What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

38 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Knives Out..  A mystery along the lines of Murder She Wrote and Murder on the Orient Express.

Basically the standard the Detective asks a question... the audience sees what really happens, then we hear the lies the suspect tells.  With the tension being how does the suspect screw up so that the Detective figures it out.  (Because the Detective always does)

It has a twist that you may or may not see coming. (I misjudged it)

It is rated PG-13 primarily for language (Swearing and crude sexual references). Which in my opinion it could have done just fine without. And since it is about death and murder there is a bit of violence directly related to that which I think was more necessary to the story.

What about the real review everyone wants to know:

Daniel Craig's accent?

• 3 weeks later...

It was a mini-series, if that counts, 'The Great Train Robbery' (2013). It's in 2 parts, one being the robbery from the robbers' POV and one from the police's. I guess the last movie movie was 'Legend' with Tom Hardy where he plays the Kray twins, kingpins of the London underground in the 60's. I learned about the Krays when I went to London in 1990 and a movie about them had just been released. I found it fascinating that while I was all into the Beatles, etc., these guys were ruling their world. 

Bad Boys for Life - Rated R

The bad guy is super cool!  I really really like him.  This is his first big gig so I hope he appears on more action movies in the future!  The rest of the movie was ok, nothing special.  The scriptwriters decided to mention 4chan as something the cops would monitor for terrorist activity and I'm like... hah hah...  

It seems like they're setting the thing up for another sequel with the new guy replacing Martin Lawrence.

Edited by anatess2

Dolittle

Robert Downey was incomprehensible in this movie.  Okay okay, so I'm Filipino and have a terrible time with accents but I'm usually good with most UK accents even the Yorkshire and cockney ones.  But I can't make out most of Downey's words.

21 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Dolittle

Robert Downey was incomprehensible in this movie.  Okay okay, so I'm Filipino and have a terrible time with accents but I'm usually good with most UK accents even the Yorkshire and cockney ones.  But I can't make out most of Downey's words.

That's because Dolittle talks to animals.

tenor.gif?itemid=11223667

Watched “Inside Out” for the 4th time the other day. It is the only movie I actually enjoy watching more than once. Also one of the only movies that brings me to tears. The whole miss application of emotions by Joy just gets me the whole way through the movie 

Edited by Fether

My granddaughter is a smidge over 2 years old and she really likes monster movies. She loves Monsters, Inc. and The Nightmare Before Christmas (she calls it "This is Halloween" because of the song). Lately when she comes over she's been asking for monster movies to watch so we watched Coraline together. I don't think it was quite the monster movie she was looking for but I really liked it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for animated and non-animated monster movies to try?

M.

14 hours ago, Maureen said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for animated and non-animated monster movies to try?

M.

My son really liked Monster House. Admittedly, it is kinda creepy in some parts and maybe too old for her. 

Another is A Corpse Bride. This one is on the same level as A Nightmare Before Christmas. 

Maybe not a “monster movie” per say, but Disney’s Princess and the Frog has monster-esque people. Seems to be another favorite of fans of that genre. 

Well, it's an older movie.  I watched the Happiest Millionaire.  I had to look it up as it is not the same as it was many decades ago.  It looks like they cut much of it originally and released a long version (or the original unedited version which wasn't shown in theaters I suppose) on the DVD. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Frozen 2.  Judge me all you want, I don't care.  Loved that movie.  

Why would you be judged for it?  Don't you remember everybody... and I mean including a platoon of hardened Marines... singing that song?

Ugh, now that song is gonna be in my head all day.

Togo

Watched this over 5 times the past month.

Sonic

This was so fun... But, yeah, I was hooked from the moment I heard "Sega" in that electronic voice.  Geek-out moment.  Loved this movie even as I generally don't find Jim Carrey funny.  His over-acting bits worked with his character.  If you see this movie, stay for 2 after-credit scenes... especially if you're a Sonic geek.  The scene before the theater goes dark is worth the wait!  I was in the theater at opening night and the theater was packed with a bunch of tween boys who I thought couldn't possibly have grown up with Sonic so they must have been dragged into the theater by their parents.  We all stayed for the end-credit scenes because some guy in the theater told us there's a couple of them.  Anyway, the last end-credit scene showed and these tweens jumped in their chairs saying her name and I'm like... WHOA!  These boys Sonic!

Edited by anatess2

Frozen 2 spoilers:

Ugh, now that song is gonna be in my head all day.

Which "that song" is in your head?  I have at least 3 from that movie.  Including both of Olaf's renditions of childlike innocence. 

Olaf the trusting innocent child deals with notions of death and is comforted by an adult who is in denial about starring in a movie where everything will change.

Olaf the trusting innocent child deals with scary things he doesn't understand by repeating the comforting lies he has been told by the adults in his life.  

Then Olaf dies, having found his way through some of the lies.  Pretty dang dark for a kid's movie.
image.thumb.png.43bafaad39bf833a5401326dec241449.png

Fortunately, he was saved by the random facts he's found on the internet, including "water has memory".

23 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Frozen 2 spoilers:

Fortunately, he was saved by the random facts he's found on the internet, including "water has memory".

This.  This is awesome pseudo science.  Much much better than the freaky dog expressions on Call of the Wild (which is the reason I haven't watched it yet).

Call of the Wild

My husband liked it.  I didn't.  The story was great, the vista was breathtaking.  I don't like the dog.  I am just not fond of overly anthropomorphizing dogs unless it's a cartoon.  They're already very expressive as they are, they don't need to make human expressions for us to empathize with the dog's character.  A dog making the human not drink alcohol without any previous hint of the dog having any experience with alcohol, a dog knowing the human would want to have his harmonica back.  A dog knowing how to sled just because you talked to him about it... even ignoring the musher's commands and go on a path through the mountains thinking it's a safer path when the dog was never shown to have passed through there before.... these are not dog experiences.

Now Togo.  That movie is much better at telling a Dog story.  So when I got home from Call of the Wild, I went and watched Togo again.

37 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Call of the Wild

My husband liked it.  I didn't.  The story was great, the vista was breathtaking.  I don't like the dog.  I am just not fond of overly anthropomorphizing dogs unless it's a cartoon. ..

Now Cujo.  That movie is much better at telling a Dog story.  So when I got home from Call of the Wild, I went and watched Cujo again.

😱🙀😱

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

😱🙀😱

Hah!  I did not get to watch Cujo because my mom banned us from seeing it!  Now... the Amazing Dobermans, on the other hand, was one of my fave movies of my early memories.  I was never a Lassie gal.   :)