What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 6/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, BeccaKirstyn said:

I watched Me Before You. Read the book, so I knew what to expect in the movie. Still didn't stop the tears from coming! Great movie, I recommend it. 

That stupid movie!  Made me hope and hope and feel good about her success (I love her bubbliness and her outfits!  I wanted her soooooo much to be happy!) and wham!  IDIOT!  AAaaarrrgggg!!!  I wanna push that wheelchair off the cliff.

Warcraft.

I loved this movie.  Love the script, love the visual effects, love the characters, love the acting (that guy from the Viking show was awesome, as usual).  Looking forward to "Jackjack's" story in the sequel!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention... I had to watch this movie twice in one night... The first time through, we got rudely interrupted by the fire alarm going off!  This is the very first time I've ever experienced the fire alarm going off in a theater.. and I go to a LLLOOOTTT of movies.  We went out the Exit doors and a security personnel guided us to the front of the theater.  We gathered in the lobby while the theater personnel cleaned up vandalism done by 4 teenaged boys - ripping off wall-mounted posters, pouring soda all over, busting furniture and pulling the fire alarm before running out of the theater.  They theater people handed everybody free movie passes.  We hung around until the all-clear order was given and the theater opened again.  Luckily, we were able to catch another showing that night.

While we were milling about, we saw some theater workers comforting 2 crying workers.  I asked them, did anybody get hurt?  And they said, no, we're just upset that people would do that to OUR theater.  See... this is why I love this specific theater.  It's not only that they have these reserved seating with the reclining plush leather theater seats... it's also that the people who work there care about the theater and the customers.

Edited by anatess2

The Intern (2015).

A story about a 70 y.o. man who wants to come out of retirement and finds a request for senior interns that appeals to him.  He is one of three who are actually selected.  It starts out exploring the humorous things that might happen with a septuagenarian intern working for a 30-something CEO as well as the Gen-X staff.

Eventually, the staff recognizes that the elderly gentleman offers encouragement and mentorship in life, even if he is a novice to the business.  He becomes a father-figure and role-model to many on the staff, including the CEO.

Various antics, hilarious, sad, and inspiring shape out the film to a happy-sad non-conclusion that lets us all know that life goes on.

Secondhand Lions (2003)

When Mrs. Carb suggested we watch the movie she framed it as "a story about a boy who goes to visit his uncles for the summer."  Yes, that sound like a movie I want to see.  Let me see if I have something more exciting on my calendar like folding my socks.  But I watched it because I just can't refuse my wife anything that doesn't require a tremendous amount of effort.  In the end, it became one of my favorite movies of all time.  And it is a wonderful family movie that should be a part of any family's "must see list", especially if you have a growing boy.

Summary:

An artist (Walter) receives a phone call which sounds like bad news about his uncles.  He immediately seems heartbroken.  Then we flash back to an adolescent Walter as he struggles with his relationship with his loser mother who decides to drop him off for the summer at the home of her two bachelor uncles (Hub and Garth McCann) as she goes off to court reporting school.  It is rumored that they stashed away $Millions which adds to the mystery of who these men are.  But Walter thinks it's just another yarn that his mother is spinning to make an excuse for going off to who knows where (he's not sure if she really is going to court reporting school).

His reluctant uncles accept the baby-sitting assignment and difficulties brew as traveling salesmen, gold-digging relatives, and other colorful characters cross their path.  They soon grow attached to the boy and Uncle Garth begins to tell their story of where they disappeared to for forty years and where they got all their money.  We witness Walter's imagination as the tale is told.

In the midst of this summer, they decide to purchase a secondhand lion -- an old circus lion that is well past his her prime.  This lion becomes a metaphor throughout the film.

Through these tales as well as those of Walter's summer experience we see adventure, romance, wars, criminals, riches, mobsters, true-love, heroic battles, clever subterfuge, and poignant family moments as Walter learns what every boy needs to know about being a man until we witness the final days of Hub and Garth McCann.

59 minutes ago, Vort said:

Life of Pi. Artful, engaging, beautifully wrought movie with nothing but empty cynicism at its core. I'm not unhappy I watched it, but I doubt I will ever spend the time to watch it again.

So pretty much just like the book. :)

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The Intern (2015).

A story about a 70 y.o. man who wants to come out of retirement and finds a request for senior interns that appeals to him.  He is one of three who are actually selected.  It starts out exploring the humorous things that might happen with a septuagenarian intern working for a 30-something CEO as well as the Gen-X staff.

Eventually, the staff recognizes that the elderly gentleman offers encouragement and mentorship in life, even if he is a novice to the business.  He becomes a father-figure and role-model to many on the staff, including the CEO.

Various antics, hilarious, sad, and inspiring shape out the film to a happy-sad non-conclusion that lets us all know that life goes on.

I recently watched The Intern, I really liked it.

M.

My page 87 starts with this post:

On 5/1/2016 at 4:43 PM, dahlia said:

Oh my goodness. Yesterday I watched 'Creed.' I cried through most of it. We lived in Philly for 10 yrs; my son graduated from high school there. We are big Rocky fans as a family. What a movie - life, death, becoming your own person, finding meaning in life after you thought all was lost, love....  Wow. Just loved it. 

Oh yeah.  Loved that movie!

And then ends on page 88 with this my post.

When I click on the "88" at the bottom, I get the following:

25ioqb5.png

My theory: Posts added to the thread and then deleted are not being subtracted from the post count, so the forum software thinks there are more posts than there really are. After a while, this number builds up until you have a more or less permanent "extra" page at the end that doesn't exist. This is easy enough to test. Maybe I'll make a test thread to try it out.

16 hours ago, tesuji said:

Is this thread working now? Maybe we should start a new "continued" version?

We won't know until we get about 15 to 20 posts on this page.

My wife and I enjoyed Man Up recently. If you like romantic comedies and fun-loving Brits, check it out.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_up_2015/

Note: We watched it heavily content-filtered on Vidangel. We would not have enjoyed it otherwise. England has apparently returned to the bawdiness of Shakespeare's time :}
https://www.vidangel.com/movie/man-up

Edited by tesuji

Question for those who have seen Deadpool:

Based on how it's been marketed, I automatically dislike the irreverent, crass look of this movie. However, I am technically in the target audience (comic book nerds). I wonder if I would like it if it was edited for content. Watching it on Vidangel, I could make all the swears silent and skip over all the other R stuff. 

Would this movie be enjoyable, even watchable, if you took out all the R-rated content? Or would too much of the story be missing? Or is it just offensive, no matter what you remove?

Edited by tesuji

Question for those who have seen Deadpool:

I automatically dislike the irreverant, crass look of this movie. However, I wonder if I would like it if it was edited for content. Watching it on Vidangel, I couldl make all the swears silent and skip over all the other R stuff. 

Would this movie be enjoyable, even watchable, if you took out all the R-rated content? Or would too much of the story be missing? Or is it just offensive, no matter what you remove?

I watched Deadpool with half the Vidangel filters turned on.  Losing the language and sex loses a full 15 minutes of the movie, but actually none of the story.

Spoilers:

It actually became a tender (if rehashed) love story about a guy who likes skeeball and a girl who makes star wars references.  And for some reason Colossus is there saying "Watch your language" over and over again for no visible reason. 

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I watched Deadpool with half the Vidangel filters turned on.  Losing the language and sex loses a full 15 minutes of the movie, but actually none of the story.

It actually became a tender (if rehashed) love story about a guy who likes skeeball and a girl who makes star wars references.  And for some reason Colossus is there saying "Watch your language" over and over again for no visible reason. 

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. :)

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic