What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

48 minutes ago, Klaymen said:

Crazy Rich Asians - really liked it.

Saw this 3 times at the theater and then saw it with my kids over the weekend.  They loved it.  And I was so pleased that they caught that mahjong game!  They still know their mahjong!  They haven't played it in a while.  And now my son is saying, "Bakbak" all day.  Hah hah.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...

Mortal Engines

I liked it.  I haven't read the book at all, didn't even read book flaps.  So I didn't know anything about this movie beyond the trailer.  But then I was in a "rest my brain" mood.  This movie is stuck between 2 age groups - the story is too shallow for the teens and too menacing for the kids.  So you end up with a movie with a whole lot of world building that you can't scratch one-inch beneath the surface because the premise falls apart.  So, I enjoyed just letting my brain rest and watch everything without thinking about it too deeply even just not politicking over the West waging a war to colonize the East thing.  The lead characters were charming enough to interest me in their plight.  But in the end, it really didn't matter much to me if the whole world burned down.  Maybe we'll finally be rid of these teeny-bopper the-world-is-doomed and-the-15-year-old-kid-is-our-only-hope movies.

50 Shades Freed

WAIT Let me finish...

This was, weirdly, the most conservative movie I've watched in a long time.  I'm not going to recommend it because, yes there's nudity... but it was much less than in the others (I think).  What's conservative about is this:  (Spoilers)

Anna (the wife, because yes they're married) discovers she's pregnant.  Christian (the husband) gets upset because he regards this as the end of his time to go to fun vacations and live the high life with his wife.  She lets him know, in no uncertain terms, that he would do well not to put her in a position to have to choose between him and the baby, because he will lose.  After a while he comes around and is glad he will be a dad and goes into supportive husband and father mode.  

What I found conservative about this film is that, firstly, the idea of abortion is never mentioned, nor hinted at, even once, even by the husband who doesn't want to be a dad yet.  She's pregnant, so they're having a kid.  Period.  Second, it praises the idea of the mom-to-be embracing her role as a mom.  Yes, it was unplanned, but she still makes the transition very smoothly.  The husband struggles because he wanted more time to be "free" of the responsibility of fatherhood, but he's not depicted very sympathetically and in fact comes off as a selfish and childish.  It's only after he has a change of heart that his character becomes tolerable again.   

So like I said, I can't recommend the film in good conscience here because of the content, but at least that part is toned down because it has an actual story to tell.

I saw Robin Hood on my son's suggestion because Lars Andersen was the archery consultant/trainer for the film.  And it did incorporate some of his methodology in the training montage.

But . . . the film . . . sucked.

18 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I saw Robin Hood on my son's suggestion because Lars Andersen was the archery consultant/trainer for the film.  And it did incorporate some of his methodology in the training montage.

But . . . the film . . . sucked.

Is that the Russel Crowe one?

On 12/4/2018 at 11:48 PM, SilentOne said:

Important Announcement: I just clicked through to here from the Unread Content page and it actually took me to the last post instead of a couple pages back.

1. When some posts get deleted (there were a bunch of duplicate posts for a while) the page counter gets mixed up on some level.  But the other posts get moved up so that the number of posts showing up on each page is the same.  The page numbering here is one thing.  The link from the forum index is another.  So the references from the index to the actual thread get shifted.

2.  This is the longest running thread we have.  Thus, the shift is most pronounced here than any other thread.  Some of the other longer running threads ill also shift in this manner.  But it only shows up just as the page turns or close to it -- unless there's another thread that has had a LOT of deleted posts.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, unixknight said:

50 Shades Freed

What I found conservative about this film is that, firstly...

So like I said, I can't recommend the film in good conscience here because of the content, but at least that part is toned down because it has an actual story to tell.

Dang unixknight; you sound like a politician. 😮😆

Mortal Engines - our first Christmas Day movie.  Honestly, I found it more engaging to watch the theater employees and guessing at their reasons to want to work on Christmas.  They all seemed mostly happy.

There was zero kissing in the movie, although there were several opportunities.  That was weird.

Bumblebee

We Tranformers fans of the 80's will be super amazed at the awesome nostalgia of the first 5 minutes.  It's exactly like the 80's cartoons - the look, the voices, the fight scenes except on super hi-tech 2018 graphics.  What makes this movie even better is the chick-flicky feel of it - more emotional stuff than war stuff.  This is a Transformers reboot like the Michael Bay movies never happened.  I like it very much.  The only problem I have with it is the scale is off.  Bumblebee looks to be at least 15 feet tall and he doesn't go through the ceiling standing up in a ranch-style house and garage.  I also think John Cena was miscast on this movie or just badly directed.  I love love love John Cena.  But it's like the director can't decide whether to make him John Cena the comedian, John Cena the bullying tough guy, or John Cena the serious misunderstood alpha male - all 3 characters that John Cena does very well separately but becomes confusion put together in a jumbled mess.

Edited by anatess2

I just saw bumblebee too. I have never been a fan of Transformers movies, but this one was alright. I thought the intro was amazing and the ending was alright...but everything in the middle was just dumb. There was no point to it but to make his story 2 hours long.

I also recently saw Venom and Antman and the Wasp. I loved them both.

• 2 weeks later...

Bird Box (rated R for mass suicide)

I watched this Netflix offering because people were saying it's really good.  Watched it and I'm like, huh?  It's Quiet Place but instead Blind Place.  So yeah, Sandra Bullock is her great self and very convincing but I really don't like movies that just tumbles from one set event to another and explains nothing about much of anything.  It makes it just like your regular B-movie horror flick that doesn't make sense except to give audience something to scream about.  That said, the 2 kids especially the girl did really well with their roles in this train wreck of a movie.

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Bird Box (rated R for mass suicide)

I watched this Netflix offering because people were saying it's really good.  Watched it and I'm like, huh?  It's Quiet Place but instead Blind Place.  So yeah, Sandra Bullock is her great self and very convincing but I really don't like movies that just tumbles from one set event to another and explains nothing about much of anything.  It makes it just like your regular B-movie horror flick that doesn't make sense except to give audience something to scream about.  That said, the 2 kids especially the girl did really well with their roles in this train wreck of a movie.

Yeah this movie felt like The Happening meets A Quiet Place.