What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 2017-4-25 at 8:32 AM, anatess2 said:

The Gift.

I super love this movie.  I don't know why.  That girl just wormed her way into my heart that I ended up cheering for her all the way to the end....

Which The Gift movie? The one with Cate Blanchett or the one with Jason Bateman? I've seen the Cate Blanchett movie but not the other one.

M.

1 minute ago, Blueskye2 said:

Z For Zachariah

Following a disaster that wipes out most of civilization, a scientist (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and a miner (Chris Pine) compete for the love of a woman (Margot Robbie) who may be the last female on Earth.

I watched it because I like Chiwetel Ejiofor. 

Wow, they altered the plot of the book... A lot...

I've been enjoying movies that were made before I was born so I looked up some top classics and added them to my collection.(vudu.com)

Singing in the Rain - Really entertaining and my kids put down what they were doing and watched it. I told them the girl was Princess Lea's mom and they thought that was cool.

Rear View Window -  I've seen the remake and even though I knew the story line it still made me very anxious. Grace Kelly literally took my breath away in one of the scenes where Jimmy Stewart wakes up to her face. She is stunning and it's weird that modern movies and movies stars just don't have that affect on me. (I ended up picking up Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho and look forward to watching them)

Giant - I enjoyed this movie, the story really pulls you in. I really liked the character that Elizabeth Taylor plays.  

The Searchers - I think it's become my favorite western of all time. This movie had me feeling tense and also had moments where I laughed out loud, which I normally don't do. Great movie. Beautifully transferred to digital (HD).

What are your favorite classics?

11 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

Z For Zachariah

Following a disaster that wipes out most of civilization, a scientist (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and a miner (Chris Pine) compete for the love of a woman (Margot Robbie) who may be the last female on Earth.

I watched it because I like Chiwetel Ejiofor. 

I really noticed Chiwetel Ejiofor in The Martian and then he was in Doctor Strange. Ever since I keep noticing him in past movies I've seen before but didn't really pay attention to him at the time. I pay attention now.

M. 

6 hours ago, Maureen said:

I really noticed Chiwetel Ejiofor in The Martian and then he was in Doctor Strange. Ever since I keep noticing him in past movies I've seen before but didn't really pay attention to him at the time. I pay attention now.

M. 

I first saw him in "Kinky Boots". Still my favorite of his films, where all of his talents are showcased. 

Last night I watched Bon Cop Bad Cop. This first movie came out in 2006 (the sequel is now in theatres). There's an English cop from Ontario and a French cop from Quebec. A dead body is found on each side of both provinces. The bad guy is a disgruntled hockey fan. The movie is 11 years old and the NHL hockey world has changed so much since this movie first came out. It is very funny, lots of English/French teasing. There are english subtitles which sometimes fly by just as fast as those who are speaking the words in french (the french speak extra fast, especially the medical examiner) :). The storyline for me is kind of corny but the relationship between the two cops is great and what makes the movie fun to watch. Lots of swearing in both languages.

M. 

Edited by Maureen

For Mother's Day my son took me to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I had seen the first movie but couldn't remember the storyline, this 2nd movie helped remind me. The soundtrack was wonderful, I loved all the music. Baby Groot was adorable and surprisingly very strong. :) I loved the movie, good story, great characters, both good and evil. Sean Gunn from Gilmore Girls is in the movie, I recognized him right away. Stay for the credits, "I AM GROOT".

Between the Amazon Prime commercial with the dog in the pirate costume and Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I need to find me some Cat Stevens music to enjoy whenever I want. :)

M.

On 4/29/2017 at 9:13 PM, Maureen said:

Which The Gift movie? The one with Cate Blanchett or the one with Jason Bateman? I've seen the Cate Blanchett movie but not the other one.

M.

Sorry!  It's not The Gift.  It's Gifted.  With Captain America and that woman from The Help.

King Arthur

I wasn't expecting much as it is a Guy Richie movie.  But, surprisingly, I enjoyed this movie.  Okay, so Jude Law is one of my favorites of all time and it's great to see him as it's been a few years since I've seen him in a movie.  And he's the same great actor in this one.  The guy from Pacific Rim is in King Arthur in this movie and I really really liked him in Pacific Rim and he didn't disappoint in this one either.  I'm gonna have to go find out what his name is now...

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I liked the first movie better but this one is okay.  I can't believe it's still Vin Diesel doing baby Groot.  I saw some clip where he said on the interview that they didn't warp his voice or anything.  That was really him with the baby Groot voice!  Come to find out, Diesel has been impersonating cartoon characters since he was a kid!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-19 at 11:55 PM, Ironhold said:

Alien: Covenant

If you're not a fan of the franchise, then don't bother; there's nothing in it you'd like. 

I don't know if you have to be a fan but I would advise that if you want to watch Alien: Covenant, watch Prometheus first.

One of the characters is a fan of John Denver; can't argue with that. ?

M.

Tonight I watched Freedom, starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. Weaving together historical and fictional figures, it kinda sorta tells the story of a slave family escaping while also kinda sorta relating it to the writing of the hymn Amazing Grace. It has a lovely soundtrack, and you can tell that everyone involved was more concerned with the message than making money.

Rated R for violence, but I didn't think any of it graphic or gratuitous. A few low-stakes swears by the bad guys. Well worth the $1-3 I spent on it. It ended with a statistic about there being 29 million people in slavery today and a plea to end slavery and sex trafficking (which is odd, as I just watched a few episodes of a crime drama earlier this week about that).

A 2014 live action rendition of Beauty and The Beast in French and it was beautiful. The story is not traditional told at all. It is a love story involving a forest nymph and a king obsessed with hunting mystical creatures. You'd just have to see it to understand the plot but the cinematography is stunning. It's on Netflix right now.