Newb

sarah331

Hello,

I guess I'd be considered an "investigator" of the church. I married an inactive man and we have twin boys. We faced a terrible time in their pregnancy when we thought they'd have a terminal illness -- thankfully they are okay -- but that sparked my investigation. First it was generally into religion and finding God. Now I feel strongly pulled toward Mormonism. I have been speaking with family and friends who are LDS and of course my husband. He has recently started rereading his BoM.

I've read some of this forum to help with my hesitations about the church (please note, not the religion, the church as an entity and institution) and thought it only fair I start to participate if possible.

I'm a very curious liberal feminist, as is my husband. I guess you would say I came to Mormonism from the backstage -- I know the nitty gritty that have troubled the faithful, and still find ways to believe. I have had one (as Joanna Brooks calls it) "heart stopping" experience with our Heavenly Parents through basic Mormonism and would love to experience more.

That's sort of my story. Thanks.

Welcome Sarah.

You wouldn't be the first (nor will you be the last) that has issues with the flawed people (the leaders are people to) in the church.

I find it helpful to remember that we are all sinners in need of God. Even (or explicitly) when the sins take different forms

Welcome!

I'm also a twin mom who had a rough pregnancy. Mine are very healthy 2-year-olds now, and I give all credit for that to Heavenly Father via prayer and priesthood blessings.

As a "curious liberal feminist" you're gonna have all kinds of reasons to get your hackles up in the church setting. Many have come and gone. Too many let those feelings dominate their thinking. You seem like a nice, sincere woman, and due to that God will certainly lead you in the right direction. I'm glad your little twins prevailed and are doing well. I'm new here too, but I throw out the welcome mat to you as well. Actually, what do I know about the things of life that you are going through? I'm just a breezy extrovert that likes to express an opinion. Hope you don't mind.:D

Hello,

I guess I'd be considered an "investigator" of the church. I married an inactive man and we have twin boys. We faced a terrible time in their pregnancy when we thought they'd have a terminal illness -- thankfully they are okay -- but that sparked my investigation. First it was generally into religion and finding God. Now I feel strongly pulled toward Mormonism. I have been speaking with family and friends who are LDS and of course my husband. He has recently started rereading his BoM.

I've read some of this forum to help with my hesitations about the church (please note, not the religion, the church as an entity and institution) and thought it only fair I start to participate if possible.

I'm a very curious liberal feminist, as is my husband. I guess you would say I came to Mormonism from the backstage -- I know the nitty gritty that have troubled the faithful, and still find ways to believe. I have had one (as Joanna Brooks calls it) "heart stopping" experience with our Heavenly Parents through basic Mormonism and would love to experience more.

That's sort of my story. Thanks.

Your husband is a liberal feminist? Sorry... I couldn't resist.

I'm an old school country boy from Texas, and I don't even know what a feminist is.

I do however know what a liberal is, but I won't hold it against you. :)

I've only been a member of the Mormon Church for about 8 years, but have had a number of those "heart stopping" experiences.

The wife and I have 2 boys (one on his mission in Paraguay and the other has just recently turned in his papers and is waiting for his letter, telling him where he'll be going on his mission).

You have no reason to do so, but really... Trust me on this.

The Lord will abundantly bless you with what you stand in need of... even if you only give Him half a chance.

That doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen, but that whatever does happen, is part of Heavenly Father's plan (for you), and in the end, it will be what you needed most.

Welcome aboard, from your friendly neighborhood Drunk Machine Gunners Club.

Sister Eliza R. Snow

“‘The status of women is one of the questions of the day. Socially and politically it forces itself upon the attention of the world. Some . . . refuse to concede that woman is entitled to the enjoyment of any rights other than those which the whims, fancies or justice, as the case may be, of men may choose to grant her. The reasons which they cannot meet with argument they decry and ridicule; an old refuge for those opposed to correct principles which they are unable to controvert. Others, again, not only recognize that woman’s status should be improved, but are so radical in their extreme theories that they would set her in antagonism to man, assume for her a separate and opposing existence; and to show how entirely independent she should be would make her adopt the more reprehensible phases of character which men present, and which should be shunned or improved by them instead of being copied by women. These are the two extremes, and between them is the ‘golden mean.’”(“Woman’s Status,” Woman’s Exponent, 15 July 1872, 29).

Was reading in the Institute Eternal Marriage Student Manual regarding equality of men and women and this quote came to my mind after reading your post =)

Welcome!