What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Just saw "Max Steel" this afternoon. 

One censored swear word as Max hurts himself in a training exercise, but otherwise it's in keeping with most teenage action films these days. 

The movie appears to follow more after the reboot from a few years ago than the original circa 2000 cartoon series, but it does borrow elements from the latter. 

On Canadian Thanksgiving Monday (we had our dinner on Sunday) I saw The Girl on the Train. I liked it. It introduced us to the important characters. As the story evolved I thought of the different characters that could have "done it". It was entertaining. As a forewarning, there was nudity.

M.

Edited by Maureen

Last night I saw The Accountant - I loved it. It was very violent but I really liked the Ben Affleck character. Some of my fellow watchers thought there were inconsistencies in the character's emotions but I could see how they could be explained. I recommend this movie.

M.

Just FYI:

Max Steel and Dead Poet's Society is not listed on kids-in-mind.

Girl on the Train (rated-R) scores:  Sex/Nudity = 8/10, Violence/Gore = 6/10, Profanity = 9/10

The Accountant (rated-R) scores:  Sex/Nudity = 1/10, Violence/Gore = 7/10, Profanity = 7/10

In Canada, The Girl on the Train and The Accountant are both rated 14A; which means suitable for persons age 14 and older. Those under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.

A lot of these type of movies with these varied ratings in different countries must be looked at with the viewers personal choice of what they are comfortable watching.

M.

6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Just FYI:

Max Steel and Dead Poet's Society is not listed on kids-in-mind.

Girl on the Train (rated-R) scores:  Sex/Nudity = 8/10, Violence/Gore = 6/10, Profanity = 9/10

The Accountant (rated-R) scores:  Sex/Nudity = 1/10, Violence/Gore = 7/10, Profanity = 7/10

I'm not surprised about "Max Steel". 

Down in Latin America, the franchise is a massive hit; it's been consistently popular since it first came out 20 years ago, and there's no sign of it slowing down. He-Man might get all the spotlight, but Max Steel has the sales numbers to back him up. 

Outside of Latin America, however, the franchise has been lukewarm at best. The franchise did well when it first came out, especially given the astoundingly intelligent and well-written cartoon series it had supporting it. But things fizzled out once the cartoon ended, and so it lay dormant until the revival a few years ago... which changed things so completely that the only things shared between the two were a handful of character names. The revival was pretty well dead on arrival, but Mattel and Disney kept beating that horse anyway. 

The movie was first pitched back during the revival, but ended up on the back burner in favor of other projects. By all appearances, Mattel only revived it so that they could beat the "Power Rangers" theatrical revival to theaters. 

Given the franchise's strong success in Latin America, I would imagine that so long as the film kept costs to a minimum (I'm thinking $15 - $20 million) international receipts will at least break it even. It very much felt like a quick turn-and-burn venture, especially given the minimal promotion, so we'll see. 

20 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I'm not surprised about "Max Steel". 

Down in Latin America, the franchise is a massive hit; it's been consistently popular since it first came out 20 years ago, and there's no sign of it slowing down. He-Man might get all the spotlight, but Max Steel has the sales numbers to back him up. 

Outside of Latin America, however, the franchise has been lukewarm at best. The franchise did well when it first came out, especially given the astoundingly intelligent and well-written cartoon series it had supporting it. But things fizzled out once the cartoon ended, and so it lay dormant until the revival a few years ago... which changed things so completely that the only things shared between the two were a handful of character names. The revival was pretty well dead on arrival, but Mattel and Disney kept beating that horse anyway. 

The movie was first pitched back during the revival, but ended up on the back burner in favor of other projects. By all appearances, Mattel only revived it so that they could beat the "Power Rangers" theatrical revival to theaters. 

Given the franchise's strong success in Latin America, I would imagine that so long as the film kept costs to a minimum (I'm thinking $15 - $20 million) international receipts will at least break it even. It very much felt like a quick turn-and-burn venture, especially given the minimal promotion, so we'll see. 

You're right.  Max Steel is pretty much dead on arrival in the US.  It grossed just over $2 million on its opening day weekend underachieving its expectations even as it doesn't have much of an opening competitor in the PG-13 market.  It's not gonna get much better from there.  I don't know how much they spent on the movie but it couldn't be more than $15M, I don't think.  The movie feels like a low-budget film.  I did enjoy it even as it was kinda... okay, I'll say it... boring.  There just wasn't a meaningful storyline.  I think the producers wasn't really going for the box office sales.  I think they were just creating a 2-hour advertisement for their action figures.

The Accountant.  Twice.  With the kids both times.  We're probably gonna see it again soon.  Yes, it's THAT good especially because I have 2 boys.  They like movies that show 2 brothers taking care of each other - like Warrior, which is one of their favorite movies.  It also helps that my 2 boys are "investment aware".  Lots of CPA-speak that can get you lost in the weeds.

Rated-R for headshots (the Accountant is an autistic guy who is keen on precision) and a smattering of F-words.

Edited by anatess2

34 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The Accountant.  Twice.  With the kids both times.  We're probably gonna see it again soon.  Yes, it's THAT good especially because I have 2 boys.  They like movies that show 2 brothers taking care of each other - like Warrior, which is one of their favorite movies.  It also helps that my 2 boys are "investment aware".  Lots of CPA-speak that can get you lost in the weeds.

Rated-R for headshots (the Accountant is an autistic guy who is keen on precision) and a smattering of F-words.

anatess, did you notice (at least I thought so) that The Accountant's firearms were much louder than "the bad guys'" firearms? :)

M.

Guest MormonGator
On October 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM, anatess2 said:

Dead Poet's Society. 

I realized I marched to the beat of my own drummer when I saw this movie. Everyone loved it and was talking about what a great movie it was and how Robin Williams is the greatest. I was thinking "This is the most cloying, manipulative movie I've ever seen." 

Yeah, Gator, me too.  I like hateable stuff and vice-versa.  

Saw Suicide Squad.  It bumped out Mystery Men for that special place in my heart.  Yeah, the people who like to see certain things in movies (character development, intriguing plot, new twists on the bad guy) all went away disappointed.  I went away happy.  And moved to tears at Harley's dream.  But then, I allow myself to be easily moved to tears at stuff other people reject as unworkable or too cookie-cutter or whatever.  I'm a sucker for a broken character with a redemption need.

It wasn't like a movie, it was like one of the less-popular comic book story arcs where nothing really gets resolved/deepened/forwarded in any meaningful way, but the filler is great. It has little in the way of redeeming qualities, nothing really virtuous or lovely.  I'm not giving it a good report, it's not worthy of praise, so don't go seeking after it.  But I liked it.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, Gator, me too.  I like hateable stuff and vice-versa.  

Thanks man. I remember when he died I said that his passing was very tragic. Some idiot said "Wait you liar! You never liked his movies!" Yeah that's true but that hardly means I wanted the man dead. 

On 10/24/2016 at 10:17 AM, anatess2 said:

I spent a minute trying to figure out why these would earn an R-rating.

179px-Michelle_Obama_official_portrait_h   Bing_Crosby_1930s_zps4gbuevtv.jpg

Then I figured out what you were actually talking about.

Anyway, last night I watched The Great Escape with my parents, brother, and sister-in-law.

Forgot to post it earlier, but...

Inferno. 

It was the only new movie opening at the local theater. 

As far as seeing it goes, don't. Not because it's got Tom Hanks (which doesn't help its case any), but because it's slow-paced and incredibly boring. 

Star Trek the Motion picture.

The more i think about that one the more ilove that one out ofvthe star trek movies, coming in first place because it is the most star trek out of the lot. With the fourth movie coming in at a close second. I also find it to be one of the more religious nonreligion ones.

Fast Five!  I have only seen two of the fast and furious movies (the first and now this one) and i actually really have liked them both.  I have loaded up my new phone with the entire series and I am working down the line.  There is surprisingly a lot more emotional depth than one would think, and no men in tights, errr... superheroes, running around.  

Yeah yeah, i like primarily culturally significant movies with lots of artistic merit and all that, but sometimes you are just in the mood for good, mindless fun.

9 hours ago, Maureen said:

I've seen both Frozen and Brave and while I like Frozen, I like Brave more. The heroine Merida is a fun character and just a smidge more likeable than Anna from Frozen. :)

M.

Ugh.  I hate Merida.  It takes a special kind of nasty to do the things she did.  But I like Brave because of the Mum and Dad and their relationship.