What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Everybody wants to be Italian.

Romantic Comedy that actually made me laugh. The guy is such a doofus! LOL!

R-Rated for Language - not because of expletives but because there are conversations about sexual things and mafia-type-violent things. Just talk talk talk. No nudity, only 1 incident of actual violence which is basically just the guy getting punched in the face once, then the scene cuts to him waking up black and blue.

Anyway, I can say throughout the movie, I'm starting to want to be Italian. LOL!

Free Birds

This is pretty cute available on RedBox. It's about two turkeys that travel back into history to change the Thanksgiving tradition of eating turkeys. Very funny and action packed. Great for movie night with the kids. My daughter loved it.

12 Years A Slave

Fassy should've won an Oscar. He is great in everything he touches! I can't even keep up with his accents anymore - his natural accent is German, yet he can talk like a British high lord, an Irish rogue or an American Southern Plantation Owner without missing a beat. Brad Pitt sounds like... Brad Pitt when he's trying to do a different accent. And Fassy has this way of making you really love him when he's the good guy and making you really hate him when he's the bad guy. In this movie, I wanted to wring his neck!

And Lupita's character (or her portrayal of it) was confusing. She was on focus on screen for only a short time and she did great in portraying the injustices of her station. But the soap scene did not make sense. She was very meek and desperate and then she talked like a free person... so, I'm not sure about that Oscar. I didn't see any of the other movies that were nominated, so I can't say if there's anybody better.

Anyway, yes, the movie was Oscar worthy, definitely. Can't chalk that win up to white guilt...

Anatess, I have 12 Years A Slave on BluRay and have yet to watch it. I know it's rated R for nudity and violence but I've heard there are a couple rape scenes. Are those graphic scenes? Reviews say they're short lived and not violent.. What's your opinion being a woman? I can stomach pretty much anything gritty but rape is hard to watch.

Anatess, I have 12 Years A Slave on BluRay and have yet to watch it. I know it's rated R for nudity and violence but I've heard there are a couple rape scenes. Are those graphic scenes? Reviews say they're short lived and not violent.. What's your opinion being a woman? I can stomach pretty much anything gritty but rape is hard to watch.

No, the rape scene is more an emotional portrayal than a physical one. The rape scene is shot with only fully-clothed chest to head on screen. The tough part to stomach is when Lupita got stripped naked (naked side and back head-to-toe shots with a micro second full frontal as she got pushed towards the post) and then whipped to an inch of her life. That was an onslaught on the emotional and physical level. I guess those 3-5 minutes of screen time is the basis of that Oscar.

I have to mention that I missed the beginning of the movie so I couldn't tell you how graphic the movie portrayed the condition of the slaves on the ship. Some slaves got murdered in that scene.

Edited by anatess

Divergent.

Believe it or not, it's better than the book! I guess I didn't like the book.

But, there's no getting away from the feeling that this is a Twilight/Mortal Instruments/Hunger Games copycat...

None of them can rise up to the level of Harry Potter.

At least the boy and the girl actors are pretty good together. Their fight scene caused me to have this pain in my stomach...

Divergent

Definitely a teeny-bopper movie but entertaining enough. My friends and I felt it was pretty corny, especially, the "romance" bits but if you're a teenager, you'll probably like that stuff. It's a bit of a mash up between Twilight/Hunger Games/Ender's Game... The whole "forbidden love", "factions", "child soldier" thing was all rolled up into one. The lead female did a good job overall, but I hated the lead male, and all the other characters were forgettable.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic