What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Yep.  But then, we were never really told if Superman (or Wonder Woman) applied for American citizenship...

In a controversial move in one of the continuities recently, Superman had American citizenship but renounced it, calling himself a "citizen of the world." 

I found that to be as stupid as making G.I. Joe a multinational anti-terrorist unit.

17 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

So if you don't wear star-spangled red, white, and blue... Then you aren't American? :D

I don't understand. This is very confusing. Are you saying that you don't dress like that?

9 minutes ago, Vort said:

So Marvel goes with the Teutonic gods, while DC sides with the Olympians?

So it would seem...  though I still give props to both for these tidbits:

"There's only one God ma'am.  And I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that!"

-Captain America, The Avengers

In Man of Steel, Clark seeks counsel from his pastor.  (Who is Lutheran.  Hehe.  Superman's totally a Lutheran.)

9 minutes ago, Vort said:

So Marvel goes with the Teutonic gods, while DC sides with the Olympians?

So it would seem...  though I still give props to both for these tidbits:

"There's only one God ma'am.  And I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that!"

-Captain America, The Avengers

In Man of Steel, Clark seeks counsel from his pastor.  (Who is Lutheran.  Hehe.  Superman's totally a Lutheran.)

Hello, My Name is Doris.

This was quite a crazy movie... this was one of the times where my husband and I went on our date and didn't really know what we wanted to do so we drive around and around waiting for something to catch our eye and so we passed by Steak and Shake and we're like - milkshake sounds good.  So we sit there talking and decided... what the hey, let's just go walk to the movies next door... so we walk in and we had 2 choices for what's playing at that time - Doris or The Boss - and so we decided on Doris because we figured Sally Field is a much better actress than Melissa McCarthy.  So we didn't really know what to expect.

Sally Field just plain excelled in this movie... she perfectly captured the crazy old lady with the cats complete with all its vulnerabilities.  The guy's character is awesome - wholesome and kind and charitable.  The movie is about an old lady... in her 60's... trying to score a date with a 20'ish guy... It was so funny and sweet and a lot of deliberate very cringy moments... but my husband and I walked out of the movie laughing ourselves silly and rewriting parts of the script to make the cringe moments sweet moments (no, not Doris winning the guy, but Doris becoming one of the guys!)...

Anyway, the theater said it's R-rated.  There are 2 uses of the F-word (which you'll see on PG-13) that I can remember.  There's a scene where it sounds like they're having sex but they're actually fixing an exercise ball... meant to be funny.  And there's several LGBT references (e.g. lesbian knitting group).  There's zero violence, zero sex, zero skin, very light on language (The Martian, in my opinion has worse language).  Very fun.

Wonder Woman American - EXPLAINED:

Yes, this was a considered decision on the part of the writers/producers.

Comic backstory: When an Amazonian is sent away from Themyscira as an emissary to the outside world, she is to wear the colors of the nation to whom she is sent.  As a US based publication, she was sent to the US.  She was given US colors to wear.

Movie backstory: This is a new WW with a new backstory.  She's not just sent out to the US.  She's sent out to the world.  She's an Amazonian.  So, let's dress her up as the most famous female warrior in pop culture.  Yup.  Xena.  They weren't going for historical accuracy.  They just wanted to use iconic imagery to give the character "instant credibility" as the movie terminology goes.

Superman:  They decided to keep him an American "General, I was raised in Kansas.  I'm as American as it gets."

Captain America: "Aren't the Stars and Stripes a little... old fashioned?"   "We could use a little... old fashioned."

I was ok with B v. S, but it could have been so much better.  I'm glad I paid matinee prices.  They tried to jam too much into the 2.5 hour film.  I didn't even recognize the Flash.  Too much camera jiggle.  I had to look that up later.  That would have been much better as an end credits scene.

I had to inform my cousin what a parademon is and who Darkseid is.

Edited by Guest

Just spent 30 minutes picking my way through Deep Impact. What an incredibly stupid movie. Like, extinction-level event stupid. I am inexpressibly glad I didn't waste time or money watching it 18 years ago.

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Just spent 30 minutes picking my way through Deep Impact. What an incredibly stupid movie. Like, extinction-level event stupid. I am inexpressibly glad I didn't waste time or money watching it 18 years ago.

You know, Cinema Sins didn't do a review of Deep Impact.  Would you be willing to do an "Everything wrong with Deep Impact"?

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You know, Cinema Sins didn't do a review of Deep Impact.  Would you be willing to do an "Everything wrong with Deep Impact"?

That might be fun. But it would require me to actually watch the movie. Probably multiple times. Not sure I'm willing to subject myself to that.

Jungle Book

This was very very very well done.  I was kinda hoping he gets to see the girl in the end, but I guess we'll have to wait for the sequel.

But what really set me to like the movie was during the previews.  Favreau (the director), came on the screen to THANK US for carving out time with our families to watch his movie!  He went a bit sentimental about how he has gotten so familiar with the characters in Kipling's book and he hoped that we like how he has interpreted them in this movie.  It was great.  I've never had Hollywood thank me for my support.  Even during the Oscars or something - they all just pat themselves in the back thanking each other... the thank the fans are like an after thought.  This one was very sincerely offered and it really made me want to like Jungle Book.  And I did.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

That might be fun. But it would require me to actually watch the movie. Probably multiple times. Not sure I'm willing to subject myself to that.

OK, maybe not everything.  Just make a list and I'll do the video.

Spoilers:

With me, my big issue with the latest "Jungle Book" film was that they essentially reduced Kaa to a plot point. The early advertising played up just how big a deal Kaa was going to be, especially since they got a big-name voice for the job. They could have gotten away with a smaller name for what they did. 

On 4/24/2016 at 11:43 PM, dahlia said:

OK, she wasn't American. I was thinking of her in terms of the stories during WWII and the freaking RED WHITE AND BLUE costume with stars. Shoot me.

Not at all.  I get what you were saying.  I, too, bemoaned the fact that WW was not consider American either.

I even commented to my wife that DC is apparently trying to be more "worldwide" rather than US centric.  In fact, the comics even took a turn on Superman.  He is not just a US citizen, but a "citizen of the world".   So, he doesn't fight for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.  He just fights for Truth and Justice.  Hmm.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Hunstman 2.

YES!!! MUCH BETTER THAN THE FIRST ONE!  But yeah, the Ice Queen is Freya, not Elsa, and her sister is Ravena, not Anna... but still, I was expecting snowflake effects when Freya stepped on the ice floor... and my husband turned to me and said... I know you want so bad to sing Let it Go.  HAH HAH... He is one amazing husband who has the ability to READ MY MIND!

Anyway... the story started before Snow White and continued after Snow White vanquished Ravena... so they talk about Snow White and they refer to Snow White several times, but never showed Snow White... YES!!! If Charlize Theron (or even Emily Blunt) have to try to save a scene one more time from Kristen Stewart and her 3 facial muscles, I'm going to throw my shoes at the screen.

Oh my goodness. Yesterday I watched 'Creed.' I cried through most of it. We lived in Philly for 10 yrs; my son graduated from high school there. We are big Rocky fans as a family. What a movie - life, death, becoming your own person, finding meaning in life after you thought all was lost, love....  Wow. Just loved it. 

@dahlia,

I'd forgotten about that movie.  I just looked it up on Box Office Mojo.  It did a lot better than I expected (after the utter failure that was Rocky Balboa).

I'll have to take a look at it.

15 hours ago, dahlia said:

Oh my goodness. Yesterday I watched 'Creed.' I cried through most of it. We lived in Philly for 10 yrs; my son graduated from high school there. We are big Rocky fans as a family. What a movie - life, death, becoming your own person, finding meaning in life after you thought all was lost, love....  Wow. Just loved it. 

Oh yeah.  Loved that movie!

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic