Does God Punish?

Chrissy3818

I am not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but does God punish me? For example, I am scared to do anything. I do mean anything against what I have been taught. I always have this voice nagging me in my head "If you do that, you won't get what you want" and usually it has nothing to do what I want nor is it considered bad.

I feel God is punishing me for everything I am not doing or anything I do wrong even if it's simple. I don't know what these voices are but they bug me. Why would god be that mean? Why would he punish me through everything I am going through. I just don't know what to do or even if it is God, but it's hard to explain. Why would Satan want to scare me into doing something I am suppose to? Why would he care?

~ I use to have those feelings too..... 4-5 years ago.....

I would feel that If I did this wrong thing or, If I don't do this thing.. which is right... God is going to punish me .... that I wouldn't get this or. I wouldn't be able to accomplish this .......

In the end I came to realize that it was just me over-thinking everything... and it was my fear of punishment that actually made me feel/ think this way....

Part of the problem might be that I saw God more of a someone who is there ready to punish us or take something away if I did something wrong... instead of one That is kind and forgiving ...

~ >.< I know it's kinda of confusing hopefully it some what makes sense \

Yana

I don't believe he punishes per say but allows consequences to happen. Say for example an otherwise chaste person slips up and sleeps with someone. I don't believe that God punishes that person in the physical sense (possibly emotional) but he/she might think that if they come away from that experience with an STD or pregnancy as a consequence of that behavior.

I know we as LDS people like to think that if we do what we should be doing then we'll be blessed and nothing bad will ever happen to us. But I've lived long enough to see that often times horrible and tragic things happen to even the best of people, people who are obedient and living as they should.

I don't think punish is an accurate term... I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and opens doors along the way for us to accomplish those things. Sometimes we don't recognize those things or we outright ignore those things. That doesn't mean that Heavenly Father all of the sudden changed his mind and doesn't want you to accomplish that thing anymore. I think He just puts another door to the same opportunity in front of us until we choose to go through.

Your nagging voice saying "If you do that, you won't get what you want" is interesting. Getting what you want isn't really what it's all about, is it?

Just remember. Heavenly Father is merciful, loving and understanding. No need to worry yourself with whether or not you're doing enough, and the whole reason we are on this Earth is to make mistakes and learn from them. We're mortal and imperfect. Heavenly Father understands when we are giving our best and that is good enough for Him because the Atonement makes up the difference.

Hold your head high. You are good enough.

I don't believe he punishes per say but allows consequences to happen. Say for example an otherwise chaste person slips up and sleeps with someone. I don't believe that God punishes that person in the physical sense (possibly emotional) but he/she might think that if they come away from that experience with an STD or pregnancy as a consequence of that behavior.

I know we as LDS people like to think that if we do what we should be doing then we'll be blessed and nothing bad will ever happen to us. But I've lived long enough to see that often times horrible and tragic things happen to even the best of people, people who are obedient and living as they should.

I agree with this.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. I learned at an early age that if I did something wrong I'd receive a black mark in heaven... That had me holding to the iron rod more times than not. Looking back, those principals I held onto set me on the right path with high goals.

Something to consider. Faith and Fear are opposites. You must choose.

This is why I ALWAYS pay my tithing.I always fear that something bad will happen if I don't.I know how you feel but I don't have an answer because I am going through the same thing.I don't understand why some people have it so good all their lives and some people suffer through life.I don't think I will ever understand until I die.When I die I am finding the top manager in heaven because I have a lot of questions to ask. lol

Why would Satan want to scare me into doing something I am suppose to? Why would he care?

Because it can create a, false, understanding of God as the great punisher ready to smack you around for the smallest mistake, to make you think that God is being mean to you. That in the end this misconception can end up separating you from your God. This thought process certainly isn't drawing you closer to God is it?

My own personal philosophy has maintained there are three levels of obedience:

3) Fear of punishment.

2) Desire for reward.

1) Love and trust of God.

3 is better than no obedience, it at least demonstrates a faith in God. If you didn't believe in God and his teachings at all there would be no fear. Which of us here lives in fear of being disobedient to Zeus? However it tends to lead to a concept of God such as you describe, the stern, unloving, unbending being waiting for a chance to punish us for not being perfect.

2 is better than 3, it demonstrates faith and a better understanding of God. That God is there to help us in our journey back towards him rather than being seen as almost an obstacle to happiness. However it can lead to a concept of God as the great vending machine in the sky, that we input obedience and blessings fall into the tray.

1 is the best of them all, it not only demonstrates faith but a best understanding of God yet. That he loves us, that he knows what is best for us, that he's there to help us on our journey back towards him as a loving father. We know that in him we can find our happiness, and because of his love for us, because of his graciousness towards us, we seek to be obedient as a child tries to please their parent. The thought of the smile and approval of the course we are on is at the core of our drive, not the promise of desserts or fear of spankings.

Now these are not mutually exclusive, for example, we can pray to communicate with our loving Father even while recognizing it brings blessings and that failing to do so has consequences, it's more of a continuum. The question is, at the core what drives us?

Indeed, we're told we'll be blessed for obedience but I think there is a tendency to expect those blessings to come in a particular form. Someone pays tithing, feels that means they will be blessed to never experience financial trial, and so when that financial trial comes they wonder why they weren't/aren't blessed. Look at Alma 14:

7 And it came to pass that he began to cry unto the people, saying: Behold, I am guilty, and these men are spotless before God. And he began to plead for them from that time forth; but they reviled him, saying: Art thou also possessed with the devil? And they spit upon him, and cast him out from among them, and also all those who believed in the words which had been spoken by Alma and Amulek; and they cast them out, and sent men to cast stones at them.

8 And they brought their wives and children together, and whosoever believed or had been taught to believe in the word of God they caused that they should be cast into the fire; and they also brought forth their records which contained the holy scriptures, and cast them into the fire also, that they might be burned and destroyed by fire.

9 And it came to pass that they took Alma and Amulek, and carried them forth to the place of martyrdom, that they might witness the destruction of those who were consumed by fire.

10 And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames.

11 But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day.

These people were blessed, they were received up in glory to God, but they weren't spared death by fire. An extreme case but it illustrates the point, to those who think, "I'm obedient, why do I suffer?" I also recommend pondering the following:

5 If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

6 If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Edited by Dravin

Why would god be that mean? Why would he punish me through everything I am going through. I just don't know what to do or even if it is God, but it's hard to explain. Why would Satan want to scare me into doing something I am suppose to? Why would he care?

Sometimes ideas are our own.

God does not punish people to get them to do what is right - that would go against the whole plan of salvation.

Satan does not coerce people to do right.

That leaves you as to where these thoughts are coming from. Perhaps a discussion with a counselor of some kind; LDS social services would be best with the kind of issues you are having as they would understand your belief system which your average counselor would not.

The Proverbs tell us that fear is the beginning of wisdom. They offer us broad guidelines, including reminders of the blessings and troubles that can await us. These are important--and learning them through scripture study is one way we show our love for God.

Communion with God is the deeper way of discernment. We grow in our relationship with our Father. We pray, we listen, we sense his promptings. Since this foundational characteristic of God is love, and since we are told God is not the author of fear, then we should not be feeling constant dread in his presence. Conviction? Sometimes, yes. Not dread though--not the overwhelming dark clouds.

Jesus is the Prince of Peace. The Holy Spirit is Comforter. God makes is stronger and more confident, not fragile and hesitant.

So, if you sense you are on the straight and narrow path (the iron rod), then it may be time to rebuke the Liar--the Accuser of our souls, and ask God for his peace and comfort. On the other hand, if there is a dancing along the border between right and wrong, make full repentence, be cleansed, and walk forward in his forgiveness and mercy.

Hope my outsider view helps. :-)