What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Zarahemla said:

What is your opinion of Citizen Kane? I watched it in college after hearing all the hype and found it kind of boring, although I was very impressed that Orson Welles did it while so young.

One of the greatest movies of all time, bar none. Loved it. 

4 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

What is your opinion of Citizen Kane? I watched it in college after hearing all the hype and found it kind of boring, although I was very impressed that Orson Welles did it while so young.

Have not seen it because i heard it was boring.  Maybe i will get around to watching it someday. 

(No offense Mormongator - i have not seen it, just heard others talk about it)

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

(No offense Mormongator - i have not seen it, just heard others talk about it)

I am mortally offended, and declare a lifelong vendetta. You sir, have made an enemy. 

:lol:

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

One of the greatest movies of all time, bar none. Loved it. 

Why? Seriously, why is this considered the best movie ever? I just don't get it (I understand the movie, I understand how it was pretty revolutionary at the time, I don't understand why people think this is the best movie ever).

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, beefche said:

Why? Seriously, why is this considered the best movie ever? I just don't get it (I understand the movie, I understand how it was pretty revolutionary at the time, I don't understand why people think this is the best movie ever).

@beefche

I admit it's a matter of opinion, and obviously art is extremely subjective. Just because I think a movie is fantastic doesn't mean I expect everyone to love it. That said, when a group of film critics and directors regularly quote CK as the greatest movie of all time, their opinion should hold more merit than yours or mine. It's like the Godfather-virtually all critics and historians love that movie. If you (not you meaning @beefche, royal usage of the word) don't like it, that might be because you (again, royal usage of the word) don't appreciate it. Like my English professor said, If you don't like Shakespeare, you are the problem. Not Shakespeare. When you read Shakespeare, Shakespeare is not on trial. You are. 

CK used storytelling methods that had never been seen before. If nothing else, that alone makes it groundbreaking. The lighting, the cinematography-all of that was pretty much not done in that way before CK. It influenced several genres of film (biographies, crime drama, more) and continues to do so even to this day. It's a landmark of film.  

Edited by MormonGator

4 hours ago, beefche said:

The film was, in large part, a backhanded insult aimed squarely at one of the major media bosses of the day and a few other influential power players. Everyone involved in the film was risking their careers, and perhaps even their necks, to make it. 

10 hours ago, Ironhold said:

The film was, in large part, a backhanded insult aimed squarely at one of the major media bosses of the day and a few other influential power players. Everyone involved in the film was risking their careers, and perhaps even their necks, to make it. 

Hmmm... that's awesome.  Wish some guys in Hollywood would do that kind of backhanded insult at Hollywood and do an ultra conservative movie.  :cool:

On 1/30/2017 at 5:20 PM, MormonGator said:

CK used storytelling methods that had never been seen before. If nothing else, that alone makes it groundbreaking. The lighting, the cinematography-all of that was pretty much not done in that way before CK. It influenced several genres of film (biographies, crime drama, more) and continues to do so even to this day. It's a landmark of film.  

Not too mention, at the age of 25.

On 1/31/2017 at 8:16 AM, anatess2 said:

Hmmm... that's awesome.  Wish some guys in Hollywood would do that kind of backhanded insult at Hollywood and do an ultra conservative movie.  :cool:

To paraphrase John August, the best screenplay is the one that sells. That is a truism for the machine that is Hollywood. Such a film, and filmmakers, would need at this time in history, to come from an independent filmmaker. Someone who has the passion and desire to the point of bankrupting themselves, in the pursuit of telling a story in film. Not necessarily a guy. ;)

17 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

To paraphrase John August, the best screenplay is the one that sells. That is a truism for the machine that is Hollywood. Such a film, and filmmakers, would need at this time in history, to come from an independent filmmaker. Someone who has the passion and desire to the point of bankrupting themselves, in the pursuit of telling a story in film. Not necessarily a guy. ;)

True true.  Citizen Kane did not sell in the box office.  It was considered a flop as it didn't make enough money to cover its cost in its US theatrical release (those days it took months, even years before it goes international).  It received 9 Academy nods but only won 1 which was considered basically a diss.  It wasn't until years (decades?) later that it became popular in the US and got its reputation as the best film ever.

Edited by anatess2

20 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

True true.  Citizen Kane did not sell in the box office.  It was considered a flop as it didn't make enough money to cover its cost in its US theatrical release (those days it took months, even years before it goes international).  It received 9 Academy nods but only won 1 which was considered basically a diss.  It wasn't until years (decades?) later that it became popular in the US and got its reputation as the best film ever.

Some of the 100 people allowed to see, at the time it was made, called it the best film ever made. It was revolutionary in film craft, in all areas of filmmaking (screenwriting, directing, photography, acting) , and brilliantly executed.

It's reputation comes more from film academia (film schools, I mean). Film history, culture and film studies, etc. It is a watermark in the film industry, and not just because of its politics, which is considered secondary to a lot of people who call the film "the best ever".

It is imitated, by filmmakers to this day and Welles' styles can be seen in the "best films" of today. It is a timeless work of art, really!

Edited by Blueskye2

Guest MormonGator

Man on Wire. 

It's a documentary about the guy who placed a tightrope between the twin towers and walked across it-stopping to dance, wave to spectators, etc. Absolutely heart stopping in some scenes. It also plays out like a crime movie from the seventies. Loved it. 

Speaking of film noir, I always wanted to watch Angels with Filthy Souls, the gangster movie featured in Home Alone.  It was not until after my mission when i started looking around for it that i realized it was not a real movie, but a parody of film noir made specifically for Home Alone.

One, two, ten!

Edited by DoctorLemon

13 Hours

i just got mad watching this movie.  The whole time I kept on remembering Susan Rice on TV telling everybody about some YouTube video.  Made my blood boil so much that I couldn't appreciate the movie.

Lifted.

This was such an awesome and inspiring movie!  I just happen to stumble on it while Amazon Prime surfing after watching 13 Hours.  This movie is about a kid who loves to sing and got inspired to join a contest when his dad got deployed to Afghanistan.  It's a movie dedicated to vets so it soothed my boiling blood from 13 Hours.  Ruben Studdard (American Idol winner) is in this movie but he didn't sing!  I was looking forward to him singing....

After watching "13 Hours" I checked IMDB and noticed that the CIA Station Chief was only given the name Bob. I was curious and I found this:

Why hasn't the identity of CIA Station Chief "Bob" been revealed?

During our investigation into the 13 Hours true story, we learned that the identity of "Bob" has remained concealed for safety reasons. "Wish we could put that out there," says former Global Response Staff (GRS) member Kris Paronto. "Whether we'd like to or not, it's still a safety issue. For his safety." -The O'Reilly Factor

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/13-hours/

After watching the movie I can see why Bob wants to remain anonymous.

M.

Watched two movies last night.  First was White Heat - pretty good film noir, and an interesting criminal character study, but not up to "Touch of Evil" standards.  

Also saw "From Here to Eternity"- good acting.  After seeing its notorious beach scene, the only words i could say are, "That's IT!?"  Good acting all around, however.

Tonight's movie in my weeklong Disney/Film Noir adventure was Out of the Past.  A bunch of crooked, greasy people double cross each other over and over and wind up dead.  Fun times!  But not as good as A Touch of Evil.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Robot Carnival

It's a Japanese anthology film from 1986 / 1987. A then-small animation house known as APPP got a bunch of up-and-coming directors together, told them that they (APPP) wanted to do an anthology film based on robots, and gave everyone free reign to do as they pleased. Save for a questionably-legal Southeast Asian release that made its way to Canada circa 2004, Discotek's release of the film last year was the first time since original import house Streamline Pictures went bust 20+ years ago that the film's been legally available in the United States. 

The film has a major place in history on both sides of the Pacific due to the fact that the film ended up serving as an inadvertent showcase. In Japan, the film pretty much made the careers of most of the directors who were involved with it, as they were able to get themselves project after project. In North America, the film quickly became a staple of cable television and so did wonders for the movie import industry as it made people eager to see what else was out there. 

The film itself is pretty well a masterpiece, especially when you consider how much they accomplished with how little. Granted, the film is very obviously a product of the 1980s given the art and music styles at work, but the basics of the work haven't aged a bit. 

A few of the sequences might be a bit hard to sit through, as they either rely on dark comedy or touch on difficult subjects. And I'd also recommend taking advantage of the fact that the Discotek release has both the original Japanese *and* Streamline Pictures English dub, meaning that for those sequences with dialogue you can compare the two.