What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Is it as good as the first? RottenTomatoes didn't think so, but curious as to what you thought. My friends and I are always looking for a good scare but are mostly disappointed. The Conjouring and Annabelle fell into those categories for us.

Sorry for the late response.  I also check Rotten Tomatoes but for scary movies or movies that have an uplifting theme you simply can't trust them. 

The Conjuring is currently the best scary movie I've ever seen. So I like your list. I need to see Annabelle. 

I honestly think the Lady in Black II is better then the first. The acting was perfect and the scary parts, while not new, were great. Nothing cheesy. 

With these movies I don't try to figure things out, and at the end of the movie there are a lot of things that don't make sense. In the end I think it's a good ghost story.

The Conjuring is currently the best scary movie I've ever seen. So I like your list. I need to see Annabelle. 

I honestly think the Lady in Black II is better then the first. The acting was perfect and the scary parts, while not new, were great. Nothing cheesy. 

With these movies I don't try to figure things out, and at the end of the movie there are a lot of things that don't make sense. In the end I think it's a good ghost story.

The Conjuring was one of the better made horror movies.  I hated Lady In Black, so for me anything would be an improvement.  I know the story behind Annabelle, I haven't decided if I want to watch it (no surprise for me as I know the tale).

The Possession of Michael King was a well made version of the possession story.

To Kill a Mockingbird.  Everyone read this in high school and I love courtroom dramas, so I figured I would enjoy this a lot.

Wrong.  I had to turn on subtitles because the audio was poor and everyone used a thick Southern accent.  The plot was promising but moved at a glacial pace.  I stopped watching 30 minutes from the end.  I was mildly curious about the ending, so I looked it up on IMBD and read the detailed synopsis, and even that was a bore.  Yawn, yawn, yawn.  I'll bet even you are yawning just reading my post here.

However, I did read that the actor who played the black defendant also did the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral, which was sort of nice.  And what is the deal with children calling their parents by their first names, as they do in this movie?  Was that commonly done in the South?

Castaway.

Watched it with the kids.  Their favorite character is Wilson - of course.  But the highlight of the movie is when my kids asked, What is a pager?  And then, in the end, when they didn't show the final package, they were like... What if it was a cellphone?  And I'm like... no... cellphones in those days wouldn't fit in that box.  And they were like, oh... but what if it was a flare gun?  Or a lighter?  Or a fishing pole?  Or another pager?

Yeah... I was too busy watching the kids' reactions to pay much attention to the movie that I've seen many times before.

To Kill a Mockingbird.  Everyone read this in high school and I love courtroom dramas, so I figured I would enjoy this a lot.

Wrong.  I had to turn on subtitles because the audio was poor and everyone used a thick Southern accent.  The plot was promising but moved at a glacial pace.  I stopped watching 30 minutes from the end.  I was mildly curious about the ending, so I looked it up on IMBD and read the detailed synopsis, and even that was a bore.  Yawn, yawn, yawn.  I'll bet even you are yawning just reading my post here.

However, I did read that the actor who played the black defendant also did the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral, which was sort of nice.  And what is the deal with children calling their parents by their first names, as they do in this movie?  Was that commonly done in the South?

I can't believe you didn't finish it. One of my favorite movies!  The movie moves much faster than the book.  Obviously

American Sniper.

I couldn't handle it.  Too heavy on the psyche.  The movie ended with Kyle's death and a video of his actual funeral procession.  The credits rolled in complete silence - no music.  Everyone stayed in their seats and very quietly and slowly filed out of the theater.  It was super eerie...

Mr. Peabody and Sherman. One of my favorites.

American Sniper.

I couldn't handle it.  Too heavy on the psyche.  The movie ended with Kyle's death and a video of his actual funeral procession.  The credits rolled in complete silence - no music.  Everyone stayed in their seats and very quietly and slowly filed out of the theater.  It was super eerie...

My brother saw that last night, everyone stood up and clapped at the end.

Edited by Animals

Mr. Peabody and Sherman. One of my favorites.

My brother saw that last night, everyone stood up and clapped at the end.

That would be jarring, I think.  The movie ended with a very somber note and so if somebody would have clapped, it would be like, "Whoa, wait a minute..."... 

But yeah, I guess it depends on that particular audience.  There were several marines in the theater when we watched it (my husband and I were invited to go by our marine best friend).  That may have something to do with it.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic