What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Just finished the first season of “The Chosen”, A crowd funded Series about Christ and the apostles. I would say it is a must watch. It’s free on “The Chosen” app and through Vidangel.

Their portrayal of each apostle and Christ are unique and very convincing (particularly Christ).

But seriously, go watch this masterpiece. The first Christ centered show I have ever enjoyed from purely a viewer perspective and not just a Christian perspective

Edited by Fether

Peanut Butter Falcon

very good movie. A solid story lacking in expected cheap cinematic tropes and doesn’t seek to wow. Not overly predictable nor unpredictable. Has a satisfying and subtle climax.

• 1 year later...

Encanto.  Holy crap, I did not expect that movie, especially from Disney.  I don’t think I’ve been so moved by a show in several years.

Strong, meaningful family values.  The show preaches the values of repentance and forgiveness, as well as any conference talk.

I’m intimately familiar with the “strong and respected family where individuals suffer in the name of family first“ themes.  I’ve been to that family dinner where it all comes crashing down.  I’m related to Bruno.  Luisa is my sista from another mista-I’ve sung parts of her song since 1983.  Truly, my favorite movie of the year.  I liked it at least twice as much as Dune.

Oh, and you know how over the last several decades, we’ve all come to expect the husbands and fathers to be portrayed as foolish bumblers, optional, or unimportant?  Well, the solution to that has apparently arrived. The unexpected vehicle is the increased racial minority representation and glorification in shows.  Basically, if there’s going to be dads, but none of them can be white dads, then it’s ok to portray them as good, strong, moral, smart, etc.

Edited by NeuroTypical

My almost-24-year-old, home for Christmas from BYU, told us a few days ago that he had never seen the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility. We corrected that oversight post haste. To be honest, I noticed flaws and characterization choices that I never noticed in the past four or five or six (or however many) times I have watched it. Still, it was two hours well-spent.

Edited by Vort

8 hours ago, Vort said:

My almost-24-year-old, home for Christmas from BYU, told us a few days ago that he had never seen the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. We corrected that oversight post haste. To be honest, I noticed flaws and characterization choices that I never noticed in the past four or five or six (or however many) times I have watched it. Still, it was two hours well-spent.

*Two* hours?  I thought the whole thing was, like, four?

And, yeah.  I still think it’s the best, and the parents in that film are the most watchable of any P&P version I’ve seen. But, on rewatching, the parents’ characters do come off as somewhat over-the-top; as it’s hard to believe a Regency family of *any* social class would put up with a daughter as overtly obnoxious as 1995’s Lydia.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

17 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Encanto.  Holy crap, I did not expect that movie, especially from Disney.  I don’t think I’ve been so moved by a show in several years.

Strong, meaningful family values.  The show preaches the values of repentance and forgiveness, as well as any conference talk.

I’m intimately familiar with the “strong and respected family where individuals suffer in the name of family first“ themes.  I’ve been to that family dinner where it all comes crashing down.  I’m related to Bruno.  Luisa is my sista from another mista-I’ve sung parts of her song since 1983.  Truly, my favorite movie of the year.  I liked it at least twice as much as Dune.

Oh, and you know how over the last several decades, we’ve all come to expect the husbands and fathers to be portrayed as foolish bumblers, optional, or unimportant?  Well, the solution to that has apparently arrived. The unexpected vehicle is the increased racial minority representation and glorification in shows.  Basically, if there’s going to be dads, but none of them can be white dads, then it’s ok to portray them as good, strong, moral, smart, etc.

Huh.  I had written it (and Coco) off as blatant corporatist woke/PC pandering.  Guess I’ll have to take another look.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's absolutely blatant corporatist woke PC pandering.  But this isn't about the current popular deviant behavior, it's about the current popular boosting representation of minority demographics.  But it's just set the mountains of Colombia, where there's no white ppl, so there's really nothing objectionable about it.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

*Two* hours?  I thought the whole thing was, like, four?

And, yeah.  I still think it’s the best, and the parents in that film are the most watchable of any P&P version I’ve seen. But, on rewatching, the parents’ characters do come off as somewhat over-the-top; as it’s hard to believe a Regency family of *any* social class would put up with a daughter as overtly obnoxious as 1995’s Lydia.  

My bad. Corrected above to Sense and Sensibility. He had already seen P&P, and I wasn't ready to do a six-hour marathon anyway.

FWIW, I have always found Lydia's characterization in the book (and brilliantly done in the A&E/BBC P&P by Julia Sawalha) to be a spoiled and boorish young woman who draws attention to herself constantly, almost insufferably, yet is so charming and pretty that anyone under the age of about 30 gives her a pass—which, after all, is all she cared about anyway. I have spent more time than I ought wondering how the world's Lydias turn out in life, and deciding that their relentless upbeat nature must eventually be worn down by the consequences of their short-sighted actions and head-shakingly stupid choices. I don't have a daughter like Lydia, but I could see having one. It would be a headache, and almost certainly a heartache.

I've been geeking out on musical modes the last few weeks, and have loved the fact that the two other major modes (other than our "normal" major mode, Ionian) are called Lydian and Mixolydian.

17 minutes ago, Vort said:

I've been geeking out on musical modes the last few weeks, and have loved the fact that the two other major modes (other than our "normal" major mode, Ionian) are called Lydian and Mixolydian.

Don't forget the Deceptive Cadence!

https://dictionary.onmusic.org/terms/1034-deceptive_cadence#:~:text=[English],)%2C but sometimes something else.

"The King's Man"

We have a film that got a double whammy in terms of "being a prequel and so had to fit with what came after" and "film that is set in a fixed historical period and so had to fill in the gaps", the end result being that we have a movie which was smothered under its own premise. 

On 12/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ironhold said:

"The King's Man"

We have a film that got a double whammy in terms of "being a prequel and so had to fit with what came after" and "film that is set in a fixed historical period and so had to fill in the gaps", the end result being that we have a movie which was smothered under its own premise. 

Now am I correct in assuming that was a prequel to the Kingsmen movies? I enjoyed the first one, never saw the second, but worried this one might be a bit much.

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

Now am I correct in assuming that was a prequel to the Kingsmen movies? I enjoyed the first one, never saw the second, but worried this one might be a bit much.

It was.

It's supposed to explain how the Kingsmen organization is first developed and why. 

As far as the second movie goes, you're better off not watching it. It ended in such a fashion that there's no real way forward for the franchise, hence the prequel. 

26 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Wheel of Time Season 1.  Overall it is pretty good, though I think anyone who has not read the books is going to get lost.

I read the first few in high school. Husband listens to the series annually.

I've enjoyed watching him fuming over watching the series. He's not happy.

13 hours ago, Backroads said:

I read the first few in high school. Husband listens to the series annually.

I've enjoyed watching him fuming over watching the series. He's not happy.

I'm sorry to hear that.  My dad loved the book series, but I haven't heard his review of the tv series.  

On 12/22/2021 at 12:05 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Huh.  I had written it (and Coco) off as blatant corporatist woke/PC pandering.  Guess I’ll have to take another look.  

Dude- Coco is AMAZING!!!  You're totally missing out, especially as a Latter-Day Saint.  

I'm really looking forward to Encanto, whenever our next movie night happens.

"No way home".

I'm a long time Spider Man fan, whom went to see a movie specifically aimed at me, and yes I was very happy.  It's also aimed at a general audience and is a generally very good movie.  Not flawless but very good.  I also won't say that it's my favorite Spider Man movie (Spider Man 2 remains uncontested), but I don't feel that it should even put in that race.  Much like "Endgame", it's a love letter to the previous movies more than anything.  

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

"No way home".

I'm a long time Spider Man fan, whom went to see a movie specifically aimed at me, and yes I was very happy.  It's also aimed at a general audience and is a generally very good movie.  Not flawless but very good.  I also won't say that it's my favorite Spider Man movie (Spider Man 2 remains uncontested), but I don't feel that it should even put in that race.  Much like "Endgame", it's a love letter to the previous movies more than anything.  

Disney is dealing with a fair bit of legal drama concerning the Spider-Man character. 

Not only do they still have to share the movie rights with Sony, the estate of Steve Ditko has announced its intention to sue for partial control of all characters Ditko created or co-created, which will mean Disney would have to pay royalties for their use and possibly have to submit certain things to the Ditko estate for approval. 

The movie, to put it bluntly, was Disney realizing that as popular and lucrative as the character is, he was now something of a liability and they needed to sideline him until the legal stuff was all taken care of. 

"American Underdog"

Kurt Warner and his wife Brenda were producers on their own bio pic, so of course it's fairly accurate even if they did have to trim a few things out (like his short stint playing football in Europe) for expediency. 

2 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

"American Underdog"

Kurt Warner and his wife Brenda were producers on their own bio pic, so of course it's fairly accurate even if they did have to trim a few things out (like his short stint playing football in Europe) for expediency. 

I haven’t seen the movie, but his story is fantastic. To go from being a stocker in a grocery store to winning the Super Bowl. That, my friends, is why we love both this country and sports 

On 12/21/2021 at 7:02 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Finally watched it. Quite enjoyed it. Great music. Some of the plot seemed slightly underbaked, but generally two thumbs up from me.