What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

9 hours ago, Vort said:

"Bated". I almost always see it written as "baited breath", as if they just ate sushi.

That doesn't make sense.. baited breath... as in hook a worm to catch fish kind of bait?  How does that relate to breath getting diminished?

Had to spend a semester on figurative and idiomatic expressions.  Bated breath is in that class... Bated - poetic form of Abate (Shakespearean if I recall correctly), to diminish until almost suspended... which means, if you don't give out that review sometime soon, I'm gonna turn purple...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... lots of movies...

Moana - cute.  The Rock was awesome in his song.

Rogue One.  Awesome.  Fixed some flaws in the original trilogy.  Also showed exactly why Darth Vader was feared in the galaxy.  The last few minutes of the movie was a shocking Darth Vader horror show.  For some reason, I found those couple minutes more horrifying than Anakin's turning dark in Revenge of the Sith.

Passengers.   I thought it moved too slow.  I got bothered by the unnecessary skin.  I'm not a fan of Jennifer Lawrence too so I guess that contributed to it.  But after the movie my husband and I had quite a time discussing what we would have done in the same circumstances.

Assassin's Creed.  Super Awesome!!!  But my kids fell asleep.  They thought it was boring.  I don't know why.  I thought it was the most amazing movie.  I love the action scenes.  I love Fassbender - as usual.  I love the girl Assassin - can't remember her actor name.  She's not a Hollywood actress - she's from some foreign film of some kind.  I don't like Cotillard but she's ok in this movie.  The story is quite thin - the apple of free will was kinda lame, but can't help it as it is the point of the video game.

On 12/27/2016 at 0:47 PM, anatess2 said:

Assassin's Creed.  Super Awesome!!!  But my kids fell asleep.  They thought it was boring.  I don't know why.  I thought it was the most amazing movie.  I love the action scenes.  I love Fassbender - as usual.  I love the girl Assassin - can't remember her actor name.  She's not a Hollywood actress - she's from some foreign film of some kind.  I don't like Cotillard but she's ok in this movie.  The story is quite thin - the apple of free will was kinda lame, but can't help it as it is the point of the video game.

Sorry, but I have to agree with your kids on this one! 

I found the visuals of the movie movie to be very b-rated in appearance. 

I found the action scenes to be extremely dull. The fight choreography reminded me of beginners in a martial arts class going through the motions. 

As for story, I agree that it was VERY thin! This is also the weakest part of the game and the fans of the game have said this for years. Nobody plays the game (or wanted to watch the movie) because of the apple of eden storyline. The best part of the games is the parkour style exploration of older civilizations and combatives used at that time period. 

This movie should have been an introduction to a simple storyline that touched on a war between assassins and templars. (Even most of the games don't go into much depth concerning the apple of eden.) Then, setting the movie in a more historical scenario, in which the life of the assassin was explored in greater depth, would have been far more reminiscent of playing the game.

Any sequels could have fleshed out an assassins's life in a different time period. (Like the game!) 

Instead, I paid $8 to watch "Asleepin's Creed." 

Sing.

Ahhh!!!!  LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT MOVIE!  I'm quite surprised that Scarlet Johannsen can sing.  My favorite part of the movie is when the Gorilla with a soulful voice decided to ditch the R&B for... Elton John!  Anyway, I was laughing and singing and dancing and crying in the theater.

I finally watched Home. Oh wow, that was adorable and got me right in the heart strings! Very cute characters and the story had a lot more depth than I expected. Yes, it was silly in a lot of parts but that's par for the course for animated family films. I absolutely adored the music, some of those songs just hitting the right emotional tone.

The Parent Trap(1961)

I used to love this movie so much growing up! Watching it again was a bit nostalgic but I still think it's quite a classic. Such an endearing story about sisters and family. Definitely a product of its time, I nonetheless am won over by all the performances and characters. Even the sneaky, golddigger, Vickie. :D Hayley Mills is absolutely a doll and totally believable as the twins.

I watched Suicide Squad. Really did not like that very much. It was like a really long commercial for a better movie. I watched a lot of reviews beforehand and even spoiled myself on a few things in order to try to get myself hyped up for it. Even knowing how many people kept saying how rushed and superficial it is and mentioning all the annoying "teaser" flashbacks, I was still incredibly disappointed by all of that. The villain was not a good match for the team and I did not care about anybody or even like them as "antiheros." It seriously felt like looking at a hummingbird's wings watching this thing: you get the general impression of shape but as soon as you focus on one thing, it's gone and there's something else just as fleeting popping in for a quick second.

Worst of all, I hated Leto and Robbie's interpretations of Joker and Harley. I'm not sure if seeing more in depth scenes of them would have helped because literally everything about his Joker was...not Jokerish. I get that he's "trying to make it his own" or whatever but there was nothing there but lower level ghetto thug stereotypes. No derangement, no hilarity, no "murderous psychopathic clown." Don't even get me started on his annoying laugh and the constant pursuit of Harley was a bit confusing as well. Just awful and I will not watch anything else with these actors playing these characters again. Redo, DC. Redo.

Guest MormonGator
On January 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM, a mustard seed said:

Worst of all, I hated Leto and Robbie's interpretations of Joker and Harley. I'm not sure if seeing more in depth scenes of them would have helped because literally everything about his Joker was...not Jokerish. I get that he's "trying to make it his own" or whatever but there was nothing there but lower level ghetto thug stereotypes. No derangement, no hilarity, no "murderous psychopathic clown." Don't even get me started on his annoying laugh and the constant pursuit of Harley was a bit confusing as well. Just awful and I will not watch anything else with these actors playing these characters again. Redo, DC. Redo.

I've noticed that people either love or hate the representation Leto/Robbie provide. There is virtually no one who said "It's okay, I sort of like it." Very polarizing. 

Edited by MormonGator

The Intern.  4/5 stars.

It started out 6/5 stars with fantastic acting and good script.  But then the ending was kind of nonexistent.  I felt like the problems didn't actually get resolved and their should have been a couple more minutes of movie to watch.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:45 AM, MormonGator said:

I've noticed that people either love or hate the representation Leto/Robbie provide. There is virtually no one who said "It's okay, I sort of like it." Very polarizing. 

I imagine so! I've heard those kinds of opinions as well, never in the middle or neutral about them.

I recently watched Pollyanna(1960). One of my favorites as a little girl! I always loved Pollyanna's joyous spirit and there's a gentle tone about the entire film. Very easy going, even the minor bit of conflict with the town and Miss Harrington was kind of toned down as far as conflicts go but I liked it a lot. My favorites are when Pollyanna visits the old man and then that old sickly woman and brightens both of their days. What a great example of service she is! Just visiting with people because she wants to see them and help them. I cried this time at the end when she's broken her back. The whole entire town comes to see her because they all love her so much.

I want to watch more movies like this from a similar time period(60-70's). I'm extremely unfamiliar with the genre but I really like the style of these stories and the acting. They seem deeper somehow, like Pollyanna isn't really so much a story "about" anything, but it is really good and interesting. I have only watched these ones with young leads because I watched these when I was young and I know I'll like them but if anybody can recommend any older films that have good messages, feel good, or are just good and uplifting dramas, I'd like to try them out! They don't have to be "kid" movies like The Parent Trap or Pollyanna.

My 13 year old son dragged me and his 16 year old cousin to go see Moana. I really wasn't in the mood for Disney but I ended up really enjoying it. So did the boys. I lived for a time on Maui and my daughter currently attends BYU Hawaii and both my daughters when younger grew up attending a Halau in Seattle and danced Hawaiian and Taitian. My wife also graduated from BYU Hawaii so this movie hit close to home. Both boys commented that Moana reminded them of their sister/cousin.

I enjoyed the music but was honestly a little disappointed that they didn't use more Polynesian music other than background music. But I guess they are sticking to their standard formula where the songs are typical princess-pop...like Brave. 

5/5

19 minutes ago, Windseeker said:

My 13 year old son dragged me and his 16 year old cousin to go see Moana. I really wasn't in the mood for Disney but I ended up really enjoying it. So did the boys. I lived for a time on Maui and my daughter currently attends BYU Hawaii and both my daughters when younger grew up attending a Halau in Seattle and danced Hawaiian and Taitian. My wife also graduated from BYU Hawaii so this movie hit close to home. Both boys commented that Moana reminded them of their sister/cousin.

I enjoyed the music but was honestly a little disappointed that they didn't use more Polynesian music other than background music. But I guess they are sticking to their standard formula where the songs are typical princess-pop...like Brave. 

5/5

The Rock is what made Moana.  :D