as a little child. Look for those reasons in the children you teach. I have found that little children are much more forgiving and loving than adults can be. And the faith of a child is so simple and pure.

If you haven't already checked out sugardoodle, i would recommend it. Here's the link: Sugardoodle.net They have a section for primary teachers. You can click on the manual you use and find a wealth of ideas to make things interesting for the kids and bring it down to their level.

One last thing, these kids love you. Really. Even if you don't think they do or they don't obey or they don't show it, they love you and they want you to be interested in them. Show interest in them and love them back, even if all they can talk about is the time they broke their arm or how excited they are to go to the park or their pet turtle and you are bored out of your mind. Act like it's the most intereting thing you've ever heard. And as anatess said, if you can find a way to relate it to the lesson or to the gospel that's awesome, but even if you can't just show interest and they will love you all the more.

Them's my random thoughts for whatever that might be worth to you. Good luck in your calling. I hope you can find the joy in teaching these little ones. They are so precious to our Heavenly Father.

Another thing...

Props. They're usually a big hit with the little ones. For example, bring a stuffed toy and put it in a chair in the corner and give it a job - like, Noise Watcher. When the kids get too noisy then tell them the Noise Watcher thinks it's too noisy so he's going to hide and put the toy away.

I'm the singing time teacher and all the kids - even the 11 year olds - love the throat soother - basically just flavored water I put in a small spray bottle and when they sing really good, I give them a little squirt in the inside of their cheek and they just love it.

They also love the Green Light, Red Light... When the kids aren't listening, I put up the Red Light (a piece of round red cardboard paper taped to a wooden paint stirrer which you can get for free in Lowes). When the kids are giving good answers to the questions, I put up the Green Light. Etc.

Another one:

Kids love "assignments". Especially if they can see their names next to an assignment. Several 5-year-olds can't read yet, so I would put up a posterboard with a picture of assignments with their picture on a magnet that can be stuck next to the assignment. Assignments would be things like - Opening Prayer, Snack Helper, Chalkboard Eraser, etc.

And lastly:

Kids just love Singing Time. They just love singing especially if it's one of their favorites (like Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam). So, in your classroom, use songs in your lesson. I do this in Nursery - when I prepare the lesson for nursery, I think like the Wiggles or Barney or something - the main idea being taught is taught through the songs. For example, I can use The Wise Man and the Foolish Man to teach Choose the Right, Obedience, Commandments, Faith, etc. Yep. I just change the introductory story a bit...

I was devastated when i was released from primary.

Oooh, I probably would be too. I suck at Singing Time though (I'm a convert so I don't know most of the Primary Songs) so I wouldn't mind being a Primary teacher again.

Oohhh... one more thing. Costumes! Kids love costumes. I would teach a lesson and bring some costumes that they can wear while I teach the lesson. Like when teaching about The Book of Mormon is the Word of God, I would bring some scrap cloth that can be converted into a rudimentary tunic with a strip of cloth as a sash and give it to a kid to wear that would be Nephi. Then another one will be Laban and I would add a Burger King crown on it... etc.

I recall teaching the 6 & 7 year olds. As I had taught 1st grade for several years, that was a breeze. Then the new year rolled around, and I had the 4 year olds... different scenario altogether.

Go with what anatess put. It's brilliant. I also have them put all their stuff against the wall when they come in. It's safer than just under their chairs.

My favorite calling has been primary. The five years old children can be difficult to teach however the calling is very rewarding also. I have taught sunbeams, 4 years old, 5 years old, and 8-9 years old.

These are lessons I have learned when teaching primary:

1st - We are hear to teach the children, not give a lesson. I have noticed when I actually teach, and actually focus on teaching, the experience is much better. I have discovered when I am more focused on getting through a lesson, those times have been rough.

2nd - Learner Attention Activities are the most important with young children. Focus on one group of scriptures, typically no more than 2-3 verses of scripture. One verse is even better if it fits. The Learner Attention Activity allows the children to get there wiggles out while teaching doctrine.

Have more than one Attention Activity. In a 50 minute lesson, with 5 years old, I will have 3-4 Attention activities. An attention activity may take 10 minutes, but the children are actively involved. This may be a picture, an activity (drawing), singing, etc... anything that actively engages them. Again, be less concerned with getting through your lesson. If one attention activity, because the children are involved -- engaged -- takes 15 minutes let it take 15 minutes. Attention activities drive the lesson, and are a prep for a principle which will be taught.

4th - Children have an incredible ability to sense how you feel about them. Remember, they experience our Father in heaven's love through you.

5th - Rewards work wonders at this age also.

I would, however, highly disagree with the outline provided by anatess (sorry anatess, I still like you). Potty breaks happen before class begins, with exceptions of those who really need to go.

Teaching should happen throughout the whole time, not just 15 minutes of the time. The attention activities are a great opportunity for children to perform their wiggle time.

We all have different talents, don't be too hard on yourself. Do your best.

Just some thoughts.

My wife had a primary calling that she struggled with in the same way. To the point where we went to the bishop and shared her frustration with him (in no way asking to be released, but perhaps secretly hoping that would be the result). The bishop told us he would release her but wanted her to spend time first thinking about what it was the Lord had for her to learn, and if confident she had learned it, he had another calling in mind for her.

End result, she kept the calling and never said another word until the bishop released her and gave her another calling, quite some time later (I don't remember how long exactly).

I think the thing she had to learn was long-suffering, personally. :)

However, in that time before she was released, she just happened to have a conversation with the primary president, who was a friend. Turns out the primary president had determined to ask the bishop to release her, but my wife's story of sticking it out inspired her and she opted to stick it out as well. I don't know for sure, of course, but perhaps the situation was as it was so my wife could set an example for another. The point being, we can't always see the blessings.

When I'm teaching primary, especially the younger kids, I think of ONE main thought/idea that I want the kids to learn. It can be something as simple as "Heavenly Father loves me" or "Jesus lived on Earth". If I can convey that one simple idea to them during the lesson, I feel satisfied that I did a good job.

When I take away the larger expectations from myself, I stop becoming my own worse critic and I open myself up to be a lot more easy going, less stressed and less overwhelmed.

Then, when I go to class, if everyone is listening and we get through the lesson, I feel super happy that we were able to cover so much. If not, I don't beat myself up.

Also, I try to have at least one, if not 2-3 hands on activities. These are NOT elaborate. They can be something as simple as tying a string on our wrists to remember the lesson, or taking turns writing our names on the white board... but it's something to get the kids moving their bodies at least a little and keep them engaged. This also gives me a tool for if they are not paying attention, they get skipped and realize they need to calm down before they get their turn, and they really want that turn, and they really want the next turn... it's like these little things are the dangling carrot.

Best of luck!

I was devastated when I was released as Girls Camp Director and called to teach sunbeams. I seriously cried for a week. But, I have learned to love my calling by reminding myself how much Heavenly Father loves these children and how much he must love and trust me to put them in my care. Praying before I plan my lesson and before church also helps. Also reminding myself that in a few short years my children will be in primary and I would want their primary teachers to love and care for them.

I would love to be in primary. My last branch, I got called as Relief Society pianist. That's all good, till you add in the fact that I never took piano lessons. The expectation/encouragement that I got was that for a while we would use the programmed piano, but as time went on, I would start actually doing the playing.

If nobody was around, i played alright, but the minute I had people singing, I messed up.

Yea, I was glad when I was released from that calling.

(Hope this makes you feel a little better. :) )

I love primary, it's the bomb.... I've been trying to get out of my own calling to get back into primary....I even asked the primary president to submit my name to the Bishopric.

If its primary or high priests... I choose primary any day...

A-men!

I wish I would get called back to teaching in Jr Primary. I had a lot of fun in that calling and the children actually would be quiet and listen.

After that I taught Sr Primary then Sunday School and now the teachers quorum and often have two or more children who talk and won't be quiet long enough for me to teach them much. That is very frustrating.

One of the attention activities I remember doing with my Jr Primary was I brought pillow cases and ties and put them on each child's head as if they were a shepherd and then we went out side to find lost sheep. Before class I had hidden one or two plastic sheep that they had to find as part of the lesson. That is one lesson I will never forget giving them and they all enjoyed it.

Lots of good advise posted here. There are some ideas that you may not have thought of or tried. I would encourage you to put some of these ideas in to practice.

This being said there is no shame in asking for a release.

Ask yourself if you are really giving 100% to your calling?

There is nothing worse then having to go to a job daily that you hate. Most people would tell you to quit or look for another place to work. Do you want your Sundays to be a place you dread going?