What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Legion is dark and very weird.  Absolutely an acquired taste.  If you've ever felt the spirit flee in the presence of darkness, you might be turned off by Legion.  If, however, you see nobility in an inward battle against the darkness that seems to be everywhere and in everything including you, then give it a try.  The thing grapples with notions of sanity and insanity, and the impact that has on the reality of good or evil.  Not a show for people who like clear lines and happy endings.

That said, dance battle on the astral plane between the protagonist and the Shadow King and his minion is top notch.

If you found profound meaning and depth in Pink Floyd's The Wall, you'll probably love Legion.

Edited by NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, Maureen said:

From @NeuroTypical's description, the Legion he mentioned is a TV series. The main character is David who is diagnosed with schizophrenia. Some of the characters are so strange that I find it hard to wrap my head around them. It's a creative show but too way out there for me.

M.

Gotchya, I was thinking of ‘Titan’, a dark take on the teens titans

Joker (rated R for psychological disturbing theme and violence)

Okay, so I was expecting this to be not the normal popcorn fare of superhero movies from all the hype.   But manoman... this was one heck of a movie.  I'm still not sure what to make of it and I don't want to go see it again to get a better grasp of what I think of it.  Instead of the normal superhero flick of archetypes magnifying everyday heroism and villainy into a fun action packed adventure this movie dives deep into the mind of one of those super popular villains (that was intended to be a simple counterpoint to a hero and wouldn't need a backstory to explain his actions).  So, I'm inclined to not call this a comicbook superhero/supervillain movie.  This is a character study of a deeply disturbed person that got the bad deal in the lottery of worldly existence that just happens to be a character in a comicbook.  I wouldn't call this entertaining as one wouldn't call Schindler's List entertaining.  Rather, it's one of those movies that makes you think about the real world and reflect on its cracks.

Joaquin Phoenix is phenomenal in this one.  He's seemingly in every single frame of the movie and there's not one scene where he did not deliver an amazing performance.  And goodness gracious...the lengths these actors go to to transform their physical bodies to portray a character is mind boggling.  I just saw Phoenix on a very recent interview and he looks normal and even pudgy again.

Guest Godless
On 9/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Fether said:

I have had this long standing belief that if a movie is not intended to have a sequel, but a sequel is made anyway, the second movie is ALWAYS terrible as they tend to be just cash grabs  (I’m sure everyone can agree)... That being said, My wife turned in Madagascar 2 yesterday for our son. And I have to say that as far as sequels for standalone movies go, it was pretty alright. There are a few moments in the movie that I can’t help but chuckle at even right now as I write this. 

... Madagascar 3 though... don’t waste your time (although there is one line from Sarge where they are trying to take off in a solid gold airplane and the questio is asked if it is too heavy and he responds “We’re rich! The laws of physics do t apply to us!” And they take off (

The penguins got their own spinoff movie that received mixed reviews, but I thought it was really good.

15 hours ago, Godless said:

The penguins got their own spinoff movie that received mixed reviews, but I thought it was really good.

Not only that, but the movie was finished early!

It was a Thanksgiving release, but wasn't originally slated to actually debut until March of the next year. But because it was done early and another Thanksgiving release was running late it was slotted in place of the other movie.

...And a good thing it was. I was having a pretty miserable day  before I went to see it (backed-up toilet, arguments with family, drama at work, et cetra) and it was about the only thing that made it all better. 

Ad Astra

This was the boringest movie ever.  I couldn't track what's happening in the movie as the 6 teenagers infront of us were so bored they all got on their phones playing games with each other, giggling and stuff because my husband next to me started snoring!  I got more interested in their phones than the movie.  The people on the other side of me got so annoyed they called security to kick the teenagers out causing a ruckus... the teenagers left and after a few minutes later  my husband started snoring again...

Anyway, the movie might be a good one but I couldn't tell you about it.

Edited by anatess2

Gemini Man

Watched this on 3D +HFR.

So... it was like watching The Matrix... that movie had very low-key advertising.  We didn't know much about the movie except Keanu Reeves dodging bullets scene and even that one was protracted in the trailer.  So, we entered the theater not expecting anything and WHAAAAM... Trinity flies in the middle of the room, the scene stopped and the camera spun around the room... WHOA MAMA!  I was at the edge of my seat from that moment until the end of the movie.  It was just that mind-bogglingly COOL!  But yeah, it's become old tech now... they even have Shrek spinning camera angles now... even youtubers can do it now.

Gemini Man got me like that... that high frame rate is quite something!  But instead of WHOA MAMA, I got the... stop stop stop! reaction.  I didn't get the COOL! impact.  I got the This Ain't Right reaction.  It could be because I have really bad depth perception and the combination of 3D and HFR was just throwing me off.  It just felt like the entire thing was shot on a stage instead of on location - it was too "clean".  Ok... I guess it's like listening to a rock concert on gritty recording versus listening to the same songs on a studio album.  I much prefer the gritty recording for that "Live" feeling.

Okay, so this movie is not about the story - which was simple - nor the characters - cardboard - nor the dialogue - David Benioff expositions galore, ugh.  It was all about the set action scenes filmed on the new-fangled 120HFR.  As action scenes and camera work goes... it's awesome.  And Will Smith and Winstead (Sky High, Live Free Die Hard) did really cool action scenes... oh, it's BOTH Will Smiths... because there's 2 of them here. So that's why my review of it is about the HFR.

Joker. 

Again.

Okay, I took my eldest son this time.  He loved it.  After the movie, we had a long talk about it and we both came up with several theories on what the story meant in the Batman universe and then we started talking about what it meant for us in real life... loooooong discussion.

So, now I'm going to say... this is an awesome movie.  It has sooo many layers to it such that my son and I can talk non-stop about it for hours.

Guest Gallant Pioneer

Finished watching the 2018 Predators movie....i know, but I was a fan of the mythology years ago as a kid. 

Anyways the predator movies have always had sprinkles of comic relief here and there but the writers seemed to be more focused on the jokes than the predator. 

It wasn't a bad movie as such but it didn't feel like predator. 

The predator from 2010 felt like a rerun of the 80s but it still worked. 

Anyways I'm rambling. Not really my type of thing anymore but it had its moments. 

I'm going to run my eye over the shape of water next. 

• 1 month later...

So I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - the Mr. Rogers show.  

If you only go see one movie this year, that should be the one.   What a touching, tender treatment of the man!  What an impactful and powerful story of the healing power of repentance and forgiveness!  Having a hard time believing this thing came out of hollywood.  

It was truly beautiful.  Take kleenex.  And all the people important in your life.

Midway was a great movie. They actually kept it (mostly) historically accurate. Which for a Hollywood production is pretty dang good! Some of the crazier events in the movie really occured, even some things that I thought were dramatic nonsense which shows that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. It's not perfect, some of the actors did better than others, and there were a few scenes that felt a little choppy that needed more on screen development, but overall it was a very good historical flick.

11 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Midway was a great movie. They actually kept it (mostly) historically accurate. Which for a Hollywood production is pretty dang good! Some of the crazier events in the movie really occured, even some things that I thought were dramatic nonsense which shows that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. It's not perfect, some of the actors did better than others, and there were a few scenes that felt a little choppy that needed more on screen development, but overall it was a very good historical flick.

I have a book written by one of the Japanese naval officers who was at the battle; it's based on an early draft of his official report, and was translated & annotated by the US Navy. 

If anything, the film understates how badly unprepared the Japanese were for Midway. The Japanese military leaders figured that Midway would be an easy victory, and so they completely ignored anything and everything that could even hint at failure because they felt it to be unrealistic. Couple this with their poor intelligence (not only did they not realize the US had done a rush job of getting a damaged carrier operational, they hit the same carrier twice during the battle without even realizing it and presumed it sank both times), and you can see why they were so vulnerable to utter destruction.

7 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I have a book written by one of the Japanese naval officers who was at the battle; it's based on an early draft of his official report, and was translated & annotated by the US Navy. 

If anything, the film understates how badly unprepared the Japanese were for Midway. The Japanese military leaders figured that Midway would be an easy victory, and so they completely ignored anything and everything that could even hint at failure because they felt it to be unrealistic. Couple this with their poor intelligence (not only did they not realize the US had done a rush job of getting a damaged carrier operational, they hit the same carrier twice during the battle without even realizing it and presumed it sank both times), and you can see why they were so vulnerable to utter destruction.

Agreed, they really were rushing into disaster. This movie was the first one to show that well, especially how Admiral Nagumo, despite being a skilled sailor, was out of his depth being in command of a carrier fleet.

We got pretty lucky too when our dive bombers followed a destroyer out hunting a sub back to the fleet. Not to mention those poor torpedo bombers, God rest their brave souls, who made it possible for our dive bombers to succeed by drawing all of the fighters down after them. I was really happy the movie showed their heroic sacrifice made sure they weren't forgotten.

By the way what was the name of the book you mentioned? I'd be interested in reading it. 

7 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Agreed, they really were rushing into disaster. This movie was the first one to show that well, especially how Admiral Nagumo, despite being a skilled sailor, was out of his depth being in command of a carrier fleet.

We got pretty lucky too when our dive bombers followed a destroyer out hunting a sub back to the fleet. Not to mention those poor torpedo bombers, God rest their brave souls, who made it possible for our dive bombers to succeed by drawing all of the fighters down after them. I was really happy the movie showed their heroic sacrifice made sure they weren't forgotten.

By the way what was the name of the book you mentioned? I'd be interested in reading it. 

Full title of the work as listed on the title page:

Midway

The Battle That Doomed Japan

The Japanese Navy's Story

by

Mitsuo Fuchida

Former Captain, Imperial Japanese Navy

and

Masatake Okumiya

Former Commander, Imperial Japanese Navy

The edition I have was put out by Ballantine Books in 1955 and features a foreword by Admiral Spruance himself. It was translated by the US Naval Academy at Annapolis, who if I read it right have the copyright as of the date of publication. 

As Fuchida explains at the beginning of the book, the loss was so devastating that for a full decade it was illegal for anyone to publicly discuss the battle, let alone the full details. The reason why he used an early draft of his report as the basis for the book was that his final draft, upon submission to his superiors, seemingly vanished; he has no idea where it went. The only reason he even had this early draft was because he'd absentmindedly stowed it in a foot locker and forgotten about it until such time as he was cleaning the foot locker out some time later. 

Essentially, the original Japanese release of the book was the first time most Japanese civilians even knew the battle had taken place, let alone how it turned the war for the United States. For obvious reasons, when the United States Navy found out about the book, they quickly bought the rights to produce an English-language version so that they could study the Japanese side of the battle. The annotations are in place to note differences in the American and Japanese accounts, especially since Japanese intelligence was so poor and at least one key witness Fuchida relies on in a scene contradicts other witnesses whose recorded statements were in US Navy possession. 

For the two other people in the world who might care, there are copious RWBY things appearing in the background of the movie Doctor Sleep.

(I'm guessing there are maybe two other people in the world who like RWBY and Stephen King's The Shining.  I doubt any of them are on this board, but whatever.)

In other news, Doctor Sleep is a tenderhearted show about bringing closure to a traumatic childhood, breaking a multi-generational cycle of alcoholism, and becoming a better person in order to benefit the next generation. Just disguised as a horror movie that will give you nightmares.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:
In other news, Doctor Sleep is a tenderhearted show about bringing closure to a traumatic childhood, breaking a multi-generational cycle of alcoholism, and becoming a better person in order to benefit the next generation. Just disguised as a horror movie that will give you nightmares.

With rare exceptions I don't think Stephen Kings books transition well to film. Glad you liked it though!  

4 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Little Women. And since apparently we are reviewing movies by talking about the previews for other shows now, I will say that the previews for Mulan and Just Mercy got me interested in seeing the actual movies. All the rest seemed fine.

The lead actress in the "Mulan" remake went on public record calling for the police down in Hong Kong to kill all of the protesters there. 

This may get the film rave reviews in China, but boycott movements are already stirring here in the West. 

If they make the film into a box office disaster, then Disney's going to be in major financial trouble. 

Cats.  Yep, the movie adaptation of the broadway musical.  I remember seeing the musical with a bunch of college girls and being somewhere between disgusted and bored.  My tastes have changed.   For some reason, I find enormous dumps of melodramatic emotion enjoyable now, when done well.  Although I'll never understand how people can act like that and not burst out laughing at how ridiculous everything is.  

Two snaps up to the guy who played Gandalf.  Seeing him lapping up a bowl of milk and preening himself by licking his hand isn't gonna be an image I'll have out of my mind any time soon though.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Although I'll never understand how people can act like that and not burst out laughing at how ridiculous everything is.  

I felt the same way watching Battlefield Earth. 

Knives Out..  A mystery along the lines of Murder She Wrote and Murder on the Orient Express.

Basically the standard the Detective asks a question... the audience sees what really happens, then we hear the lies the suspect tells.  With the tension being how does the suspect screw up so that the Detective figures it out.  (Because the Detective always does)

It has a twist that you may or may not see coming. (I misjudged it)

It is rated PG-13 primarily for language (Swearing and crude sexual references). Which in my opinion it could have done just fine without. And since it is about death and murder there is a bit of violence directly related to that which I think was more necessary to the story.