What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

34 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I thought you're going to go to school in Provo!  Doesn't that last more than a year?

No, one semester - winter 2019.

34 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

My treat, of course.  I'll even spring for popcorn and a drink.  I'll put aside the money now so I won't have to worry if I lose my job

:)

My dad grew up in Springville.  I'm thinking the canyon property is outside Springville, but still within technical city limits.  The map shows a road, but presumably it's not maintained in winter.  You have to worry about "BYU approved" anyway - unless they're living with their parents, students have to live in BYU approved housing... :rolleyes:  And can't have pets. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, zil said:

No, one semester - winter 2019.

:)

My dad grew up in Springville.  I'm thinking the canyon property is outside Springville, but still within technical city limits.  The map shows a road, but presumably it's not maintained in winter.  You have to worry about "BYU approved" anyway - unless they're living with their parents, students have to live in BYU approved housing... :rolleyes:  And can't have pets. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WHOA WHOA WHOA!  I was gonna buy/build a house and rent room to students.  Poof... there goes my magic dragon.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA!  I was gonna buy/build a house and rent room to students.  Poof... there goes my magic dragon.

Well, you still can, but unless something has changed, you'll have to work with BYU to become "approved" - no idea what that requires, but it does throw a wrench in the "be autonomous" plan.

12 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, you still can, but unless something has changed, you'll have to work with BYU to become "approved" - no idea what that requires, but it does throw a wrench in the "be autonomous" plan.

Well yes, because I think it's a waste of money to throw it at dorm fees when I can invest the money to buy a house that somebody else is paying for.  But I guess they won't approve something that can only be accessed by snowmobile in the winter.  :D

Ok.  The new Netflix show The Haunting of Hill House.  Started out meh, but now 5 episodes in, I'm hooked for three reasons.  The plot and characters are just getting deeper and more engrossing with every episode.  And as I sit here typing away at my desk, I'm legitimately afraid to turn around.  I enjoy a good irrational worked-up emotional scare state, and here I am.  [Turns around]  Thrilling.  Goosebumps, shiver down the spine, increased breathing and heart rate, and everything.   If you're not a fan of this sensation, you might still like the show anyway.    Finally, the show isn't insulting.  There's reasonable debate about psychological and mental components to the whole thing, as well as how trauma in childhood can just screw you up.  But dang - those jump scares tho.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Jurassic World for last night's date.

I really don't want to pan another move; it's too easy and frankly depressing always to be ragging on movies. But folks, this movie is not just dumb, it's Dumb. That's what you get when you combine thinly veiled (or unveiled) Leftist ideas with gigantic monsters running wild, with no toehold in actual science to base anything on. I kept hoping to see some of the principals get eaten, at the end even the cute little clone girl who unleashes the horrors onto an unsuspecting humanity because, you know, the dinosaurs were clones JUST LIKE HER. I suppose the movie provides a pretty accurate insight into the environmentalism of the Left, who don't actually understand what they want, only that (1) humans are bad and (2) save the animals!

Hunter Killer

Rated R because there's a SEAL team who killed several people and a sniper taking out enemies with head shots - not gory violent, just war violent.

Okay, so my husband loved this movie so much he's watching it again today.  I understand why he loves it - the story was pretty good even as it's nothing new.  What I didn't like about it is the movie has cardboard characters.  Gary Oldman - the greatest actor of all time in my opinion - was wasted on a single-dimensional warhawk character.  The Russian President had a single line, "I need to talk to my generals" and basically did nothing much the rest of the movie (hard to imagine somebody like Putin just standing by in a t-shirt and not pushing to take command), the XO is a cardboard character that gives the commander a hard time, etc. etc.  They were just all serviceable to the story.  And then, the Americans go to the war room to report to "Madame President" styled like Hillary Clinton and I can't help but laugh out loud.  Anyway, we're going to watch it again today but my husband is gonna owe me.  :)

Edited by anatess2

Bohemian Rhapsody

I loved this movie.  First, I love Queen.  I don't know if it is an accurate portrayal of Freddie Mercury or the people around him but I don't care.  That movie is awesome.  It showed  what pure psychological abuse is.  It also showed the value of having a traditional marriage that anchors people who are sexually confused, although Mercury's wife decided to leave him which started Mercury's slide downhill to hedonism as he lost that anchor.  Anyway, there are homosexual displays of affection in this PG13 movie.

Edited by anatess2

16 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

I loved this movie.  First, I love Queen.  I don't know if it is an accurate portrayal of Freddie Mercury or the people around him but I don't care.  That movie is awesome.  It showed  what pure psychological abuse is.  It also showed the value of having a traditional marriage that anchors people who are sexually confused, although Mercury's wife decided to leave him which started Mercury's slide downhill to hedonism as he lost that anchor.  Anyway, there are homosexual displays of affection in this PG13 movie.

It's not. 

One can readily find the many, many places in which the film deviates from actual recorded history, such as when various songs were released. 

Basically, if the film had been about a fictitious band that had parallels to Queen, it'd have been a pretty good movie all things considered (like the many goofs). But there's too much wrong with the film that anyone can easily fact-check for themselves. 

Here's an example:

Spoiler:

In the film, they have Freddie spending much of 1984 by himself working on his solo album. 

In reality, Freddie spent most of 1984 on tour with Queen, as their album "The Works" had been released that February. The song "I Want To Break Free"? It was from that album; the movie implies that it was released circa 1982 / 1983. 

On 11/2/2018 at 6:58 AM, anatess2 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

My wife and I just saw this last night, I couldn't help but to view it through my knowledge of the gospel( wife is not a member) and thought, how sad, what a tragedy. My wife didn't understand how I came to that conclusion, after all he apparently lived happily with his "friend" until his death. It was a very good film by babylon's standards 😄

25 minutes ago, Barrett Maximus said:

My wife and I just saw this last night, I couldn't help but to view it through my knowledge of the gospel( wife is not a member) and thought, how sad, what a tragedy. My wife didn't understand how I came to that conclusion, after all he apparently lived happily with his "friend" until his death. It was a very good film by babylon's standards 😄

He only went down that path because his anchor to righteousness uprooted herself. He longed for her until the very end.  She abandoned her duty.

• 2 weeks later...

Grindelwald

Ok.  I simultaneously loved and hated this movie.  Loved because I love the storyline.  I love the characters.  I love the way it unfolded in the movie.

I hated it because... I REALLY despise sitting through an entire movie that is designed like an episode on TV - there's no conclusion... you wait for the next episode.  You're basically only getting half a movie.

Does this mean I despise sequels?  No.  Not at all.  See, the Harry Potter books that became movies, not including the 7th movie, all stand alone.  Each movie has a specific challenge that gets resolved in the end.  The beauty of the sequel is... these little challenges and resolutions is just one square of a quilt such that when you put each movie together you see the full quilt and how that challenge/resolution contributed to the whole picture.  But you're not left with a movie whose only theme is a presentation of a problem that has to be resolved in the next movie.  I hate it on TV series when I have to wait for the next week for the resolution... that's why I don't watch a TV series until the entire series is done.  How much more on a movie when the next episode is a year or more away!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I haven't posted here in a while.  Saw these movies:

Widows - meh.

Spider's Web - meh.

Green Book - based on a true story.  I liked this one.  It was good seeing a racial discrimination movie where the white guy is a working class Italian and the black guy is a rich elitist who doesn't like mingling with other black people.  It makes for a complex story.  The black guy is also a married man who is a closet homosexual, but that's just glazed over in the movie.

Robin Hood - quite a different twist to a familiar tale.  I liked it.  My kids hated it.  They had "machine gun" arrows and they were done.  Hah hah.  The thing I didn't like is that the Sheriff of Nottingham was made into a smaller villain putting the Cardinal as the bigger villain... but it kinda had to be that way because of the twist in the story which I'm not gonna spoil for ya.

Instant Family - eeermmm... meh.  Had a good message but it was kinda boring and when they had 2 gay guys and a dysfunctional single woman adopting children I was done with it.  

Creed II - AWESOME MOVIE.  Ok, so it's formulaic.  Classic Stallone flick.  But, man, that formula works really good.  There are lots of good messages in this movie.  The "hero" is Adonis Creed.  He is supported by a good Mother and Rocky (of course, he's a good guy even with his demons) who is his father figure.  The "villain" is Viktor Drago.  He is portrayed as an angry, driven young lad.  He is a result of abandonment by his Mother and a father broken by his demons that included his wife's abandonment.  Creed's wife is a very strong supportive wife who has her own ambitions but still supports her husband even when he went through a period of darkness and self-focus while she was herself in a bad place.  They go through an unplanned pregnancy, they get shell-shocked at the discovery, the wife states, "We're not ready for this!" and Creed replies, "We'll be ready.".  I love it!  No pro-abortion message in this movie.  The wife becomes the primary nurturer of the baby but then she gets overloaded so the husband, even when he was at his darkest stage, steps up to the plate.  He ends up fighting his demons with the baby in tow. 

******* SPOILER ALERT  ********

Creed wins against Drago (of course) but it was more that he was fighting himself rather than the enemy, so it was more of Creed winning against his demons than against Drago.  Drago, on the other hand, fought with anger and hate and ended up losing the fight and he is left beaten, confused, and abandoned again by his mother.  But that wasn't the end of the villain.  Rather, we see Drago's father stand by his side.  We are left to think that father and son is going to rebuild themselves. 

Another awesome side-story to this is the baby born with a disability.  Rocky gives advice to Creed that he better not feel sorry for that kid.  Rather he just needs to love that kid because she shouldn't be feeling sorry for herself either.  No victimhood mentality here either.

Edited by anatess2

Ralph Breaks the Internet

I love the Wreck-it Ralph... this one was kinda, meh.  I don't know why.  It was just, meh.  But, there is that racing scene in Slaughter Race that is just super awesome.  I'd watch the movie again just for that racing scene!