What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

14 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The film didn't try to be anything more than it really was. 

It sold itself as an action flick, and that's what it was. 

The acting talent was well-cast, the pacing was the tightest I've seen in some time, and the film took a pragmatic approach to everything instead of moralizing. Each major character, and most minor characters, have clearly-defined reasons for doing what they do, and it's even clearly laid out why the good guys are so easily able to plow through the enemy thugs like they do; for example, the American ambassador is clearly stated as being a combat veteran with about 20 years' experience under his belt, whereas many of the Belgian soldiers seemingly have no combat experience at all. 

It's the kind of film where you just sit down, grab your snacks, and enjoy the ride. 

Cool!  

12 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Cool!  

Nutshell summation:

Lord Greystoke is living in England alongside Jane, the pair having left Africa some time ago. He has no interest in returning, especially given that he is now a member of Parliament. This changes when the Belgian government invites him to come tour their colonies in the Congo as part of an obvious publicity stunt. He initially refuses, only to have a member of America's diplomatic mission to the UK point something out to him: "How can Belgium pay for everything when they're nearly bankrupt?". This question causes Lord Greystoke to relent, at which point he agrees to take Jane and the American ambassador with him. 

It turns out that the Belgian official in charge of the colony has been kidnapping locals for use as slave labor. When this ultimately proved insufficient, he made a deal with the Opar tribe. Lord Greystoke killed the chief's only son (an act of blind vengeance for the son killing someone dear to Lord Greystoke), and so the chief is more than willing to give the official his weight in the Opar tribe's especially pure diamonds if he can bring Greystoke back to Africa so that the chief can extract his vengeance. If the diamonds make their way to Belgium before the evidence of his crimes makes it back to the UK, he'll be able to afford enough soldiers and mercenaries to turn the Congo into a police state and potentially even invade the other colonies. 

The action is intense and even a bit bloody, but it's as close to the classic pulp as you're going to get in this day and age. 

I watched The Revenant.  I thought the movie was okay.  I got a little confused with all of the flashbacks at times.  But I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did an excellent job in it.  I can see why he won the academy for best actor.   

On 6/26/2016 at 4:38 PM, Carborendum said:

Japan doesn't seem to fit that mold.

etiquette and honor are still big things there. entertainment is a form of escape.
face value

last video i saw was about half swordin- how to grip a razor sharp sword with your hands to either direct the point through the other guys visor or to use the guard as a hammer. (used against armored opponents)

Edited by Blackmarch

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

What did you think of the movie for an adult viewer?

If you're familiar with how animals actually are in real life, you'll see a lot of it reflected in the film. 

Beyond that, the humor is surprisingly good, such that it actually makes up for some of the cliches. 

Also, there's a new Minions short at the beginning. 

15 hours ago, Ironhold said:

If you're familiar with how animals actually are in real life, you'll see a lot of it reflected in the film. 

Beyond that, the humor is surprisingly good, such that it actually makes up for some of the cliches. 

Also, there's a new Minions short at the beginning. 

Cool! Thanks!

On 6/27/2016 at 10:37 AM, tesuji said:

To the people here making a lot of broad statements about "The Asians," as Trump would put it - 

Perhaps you want to start another thread about the morality of Asians, rather than derail this one.

Just remember you are talking about a region that consists of many countries and cultures and billions of people. And that their cultures are very different form the West.  Also, that these people have not had the benefit of Christian teachings. However, they have had a lot of admirable teachers of morality in their history - as the Book of Mormon says, the Lord gives teachers of truth to all nations.

So I suggest you specify which Asian culture you are going to talk about. And maybe you even want to withhold from commenting unless you think you really understand whatever culture you are discussing.

I lived in Japan for over a year teaching English, and the Japanese I met were good people. I think we could learn a lot from the Japanese - about working together and getting along together in harmony, for example.

We are not talking about the morality of Asians.  Don't know how you got that from our short conversation on the topic.  We are talking about the hypocrisy of the Chinese Film Industry banning Deadpool because of the violence when the Chinese Film Industry thrive on violence.

Last night the kids went to be early, so my wife and I decided to watch an inspirational Christian movie. VidAngel had The Cokeville Miracle. It had a different vibe then most Christian movies I'd seen. I wasn't sure how, but towards the end, I put it together.  The protagonist father is having a crisis of faith, but nevertheless goes into the church with his family. The layout is different though--more broken up, with lots of rooms.  Right away I'm thinking...hmmmm. The dad leaves his class (see, I'm already thinking that believers on the edge wouldn't be going to Sunday School--only the main service).  Then he peaks in on the children's session, and they are singing a song that addresses all his questions. The children are holding stylized pictures of Jesus with children, Jesus with families, etc. Then it hit me--this is an LDS ward! The people were too dressed up, also--it has to be.  At the end, pictures of the families involved in the incident are shown, and they are mostly 5+ people. So, afterwards, I did a quick google, and sure 'nuff...the producer is LDS, but decided to go for a broadly spiritual film, instead.  I'm guessing if I didn't spend time at this site I might never have picked up on it.

In the theater, I saw 'Independence Day 2' and I liked it. There's no accounting for taste, huh?

Yesterday after church, I came in on part of the old 'Odd Couple' movie. There is a scene were Felix is telling the Pigeon Sisters about his kids. He says he misses them terribly and one sister asks when he gets to see them. Felix lists a ton of times - after school, weekends, summer, holidays..  Considering how often he sees them, she asks, "When do you miss them?" and Felix answers, "Whenever they aren't here."

I just about died. I was crying like a baby and had to send my son the dialog and tell him how often I think of him, even tho he is a grown man now.  It got me a nice, "I love you, mom." email, so there's that. : )

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, dahlia said:

In the theater, I saw 'Independence Day 2' and I liked it. There's no accounting for taste, huh?

You said that @dahlia. Sure it was what I was thinking, but you said it. ;-) 

On 7/16/2016 at 4:34 AM, Ironhold said:

Watched the new Ghostbusters film. 

Even worse than the hype. 

Watched Ghostbusters too.

Loved it.

Okay, so you can chop the entire movie and just keep the scenes where Thor is dancing and I would love the movie.  Yep.  I would.

On July 19, 2016 at 9:17 PM, dahlia said:

Yesterday after church, I came in on part of the old 'Odd Couple' movie. There is a scene were Felix is telling the Pigeon Sisters about his kids. He says he misses them terribly and one sister asks when he gets to see them. Felix lists a ton of times - after school, weekends, summer, holidays..  Considering how often he sees them, she asks, "When do you miss them?" and Felix answers, "Whenever they aren't here."

I just about died. I was crying like a baby and had to send my son the dialog and tell him how often I think of him, even tho he is a grown man now.  It got me a nice, "I love you, mom." email, so there's that. : )

I looooove the original odd couple movie. I watch it every Christmas. Is everybody happy?

On 3/29/2013 at 4:39 PM, Vort said:

Skyfall...

I loved Skyfall, in spite of all the things you mentioned, and in spite of Daniel Craig. I thought it had more emotional depth than other Bond movies. The villain was also deeper, and more icky-villainous -- these movies only work as well as their villains. I also love the theme song and the whole musical score.

And the part where Judi Dench reads Tennyson while the aging Bond is running to save the day was heroic. The poem fits Britain now better than when Tennyson wrote it. One of the most moving scenes I've seen in a movie:

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

The long final showdown was also well-done, I thought.

Edited by tesuji

Date night last week and we were thinking about either Star Trek Beyond or Ghostbusters.  As big a fan as I am of both of the originals, I just couldn't bring myself to watch either of these redux.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic