What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Saw:

After Earth - not even Will Smith can save Shamalayan... I was wanting to walk out in the middle - it was sooooo boooorrriiinnnggg...

Now You See Me - this one I enjoyed, even as my suspension of reality got stretched to its farthest limits. It made sense until the very end when it just didn't gel anymore. Seemed like the script writers didn't know what the ending was either. But hey, if we don't think about it too much, it's fun.

Superman - what a waste. This was the WORST SUPERMAN of all time. Yes, WORST. As in worse than Superman IV even. I already had a feeling it was gonna suck from the first 10 minutes...

Saw:

After Earth - not even Will Smith can save Shamalayan... I was wanting to walk out in the middle - it was sooooo boooorrriiinnnggg...

Now You See Me - this one I enjoyed, even as my suspension of reality got stretched to its farthest limits. It made sense until the very end when it just didn't gel anymore. Seemed like the script writers didn't know what the ending was either. But hey, if we don't think about it too much, it's fun.

Superman - what a waste. This was the WORST SUPERMAN of all time. Yes, WORST. As in worse than Superman IV even. I already had a feeling it was gonna suck from the first 10 minutes...

Interesting. I loved the movie. My husband enjoyed it too. Neither of us thought is was boring. :)

Man of Steel. Saw it Friday Morning. Here's my review:

I really enjoyed it. I did NOT want the same ol' tired story. Nolan did a good job developing a solid backstory of Krypton and General Zod, which was the driving force behind the conflict on earth. I know that Superman does what one man can to save lives. That said, he cannot be everywhere at once while Zod's small army wreaks havoc. There is inevitably going to be collateral damage.

I am glad that Nolan didn't apply that same formula that was used in the Christopher Reeve movie or else Superman would again spend all his time trying to save every individual who happened to be in the way. That's impossible, which is why I'm glad the National Guard was written into the story. I would love to have seen Clark's character developed a little more, but we've seen more than enough of that with all the other movie and tv adaptations. What Nolan did right was give us more of what we didn't have before--the Kryptonians' history and Humanity's survival.

And yes, there were a number of over the top and impossible scenes, but I can accept them for the sake of continuity. Henry Cavill brings what previous actors couldn't--someone with the muscle to fill a suit and kick anyone's a--. It's good to see some actors today training like real men and not looking like wimps, like Chris Hemsworth and Hugh Jackman, who LOOK like they can bend steel and break concrete with their bare hands. Americans today are generally soft, weak and lazy. The Drone scene toward the end was awesome. If every American had the same backbone to stand up like this, the US wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Finally, it was awesome to spot BSG's Gaeta and Helo in the movie--a nice tribute to all of us who know what to look for. So say we all.

:cool:

Man of Steel. Saw it Friday Morning. Here's my review:

I really enjoyed it. I did NOT want the same ol' tired story. Nolan did a good job developing a solid backstory of Krypton and General Zod, which was the driving force behind the conflict on earth. I know that Superman does what one man can to save lives. That said, he cannot be everywhere at once while Zod's small army wreaks havoc. There is inevitably going to be collateral damage.

I am glad that Nolan didn't apply that same formula that was used in the Christopher Reeve movie or else Superman would again spend all his time trying to save every individual who happened to be in the way. That's impossible, which is why I'm glad the National Guard was written into the story. I would love to have seen Clark's character developed a little more, but we've seen more than enough of that with all the other movie and tv adaptations. What Nolan did right was give us more of what we didn't have before--the Kryptonians' history and Humanity's survival.

And yes, there were a number of over the top and impossible scenes, but I can accept them for the sake of continuity. Henry Cavill brings what previous actors couldn't--someone with the muscle to fill a suit and kick anyone's a--. It's good to see some actors today training like real men and not looking like wimps, like Chris Hemsworth and Hugh Jackman, who LOOK like they can bend steel and break concrete with their bare hands. Americans today are generally soft, weak and lazy. The Drone scene toward the end was awesome. If every American had the same backbone to stand up like this, the US wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Finally, it was awesome to spot BSG's Gaeta and Helo in the movie--a nice tribute to all of us who know what to look for. So say we all.

:cool:

I enjoyed it. It's different. Nolan did a good job with something that has been hashed and rehashed for decades. Nolan puts people behind the stories and not cartoon characters even though it is fantasy. There's only so much you can do with it and not deviate too far from the central themes of the original story. Two thumbs up from me.

Trying to do the almost impossible thing of replying to two posts from different threads...

Nolan didn't do anything much more than produce the thing. Wished Bryan Singer influenced the writing. His characters are always rounded. Snyder directed the movie. The difference between Singer and Snyder is kinda like the difference between Singer (XMen) and Ratner (XMen 3). XMen focused on the characters with the whiz-bang a by-product of the story whereas XMen 3 is just one whiz-bang set piece leading to another whiz-bang set piece with the story written to do nothing more than move from one set to the next. There's a whole lot of difference between the two styles and Singer's style is my preference in Superhero movies. I overheard my son (who doesn't know who Superman is before this movie) tell his dad about the movie and it is sad to see what he got out of it...

Yes, Snyder directed it. Nolan co-wrote the story with David Goyer and is given most of the credit for the new reboots by Goyer, himself:

"I think Warner Bros has seen – and Chris deserves the biggest credit for this – that we were able to revitalise Batman and put it into the first billion dollar superhero film. And they’re hoping that Superman will be revistalised as well. And if we can do Batman and Superman, then maybe we can move on to Wonder Woman, and The Flash, and characters like that."

David Goyer on Justice League and the Man of Steel Sequel | Superhero Hype

To each their own. Obviously people either hated it or loved it. I'm in the loved it camp. It is the absolute best version so far and there will be time for more character development (although Supes has had plenty of it for five decades). This ain't a kid's show. It's gritty like Dark Knight. Personally, I prefer it to the cartoon characters we've had in previous versions, though I am still a fan of Christopher Reeve.

Edited by skalenfehl

Yes, Snyder directed it. Nolan co-wrote the story with David Goyer and is given most of the credit for the new reboots by Goyer, himself:

"I think Warner Bros has seen – and Chris deserves the biggest credit for this – that we were able to revitalise Batman and put it into the first billion dollar superhero film. And they’re hoping that Superman will be revistalised as well. And if we can do Batman and Superman, then maybe we can move on to Wonder Woman, and The Flash, and characters like that."

David Goyer on Justice League and the Man of Steel Sequel | Superhero Hype

To each their own. Obviously people either hated it or loved it. I'm in the loved it camp. It is the absolute best version so far and there will be time for more character development (although Supes has had plenty of it for five decades). This ain't a kid's show. It's gritty like Dark Knight. Personally, I prefer it to the cartoon characters we've had in previous versions, though I am still a fan of Christopher Reeve.

Nolan did not co-write. Goyer did all that, patterned after the success of Batman, after presenting his idea to Nolan and Nolan approving the concept. Nolan, being the producer (and the big name used to draw the crowd), of course, had a big hand in getting the film from concept to the theaters.

Yes, such is the deal with fandom - like I said there have been two diverse ways of approaching a film - the Bryan Singer flavor or the Snyder flavor. They're two very different styles. The grit/story/feel of the movie can be the same but a Singer movie would focus more on the character, a Snyder movie would focus more on the cgi. I favor the Snyder-style because cgi these days is a dime a dozen. Everybody can do it and a lot can do it well. The Matrix sequels and Pirates of the Caribbean sequels have the luxury of focusing on cgi and putting sub-standard plot or character development because both these movies pioneered in some form of animation. But Superhero cgi is everywhere these days. We've gone a long way from the video-game look of the Toby McGuire Spider-Man and it's not really that novel anymore. Cgi can't stand on its own anymore without solid character development (XMen3, Transformers 2, etc). And even in these land of sequels, a movie can't depend on its sequel unless its Twilight...

Edited by anatess

I saw Superman last night. L.O.V.E.D it! Aside from the fact that Cavill is just too hot, I liked the story, I liked Russell Crowe (of course), and I liked the special effects. I think some of the Superman/Zod fighting lasted too long, but that may just be my female take on boys fighting. I also liked that they didn't make Lois Lane an idiot who couldn't tell the difference between Superman and Clark Kent just because of glasses.

I kept thinking of watching 'Superman' on TV when I was a kid. What a difference when writers and producers take the story seriously. I don't blame them for doing what they could do with the budget and technology they had, but wowzers, what a difference!

Oh, and Zod, who doesn't like Michael Shannon? I suppose most people here aren't watching 'Boardwalk Empire,' but trust me, the man can bring it.

Forgot to add this one, The Impossible, was excellent! It's based on the true story of a family that got separated in the 2004 monsoon in Thailand. Major tear-jerker, though, quite graphic (violence wise and some nudity). If you have older children that can handle seeing tragedies reenacted, this is a good movie to see with the family, it'll make you appreciate what you have!

According to IMDB, Nolan co-wrote the story. I guess IMDB made a mistake?

Man of Steel (2013) - Full cast and crew

Christopher Nolan - IMDb

Nolan did not WRITE the script. He APPROVED the script, hence he is credited as part of the writing crew as he had last word on it and could have re-written it if he wanted to. Nolan has a very distinctive story-telling style that is on full display in Inception and palpable in Batman. Superman was written to the feel of Batman, but Nolan did not write it.

If you look at the IMDB entry under Nolan that you linked, you will not see anything there that says that he wrote or co-wrote the script but merely that he produced the movie as opposed to his co-writing of the Batman Trilogy that is specifically mentioned.

Edited by anatess

Forgot to add this one, The Impossible, was excellent! It's based on the true story of a family that got separated in the 2004 monsoon in Thailand. Major tear-jerker, though, quite graphic (violence wise and some nudity). If you have older children that can handle seeing tragedies reenacted, this is a good movie to see with the family, it'll make you appreciate what you have!

OOOH!!! Yes, I saw this on the plane! Surprisingly great. I love those boys! Not a good idea to watch it at 35,000 ft though... lol.

World War Z. It was okay... supposed to be a serious thriller but my 2 boys and I giggled during the supposedly scary Zombie parts. A lightweight but we went in the movie not expecting much so it was okay.

World War Z. It was okay... supposed to be a serious thriller but my 2 boys and I giggled during the supposedly scary Zombie parts. A lightweight but we went in the movie not expecting much so it was okay.

My girl friends and I are still going to see it. I think it might make for an amusing evening.

I got back from Superman. Wow, what a surprise. It was a good summer film. Not great but a good film. Better than Iron Man 3 and 100% better than the last Superman film. I say Thor from last year (or was it two?) is the best modern super hero film with Captain America and X-Men First Class close behind. Then this new Superman film is right behind them.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic