What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Just finished The Life of Brian, heavily filtered on Vidangel. I've always wanted to watch this but was too leery. But Vidangel recently added it.

I enjoyed a lot of it, was bored for some of it, and enjoyed the last 1/4 a little less.

How much you enjoy this will depend on how much you like satire and black comedy, Monty Python style, and how much you think it's specifically satirizing Jesus and Christianity. The Pythons have said they intended the satire to be broader than that and I tend to agree with them.

I particularly enjoyed the following scenes, since I've been studying Latin and the Romans lately--

Watched 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' (I remembered the old TV show) and 'Journey to the Center of the Earth,' two old movies that are family friendly and still entertaining, tho a little dated. I love the idea of the women on a submarine werling pencil skirts and heels. 

I want to see 'The State of Jones,' but it doesn't seem to be playing out here in the cornfields.

8 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I watched Deadpool with half the Vidangel filters turned on.  Losing the language and sex loses a full 15 minutes of the movie, but actually none of the story.

It actually became a tender (if rehashed) love story about a guy who likes skeeball and a girl who makes star wars references.  And for some reason Colossus is there saying "Watch your language" over and over again for no visible reason. 

I just watched Deadpool. Very entertaining despite all the fighting. I watched with lots of filters on Vidangel - totally hacked up the movie, and hard to follow during a lot of it, but ironically much more watchable for me than no filters. I loved the very end too :) 

Thanks again

Just saw Central Intelligence with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart. OH MY WORD! That was laugh out loud funny! 

Surprising not as much language as I would anticipate. There is some and there is brief nudity (man's backside). But, this movie made the whole audience laugh out loud--like belly laugh. I love the little references in it (poking fun of The Rock, mainly) and loved that it wasn't full of sexual stuff. 

Seriously funny movie. Hoping there will be a sequel.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:15 AM, tesuji said:

Question for those who have seen Deadpool:

I automatically dislike the irreverant, crass look of this movie. However, I wonder if I would like it if it was edited for content. Watching it on Vidangel, I couldl make all the swears silent and skip over all the other R stuff. 

Would this movie be enjoyable, even watchable, if you took out all the R-rated content? Or would too much of the story be missing? Or is it just offensive, no matter what you remove?

The studio announced that they wouldn't be submitting it for screening in China, as by the time the Chinese censors were done there wouldn't be a movie left. 

What does that tell you? 

13 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The studio announced that they wouldn't be submitting it for screening in China, as by the time the Chinese censors were done there wouldn't be a movie left. 

What does that tell you? 

It tells me the Chinese Film Industry are hypocrites.  Chinese Films thrive on violence.  Ip Man, hello... bad language is always overdubbed and the sex scene can be scrubbed.  Removing the violent parts will affect the plot points.  But they have no problem producing extended saga type violent movies.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It tells me the Chinese Film Industry are hypocrites.  Chinese Films thrive on violence.  Ip Man, hello... bad language is always overdubbed and the sex scene can be scrubbed.  Removing the violent parts will affect the plot points.  But they have no problem producing extended saga type violent movies.

What about sex? I have the impression the Chinese sensors are much stricter on that

21 hours ago, tesuji said:

What about sex? I have the impression the Chinese sensors are much stricter on that

Very strict.  Asians are prudes in public but horn dogs in private (do you know that Chinese families hire nude dancers for funerals? hah hah).  But, sex is easy to sensor as it usually doesn't have much to contribute to dialogue or plot point.  Well, unless you got a movie like Fifty Shades of Grey where the sex IS the plot point.  Anyway, french kisses get cut short to the first second, sex scenes are either entirely cut out or chopped up to only show the parts with dialogue... easy stuff that has no impact on the story.  In Deadpool, the sex part can be easily removed without any impact at all to the integrity of the movie.  The foul language can be easily overdubbed.  The Chinese Film Institute banned Deadpool for its violent cinematography... hence, my calling them out as hypocrites.

On 6/22/2016 at 8:10 PM, beefche said:

Just saw Central Intelligence with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart. OH MY WORD! That was laugh out loud funny! 

Surprising not as much language as I would anticipate. There is some and there is brief nudity (man's backside). But, this movie made the whole audience laugh out loud--like belly laugh. I love the little references in it (poking fun of The Rock, mainly) and loved that it wasn't full of sexual stuff. 

Seriously funny movie. Hoping there will be a sequel.

Did you sit through the scenes in the credits?  The last one was awesome... About fake names.  Hah hah hah.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Did you sit through the scenes in the credits?  The last one was awesome... About fake names.  Hah hah hah.

Yes! I laughed so hard at that! And it clued me in on the little joke about the character name for Dwayne Johnson.  LOL!

On 6/21/2016 at 9:14 AM, tesuji said:

Question for those who have seen Deadpool:

Based on how it's been marketed, I automatically dislike the irreverent, crass look of this movie. However, I am technically in the target audience (comic book nerds). I wonder if I would like it if it was edited for content. Watching it on Vidangel, I could make all the swears silent and skip over all the other R stuff. 

Would this movie be enjoyable, even watchable, if you took out all the R-rated content? Or would too much of the story be missing? Or is it just offensive, no matter what you remove?

This isn't going to answer your question. I don't mind bad language or nude scenes included in movies; some violent scenes on certain movies can be over the top or gory that I filter myself. I didn't really know too much about Deadpool but the opening credits had me hooked right from the start. And the Deadpool character is kinda loveable. I liked how the story was told, so the audience (me) could understand how he became Deadpool.

M.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:11 PM, Maureen said:

I recently saw Finding Dory and loved it. The short film at the beginning called Piper was adorable.

M.

Went on a daddy date with my 15 year old, and was surprised she chose this one. Both the short and the movie were cute.

15 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Japan doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Yes they do.  The "duplicity" is even more pronounced because of their extremely respectful public persona.  Their pop culture is more westernized than the others with South Korea following closely but even these celebrity images are prudes compared to their western counterparts.

15 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Japan doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Yes they do.  The "duplicity" is even more pronounced because of their extremely respectful public persona.  Their pop culture is more westernized than the others with South Korea following closely but even these celebrity images are prudes compared to their western counterparts.

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I think the point of disagreement is what we perceive as their public persona.  I perceive it as quite different than you describe here.

To the people here making a lot of broad statements about "The Asians," as Trump would put it - 

Perhaps you want to start another thread about the morality of Asians, rather than derail this one.

Just remember you are talking about a region that consists of many countries and cultures and billions of people. And that their cultures are very different form the West.  Also, that these people have not had the benefit of Christian teachings. However, they have had a lot of admirable teachers of morality in their history - as the Book of Mormon says, the Lord gives teachers of truth to all nations.

So I suggest you specify which Asian culture you are going to talk about. And maybe you even want to withhold from commenting unless you think you really understand whatever culture you are discussing.

I lived in Japan for over a year teaching English, and the Japanese I met were good people. I think we could learn a lot from the Japanese - about working together and getting along together in harmony, for example.

Edited by tesuji

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I think the point of disagreement is what we perceive as their public persona.  I perceive it as quite different than you describe here.

Ok.  My perception is the common perception in Southeast Asia not counting the atrocities of Japanese soldiers in WWII.
But it's not important.  My point was about the Chinese hypocrisy over Deadpool.

Edited by anatess2

I watched Eye in the Sky with Helen Mirren.  While I admire her as an actress, I was not all that impressed with the movie.  

And I HATED the ending.

37 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

"Legend of Tarzan". 

One of the better movies I've seen in a while. 

Really?  I checked the Rotten Tomatoes on it, and the reviews weren't too flattering (note: I'm not arguing with you, just curious).  What would you say was good about it?  

49 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Really?  I checked the Rotten Tomatoes on it, and the reviews weren't too flattering (note: I'm not arguing with you, just curious).  What would you say was good about it?  

The film didn't try to be anything more than it really was. 

It sold itself as an action flick, and that's what it was. 

The acting talent was well-cast, the pacing was the tightest I've seen in some time, and the film took a pragmatic approach to everything instead of moralizing. Each major character, and most minor characters, have clearly-defined reasons for doing what they do, and it's even clearly laid out why the good guys are so easily able to plow through the enemy thugs like they do; for example, the American ambassador is clearly stated as being a combat veteran with about 20 years' experience under his belt, whereas many of the Belgian soldiers seemingly have no combat experience at all. 

It's the kind of film where you just sit down, grab your snacks, and enjoy the ride. 

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic