What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

19 minutes ago, Mores said:

I have difficulty believing that things as simple as the girl power scene as being responsible for bringing us here.  Long before the feminist movement was considered mainstream, we saw scenes just like that one and it didn't change anything.

As you mentioned, I'd consider the gay scene as being more of a problem than the girl power scene.

And to my surprise, here on lds.net, people were saying there's nothing wrong with the Gillette commercial...

This is not about a "Girl Power" Scene.  And the Feminist Movement has been mainstream since women's suffrage.  This is also not about the so-called "Feminist Movement" because this movement is anti-feminist in the same manner that antifa is fascist.  The gay scene and Marvel's direction on females characterized by Captain Marvel is the same problem.  The systemic destruction of Masculinity and Femininity that is the spearhead to the destruction of Family.

Guest Mores
5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I cannot believe that anyone would take a position that it didn't change anything.

Surprise! Someone did.

22 minutes ago, unixknight said:

So yeah I realize that Endgame is the film du jour in this thread but I haven't seen it yet so instead I'll talk about the movie I DID see recently...

Justice League.

Yes, I know it's been out a while.  I'd been delaying watching it because, despite how much I love Superman, I couldn't make myself prioritize it.  I was afraid.

I was right to be afraid, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.  I started writing a lot more but yanno, maybe I'll just start a new thread.  

Justice League is very hard on people who love Superman.  I'm surprised you say it wasn't as bad as you thought.  Well, I guess if you compare it with Batman vs Superman then yeah, it wasn't THAT bad.

Just now, anatess2 said:

Justice League is very hard on people who love Superman.  I'm surprised you say it wasn't as bad as you thought.  Well, I guess if you compare it with Batman vs Superman then yeah, it wasn't THAT bad.

Curious. What's your thinking on this.

I, personally, thought they finally treated Superman kind of like Superman in JL instead of trying to make him Batman -- all dark and brooding.

Guest Mores
2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And to my surprise, here on lds.net, people were saying there's nothing wrong with the Gillette commercial...

What Gillette commercial?

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This is not about a "Girl Power" Scene.  And the Feminist Movement has been mainstream since women's suffrage.  This is also not about the so-called "Feminist Movement" because this movement is anti-feminist in the same manner that antifa is fascist.  The gay scene and Marvel's direction on females characterized by Captain Marvel is the same problem.  The systemic destruction of Masculinity and Femininity that is the spearhead to the destruction of Family.

You actually clarified my point.  I believe that the early feminist movement's stated goals were fine.  Women's suffrage?  Great.  No Problem.  All for it.  Allow women to have more opportunities to take a job in any field of her choosing (as long as she's qualified).  Great. No Problem.  There are many things that I would put in that category.

Get a bunch of women in a battle scene and have them kick some butt?  Great. No Problem.  I really don't see what is wrong with getting a bunch of women in such a scene as opposed to men doing something similar.  I'm more disappointed that it wasn't well executed.  If it were better executed, I don't think anyone would be complaining about it.  It would be a highly entertaining scene.

I raise a fuss when feminism is used to cudgel masculinity or "the patriarchy".  I raise a fuss when my rights are infringed upon.  I raise a fuss when a movement causes legislation to be passed that I don't agree with.  But this scene?  I'm not seeing it.

Was it a "statement"?  Meh.  People can say things.  I've heard a lot worse.  I really don't see why we're making a big deal out of it.

Guest Mores
16 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yep. Naivety lives on.

Hey, just because I lost all my money using methods taught to me in an online technical trading school that was sponsored by Amway after buying a dozen cruise packages from a random stranger who called me up telling me about an advance fee loan that I could get if I forwarded the chain email about my Microsoft computer needing to be fixed and sending my money to a Nigerian princess doesn't make me naive, pal.

Edited by Mores

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I say it wasn't bad because the one thing it got right is one of the things I love about Superman.

In every good Superman movie, there's at least one moment when it seems all is lost, things are bad, and hope is gone.  Then, in a moment, there's a moment of realization when the characters in the film as well as the audience can think

"Superman is here.  Everything's going to be all right now."

I. LOVE. that moment.  

They did manage to work it into this film.

27 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Curious. What's your thinking on this.

I, personally, thought they finally treated Superman kind of like Superman in JL instead of trying to make him Batman -- all dark and brooding.

Ugh... what is NOT wrong with Superman since Man of Steel...

Justice League is just another installment of this idiot reprisal of Superman.  First of all, the manner by which he died in Dawn of Justice was terrible.  His resurrection is just as terrible.  "Oh look, Superman is alive!"  But the world in the movie doesn't seem to care!  And, of course, the heroes didn't even expect the bad guy to realize his box just got used... what a bunch of idiots...  oh, and he looks like he could wipe out the bad guy all on his own but wait... I have to go save some Russians, so see ya later gater...

Edited by anatess2

19 minutes ago, Mores said:

Was it a "statement"?  Meh.  People can say things.  I've heard a lot worse.  I really don't see why we're making a big deal out of it.

I'll explain.

Here's an example of one of the current Hollywood methods:

Introduce a moderately innocuous/insidious moment in a movie.

Announce that moderately innocuous/insidious moment as "an important moment"

Sell the stink out of the movie based on things other than the moment.

Use the sales of the movie as proof positive that those types of moments sell. 

Etc.

Hence you get Beauty and the Beast with a subtle "gay" moment that no one would have noticed if they hadn't announced it, then an explicit "gay" moment in Endgame, followed by a full on gay character in Jungle Cruise, followed by a full on gay super hero with gay scenes and what-have-you in the next superhero movie (if rumors are to be believed, The Eternals). By the time we get past Beauty and the Beast, which had a lot of complaining, no one's complaining any more. We're just rolling our eyes. But still shelling out our hard earned cash. Pretty much everyone complaining about the Beauty and the Beast moment then followed up by going to see it and say, "it wasn't that big of a deal." And so what do we get next? Surprise. Duh.

Even movies like Black Panther, which sold itself on a myriad of things, and only included a few eye-rolling messages, is then explicitly used by Disney as a message that people want more progressivism in their movies. Want more proof! Captain Marvel. Once again -- not that bad, just a bit eye rolling. But the announced message was all about FEMINISM! And despite the stink raised it sells like hotcakes. Message received! More progressivism is desirable...let's put a gay character in now. Best selling movie of all times you say! Sweet...clearly this stuff is wanted! Onward Satan's soldiers!

Hollywood has an agenda and we're paying them to sell us that agenda.

13 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Ugh... what is NOT wrong with Superman since Man of Steel...

Justice League is just another installment of this idiot reprisal of Superman.  First of all, the manner by which he died in Dawn of Justice was terrible.  His resurrection is just as terrible.  "Oh look, Superman is alive!"  But the world in the movie doesn't seem to care!  And, of course, the heroes didn't even expect the bad guy to realize his box just got used... what a bunch of idiots...  oh, and he looks like he could wipe out the bad guy all on his own but wait... I have to go save some Russians, so see ya later gater...

Hmm. I don't disagree...but I'd say these things are problems with the movie, not with the Superman character himself. So perhaps we're meaning different things when we say "wrong with Superman".

41 minutes ago, Mores said:

What Gillette commercial?

That toxic masculinity commercial. 

You actually clarified my point.  I believe that the early feminist movement's stated goals were fine.  Women's suffrage?  Great.  No Problem.  All for it.  Allow women to have more opportunities to take a job in any field of her choosing (as long as she's qualified).  Great. No Problem.  There are many things that I would put in that category.

Get a bunch of women in a battle scene and have them kick some butt?  Great. No Problem.  I really don't see what is wrong with getting a bunch of women in such a scene as opposed to men doing something similar.  I'm more disappointed that it wasn't well executed.  If it were better executed, I don't think anyone would be complaining about it.  It would be a highly entertaining scene.

I raise a fuss when feminism is used to cudgel masculinity or "the patriarchy".  I raise a fuss when my rights are infringed upon.  I raise a fuss when a movement causes legislation to be passed that I don't agree with.  But this scene?  I'm not seeing it.

This was not about JUST the women in a scene to do their thing.  This has been going on with Marvel in the comics that has now flooded like a gaiser into the MCU with the shoehorn of Captain Marvel.  It wasn't executed well because, as I've opined to @Backroads, I'm sure the Russos' arms were twisted to put that scene in.  This is a Disney thing and it seems like Disney finally got Fiege to get on board after Stan Lee died.  Fiege, et. al., has been making noises about "the future of the MCU is female" echoing the direction of Disney Star Wars.  And just to be clear - the fandom has no problem with females leading the franchise as is evident by the sizeable, mostly male following of Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.  They have a problem with TOXIC FEMININITY leading the franchise because it's FOR SURE going to ruin good story-telling and characterization as evidenced by Marvel comics, Star Wars, video games, etc.  And, of course, like all Toxic things, when the fans express their distaste for it, they get to be... tat-tada... Sexists who just can't accept strong female characters.

That scene is an MCU fandom death knell.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Hmm. I don't disagree...but I'd say these things are problems with the movie, not with the Superman character himself. So perhaps we're meaning different things when we say "wrong with Superman".

The Superman character was established in Man of Steel and continued on all the way through Justice League.  It's not a different Superman character (i.e. a reboot).  Those problems with the movie itself is just more stupidity added on to this terrible Superman characterization.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

The Superman character was established in Man of Steel and continued on all the way through Justice League.  It's not a different Superman character (i.e. a reboot).  Those problems with the movie itself is just more stupidity added on to this terrible Superman characterization.

Well I can't really disagree fully with that.

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Well I can't really disagree fully with that.

The word on the street is... they're going to reboot anyway, even with the success of Wonder Woman and Aquaman.  Seems like Henry Cavill is not going to be Superman anymore.  Which is a shame because I actually like Henry Cavill (Tristan and Isolde, Mission Impossible, etc. etc.).  Superman was just badly written/directed.  Anyway, Man of Steel 2 was taken out of the drawing board as well as Batman and Justice League 2.  It seems like DCEU is going to change direction and halt the League-type movies in lieu of stand-alone ones.  There's still no word on what they're going to do with Superman or Batman.  Seems like Batman is only going to be a passing mention in the new Joker movie.  By the way... this new Joker movie looks HIGHLY interesting.  I am all in favor of Joaquin Phoenix taking over the role although they're saying Jared Leto is not out as Joker yet (seems like this movie coming up is a younger? version of Joker when Batman was still a little kid so he grows up to be Jared Leto).  I just hope they stay with a PG13 rating.  Intense psychological thrillers like how the trailer portrays it usually end up with an R.  Anyway, there's some hope that DC is going to get their act straight.  It would be great capitalization if the MCU ends up going downhill.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Endgame. SPOILERS!

I admit, I exclaimed aloud when Cap picked up Mjolnir. I bawled like a baby with Tony and Pepper at the end. I, too, wondered about the backstory of Nat and Clint. I had some serious issues with the timeline problems. But, I enjoyed the movie overall. I'm glad it's over (ok, not really, as there will be movies with Spiderman, Marvel, Dr. Strange, and what the heck happened to Loki???). 

So here's the last movies I watched since Endgame:

Little - This was hilarious.  It's like Big - except becoming Little instead of Big.  Several places make you go... uhm... how did the office people not see anything wrong with this picture... but, if you just don't think about it too deeply, it's good fun.

The Intruder - I don't like scary movies but my husband begged me to go see this one.  It wasn't really scary but more like creepy.  I wasn't able to watch A Dog's Journey because I couldn't get over the creepiness of Dennis Quaid's freaky smile from this movie!

The Hustle - haven't seen Dirty Rotten Scoundrels so a lot of the things that my husband liked about the movie, I didn't get.  This was kinda boring to me.  Hathaway is a great actress but I think she overacted this one.

Tolkien - good movie about the life of the writer.  But this is really not about the life of Tolkien - which is kinda why I left the theater disappointed because I was expecting a biopic of Tolkien.  This movie is really about The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and how some of Tolkien's life experiences influenced the world of Middle Earth.  So, people who, in the whole scheme of things of the entirety of the life of Tolkien seems just a footnote became much bigger in this story because they have an influence on Middle Earth.  So, I guess if you go into the movie understanding that's what you're getting and not "the life of Tolkien", then you'll enjoy it much more.

Detective Pikachu - this was a bit too kiddy for me and my only exposure to Pokemon is accompanying my nephew to trade his cards and ended up paying $55 on a piece of cardboard named Charizard so I didn't enjoy it as much as the 2 young girls seated next to me who oooh'd and aaaah'd and giggled with glee when some other pokemon they know passes by on screen or does some power something that they know.  The story was good, though, with a twist in the end that I didn't expect.  Ryan Reynolds is his funny Deadpool self without the crass jokes.

John Wick 3 - I'm a die-hard John Wick fan.  John Wick can't do wrong, in my opinion.  John Wick is bloody and this 3rd chapter is no exception.  Let's see... they didn't have pencil-fu in this chapter but they had book-fu and dog-fu and horse-fu.  Halle Berry was super awesome in this movie too.  I really liked all her fu scenes and so I'm gonna back to the theater and watch this again and again just to see those scenes a few more times.

Guest Mores
4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

John Wick 3 - I'm a die-hard John Wick fan.  John Wick can't do wrong, in my opinion.  John Wick is bloody and this 3rd chapter is no exception.  Let's see... they didn't have pencil-fu in this chapter but they had book-fu and dog-fu and horse-fu.  Halle Berry was super awesome in this movie too.  I really liked all her fu scenes and so I'm gonna back to the theater and watch this again and again just to see those scenes a few more times.

Have you seen the graphic novel of John Wick's origin story?

Guest Mores
1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

No, I haven't.

Youtube it.  Comicstorian is the user handle.  I don't think it was the same writers.  At least they didn't seem to capture Keanu's essence.  But worth listening to.  It would be a plausible origin for such an icon.

4 minutes ago, Mores said:

Youtube it.  Comicstorian is the user handle.  I don't think it was the same writers.  At least they didn't seem to capture Keanu's essence.  But worth listening to.  It would be a plausible origin for such an icon.

Hmm... it's by Greg Pak, not Derek Kolstad.  Interesting.

Alladin

So, I couldn’t critique this movie properly because I’m just dazzled by Jasmine’s gowns.  I want them all.

And then they pull out some Bollywood and I’m like... the movie can suck like an Oreck and I’m still gonna think it’s the best Disney live adaptation ever.  😂😂😂

About Will Smith.  He’s in this impossible position to have to fill a role written for and perfectly executed by Robin Williams.  Hats off to the Fresh Prince though, for making this genie all his own.  This is what I liked most about the movie - unlike the other live adaptations (I’m not fond of them), I went through the entire movie rarely thinking about how it compared to the animated movie.

I don’t like the new Jasmine song.  Too commercial pop.  They already have A Whole New World for that.