What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Crimson Peak

Okay, I'm not a horror fan.  I watched this because it has Loki.  I have 2 actors that I have been following lately - Fassy and Loki (hah hah, what a fan, I can't even remember their real names without googling... okay, google says, Michael Fassbender and Tom Hiddleston).  Anyway, both those guys are amazing actors.

So yeah, I was hiding under a blanket the entire time but it wasn't really as scary as most - I love the storyline.  It ended up to be really romantic.

Ratchet & Clank

This one went in under the radar, with only dedicated sites like Box Office Mojo noting that it's coming out. It's got some intense moments since it's an action number, but at its core it's a kid-friendly slapstick number. You don't even need to be familiar with the games to get into it. 

On 5/3/2016 at 9:44 PM, anatess2 said:

Ella Enchanted.

with my boys.

i owe them.

big time.

I read that Monday with two of our granddaughters.

Can't say I liked it much, but it was immeasurably better than anything Disney did with the story.

Lehi

Left Behind

This was not a good movie, but it was also not horrible. In a movie like this, less is very much more, and the makers seemed to understand that. I have some obvious problems with the basis of the plot, but given the nature of the movie and the intended audience, that's unimportant. I'm something of a Nicholas Cage fan -- mock if you must -- and I thought he and the gal who played his daughter did adequate jobs in their roles. The girl's newfound boyfriend, Buck Somethingorother, who was supposed to have been some sort of famous reporter, I think, also turned in a creditable performance. I appreciated how the Muslim character was portrayed pretty sympathetically and not played to stereotype, though of course he didn't get raptured. He believed wrong things, you see.

Speaking of which, I confess the preacher character bothered me -- or more specifically, not the character himself but the reasoning for his character. As far as we could tell, he was a decent fellow who wasn't a spectacular or even a closet sinner. The grave sin that kept him from getting raptured appeared to have been that he didn't "believe" hard enough. Sort of a Santa Claus ethic in play. But at this point, I can't tell if this is poor writing or simply a point of religious dogma with which I disagree. Probably the latter.

So, anyway, not a good movie but not horrible. I am very glad I didn't pay money to see this movie, and I assume I won't watch it again. But I am not entirely dissatisfied that I spent 80 minutes of my life watching it. Frankly, I can think of one or two (or more) LDS-themed movies that suffer by comparison.

50 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I must.  Nicholas Cage?  Really? ;)

Hey, how many others could have sold us on H.I. McDunnough?  -- probably one of the greatest characters ever to come out of Hollywood.

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Hey, how many others could have sold us on H.I. McDunnough?  -- probably one of the greatest characters ever to come out of Hollywood.

See, that's the thing... he didn't have to act that one... he is H.I. McDunnough.  :D

My husband... silly him... loves that movie Face/Off.  I see John Travolta acting out the husband and he's awesome... then Nicholas Cage becomes the husband and he's like... ugh.  Everytime he tries to arrange his face into this loving expression it just... ah... fails.

Edited by anatess2

Avengers 3.  I mean... Captain America:  Civil War.

IT'S THE 2ND BEST MCU MOVIE EVER!  The Avenges is, of course, the best one - edged out Civil War because of the awesomeness of the Hulk.

If you're gonna see this one, there are 2 extra clips - one after the main actors credits roll, another one after the entire credits roll... It's become a Marvel movie tradition for my family to use that time waiting for the extra clips talking about what we loved/not liked about the movie.

Edited by anatess2

• 4 weeks later...

Anatess! Where is your review of X-men?

We saw it tonight. My honey liked it, I thought it was meh. I don't get the whole "different universe" or "reboot" thing. I have a hard time forgetting the first movies as I watch things happen that couldn't considering the first movies. 

Plus, this movie continues the Hollywood hatred of religion.

Watched the latest Captain America last weekend. Sister Vort absolutely loved it. I thought it was more than okay, actually enjoyable. It was too long -- 2 hours, 20 minutes, I think -- but it rarely dragged. So I guess that means it wasn't too long, even if the clock time seems high. Nice to see Tony Stark portrayed as the rudderless coward that he is. No, not coward. That is not the right word. But a badly damaged man driven by his regrets and impulses instead of by principle. Steve Rogers comes out looking like Superman (or the Marvel equivalent). Stark becomes a much less sympathetic but more pathetic character. I can't pretend I did not enjoy it. I would even go see it again in the theaters, which is rare for me.

In some ways, it was almost the reverse of the annoying Avengers 2, which was too long, too boring, and just generally uninteresting -- a surprise, since it was directed by Jess Whedon, one of the most gifted action-movie directors in Hollywood. So the really engaging Marvel superhero films have been Iron Man (the first), The Avengers (again, the first movie), and now Civil War. Then there is the second tier of ungreat but watchable Marvel movies, such as the first Captain America and maybe the third Iron Man. Then there are the dumb movies, the ones you resent having paid to see, or even if you see them for free, you resent having wasted the hours of your life watching them. The most obvious example that comes to mind is Ant Man. Oh, my. Maybe if you have the right sense of humor, you can laugh at the sophomoric tone (and hero) of the movie. I didn't even recognize Ant Man in this latest movie until he shrank.

Edited by Vort

Captain America Civil War.   AWESOME!!!

2nd best movie next to Winter Soldier -- Avengers 1 takes the 3rd spot.

In Civil War, they did an excellent job of keeping a nano-fiber thin skeleton of the original story line (actually only a nod to the original basis) and filling it into a full story while limited by the length of a single feature film.  But I was waiting for Spiderman to switch sides.  Too short a timeframe.

What to do about the shield...  Oh... I got an idea...

14 hours ago, beefche said:

Anatess! Where is your review of X-men?

We saw it tonight. My honey liked it, I thought it was meh. I don't get the whole "different universe" or "reboot" thing. I have a hard time forgetting the first movies as I watch things happen that couldn't considering the first movies. 

Plus, this movie continues the Hollywood hatred of religion.

OHHH!!!  Yeah.  Saw it twice.  Saw Civil War... hmm... 7 times now?

Okay, all you have to say is Brian Singer is directing it and I'll bet he will not trash Christianity.  This movie is the same.

So, you probably said it continues the Hollywood hatred of religion because McTaggert considered the option that the Bible got its 4 horsemen idea from Apocalypse.  McTaggert is supposed to be one of the good guys.  Even in the first viewing, I didn't see this as Singer pushing anti-religious stuff because she was facing Professor X (who is the end-all-be-all of goodness in the X-men franchise) who suggested the primary option that Apocalypse got the idea from the Bible.  Now, this scene also happened after we are already shown that Apocalypse is a false god - Singer brilliantly established this even before the opening credits rolled, with rebels trying to destroy Apocalypse shouting out that he is a false god.  As the opening credits rolled, we are shown Apocalypse's place in history passing through the events of Christ's crucifixion where we, as Christians, place as the true God becoming flesh and dwelling among us.  So that when Apocalypse woke up and tried to pass himself off as THE Elohim, we already know he's a false god and is the villain.

To further support the Christian element, Nightcrawler, portrayed here as a youngster presumably before he became Catholic and tried to become a priest, was already full of faith and prayer and was solidly in the good guys camp.  Singer could have easily jettisoned this part of his character because in the comic his faithfulness wasn't introduced with his character, rather, he grew into being a religious character, becoming more devout through the years.  In the movie, his prayers are always followed by something good happening so you can see a pattern of prayer being answered by good things.

Several instances of other characters in the movie referencing prayers getting answered when the good guys destroyed Apocalypse, etc., further establish this movie as in the Christianity-is-in-the-good-guy-camp category... something I have grown to expect from Singer (he stays true to the essence of the source).

Anyway, I liked this movie overall but I kinda miss the original X-Men.  Ever since Singer left to direct Superman Returns (my most favorite Superman movie), X-Men has struggled with a mangled storyline.  Rattner really destroyed this franchise and Singer has been trying to salvage it ever since.  First Class couldn't decide whether to do a reboot or strive for a bit of continuity, forced to go to the past to avoid explaining away Rattner's hatchet job.  Wolverine 1 and 2 may as well be jokers in that deck of cards totally savaging continuity.  Singer comes back in Days of Future Past and that movie was Singer's way to ret-con and salvage the whole thing creating an alternate reality to just completely wipe out Rattner's and the Wolverine movies.  Apocalypse then builds upon that foundation.  But, I still can't shake off that feeling that Singer is still trying desperately to connect the dots back to the original X-Men... and failing.  And Singer did very un-Singer-like scenes here with Magneto's over-the-top earth bending... I mean, this is more of a Rattner scene than a Singer scene... or a Zac Snyder one (I intensely dislike Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman).  Singer is usually a lot more thoughtful than that in his use of these big hammy productions.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Oh never mind... it just switched to page 87.  I guess it just needed me to complain about it.  Hah!

I was going to say...I'm on page 87. :)

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

QUESTION: So, if Tony Stark and Harry Potter got into a lightsaber duel, who would win?

ANSWER: Bruce Wayne, because Han shot first.

You're wrong.  It would be Bobba Fett.  Everything is about Bobba Fett.  Who killed Harry Potter's parents?  Bobba Fett.  Who inspired Tony Stark's iron man?  Bobba Fett.

37 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

QUESTION: So, if Tony Stark and Harry Potter got into a lightsaber duel, who would win?

ANSWER: Bruce Wayne, because Han shot first.

You're wrong.  It would be Bobba Fett.  Everything is about Bobba Fett.  Who killed Harry Potter's parents?  Bobba Fett.  Who inspired Tony Stark's iron man?  Bobba Fett.

I recently watched What We Did on Our Holiday, starring Rosamund Pike, David Tennant and Billy Connolly. It's about a family going to Scotland for a family get together. It is GrandDad's birthday but he is also dying of cancer. It is such a lovely movie, and the three children of the main family have such crazy and adorable personalities. I adored this movie.

M.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic