What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Guest MormonGator

Charles III. It's a movie based on the play. It shows a future where Queen Elizabeth II has passed away. I don't want to give anything away but it's an amazing mix of family/political drama. Totally appropriate for all ages too. 

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Womder Woman

Finally.  DC got a winner.  Chris Pine is fast becoming one of my favorites.  But, here again is what is wrong with DC... you got a superhero movie that kids love and DC shows Chris Pine fully naked with just his palm covering his male part.  Sigh. 

Evidently this movie is upsetting all the right people (Salon.com, anti-Israel leftists, etc..). I look forward to seeing it. I suspect it's as you say... a winner :) 

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Charles III. It's a movie based on the play. It shows a future where Queen Elizabeth II has passed away. I don't want to give anything away but it's an amazing mix of family/political drama. Totally appropriate for all ages too. 

I dislike these kind of shows. In this case it's a "what if" story, speculating into the future with real life people living their lives in ridiculous drama; and the characters are being portrayed like nothing even close to their true personalities. These stories are like The Other Boleyn Girl and Anonymous. They tell stupid stories when the real stories are much more interesting.

M.

2 hours ago, seashmore said:

The Last Mimzy.

It's a good story, if you can get past the annoying sound effects in the first act.

One of the main reasons I have a hard time watching  60's-70's movies is the soundtrack.  A perfect example is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly... everytime that Marlboro theme song plays (which is A LOT) in the movie, I cringe.

Yay - finally watched Doctor Strange on Netflix!  Then watched it again.  

The last year and a half, I've been re-watching all the StarTrek series.  I'm back to ST:TNG.  Last time I watched that show was 1991-ish.  Back before I knew what 'da feels' were.  Now I know, and it's like watching with new eyes.  Anyone remember the Darmok tear jerker?

18835615_10209654583505259_6492167652789686774_n.jpg.51a3e3d1057e0dabd8d7e49b689157e3.jpg

Feels in StarTrek?  Who knew?

23 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yay - finally watched Doctor Strange on Netflix!  Then watched it again.  

The last year and a half, I've been re-watching all the StarTrek series.  I'm back to ST:TNG.  Last time I watched that show was 1991-ish.  Back before I knew what 'da feels' were.  Now I know, and it's like watching with new eyes.  Anyone remember the Darmok tear jerker?

18835615_10209654583505259_6492167652789686774_n.jpg.51a3e3d1057e0dabd8d7e49b689157e3.jpg

Feels in StarTrek?  Who knew?

https://www.xkcd.com/902/

Darmok and Jalad

Cars 3. 

The bulk of the movie was good, but the ending just went and blew everything all to snot and back. 

I can't say too much without spoiling it, but the film set up for a far better, far more satisfying ending than what we got, raising questions as to if the ending we did get was a last-minute change someone forced on the writing team. 

On 6/18/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ironhold said:

Cars 3. 

The bulk of the movie was good, but the ending just went and blew everything all to snot and back. 

I can't say too much without spoiling it, but the film set up for a far better, far more satisfying ending than what we got, raising questions as to if the ending we did get was a last-minute change someone forced on the writing team. 

Not really.  I called the ending from the "beach scene".  They were building up to it.  I like the concept of the ending although I thought it was lame to "cut into the race" like that (trying to word it so as not to spoil anything!).

On 6/20/2017 at 11:04 AM, anatess2 said:

Not really.  I called the ending from the "beach scene".  They were building up to it.  I like the concept of the ending although I thought it was lame to "cut into the race" like that (trying to word it so as not to spoil anything!).

Spoiler Alert-

Here's how I would have ended it. 

Lightning takes the tricks he learned from Smokey and uses them to beat Storm. This proves that raw speed and tech in and of themselves won't get the job done for long; if you don't have your head in the game, you're going to lose eventually. 

With Lightning having won, he's kept up his end of the deal and so is no longer obliged to be a spokesman, thus freeing him from his promise. Instead, Lightning is able to work out a deal under his own terms. Since he won, he's going to go out on top and serve as crew chief for his successor... Cruz, who is the new #95. Smokey and his old crew work to revamp the Rust-Eeze training program to include the kind of old-school training that helped Lightning win, something that spurs other training schools to seek out older, more experienced racers and get them out of retirement as well so that they can also serve as instructors. This gives the older guys a chance to go out with dignity instead of just fading away, while the tougher, more realistic training techniques weed out racers who are doing it for the wrong reasons or don't have the guts for old-school. This echoes what happened at the end of the first movie with Doc & co. being sought after as gurus. 

7 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Spoiler Alert-

Here's how I would have ended it. 

Lightning takes the tricks he learned from Smokey and uses them to beat Storm. This proves that raw speed and tech in and of themselves won't get the job done for long; if you don't have your head in the game, you're going to lose eventually. 

With Lightning having won, he's kept up his end of the deal and so is no longer obliged to be a spokesman, thus freeing him from his promise. Instead, Lightning is able to work out a deal under his own terms. Since he won, he's going to go out on top and serve as crew chief for his successor... Cruz, who is the new #95. Smokey and his old crew work to revamp the Rust-Eeze training program to include the kind of old-school training that helped Lightning win, something that spurs other training schools to seek out older, more experienced racers and get them out of retirement as well so that they can also serve as instructors. This gives the older guys a chance to go out with dignity instead of just fading away, while the tougher, more realistic training techniques weed out racers who are doing it for the wrong reasons or don't have the guts for old-school. This echoes what happened at the end of the first movie with Doc & co. being sought after as gurus. 

Ok. I have to admit... that's a pretty awesome ending.  Love the value put on "old school" emphasis on the end.  You should have written that movie!  You're pretty good!

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Ok. I have to admit... that's a pretty awesome ending.  Love the value put on "old school" emphasis on the end.  You should have written that movie!  You're pretty good!

Thanks. 

What people so often fail to realize is that someone with experience can often keep pace with someone who has youth. 

Instead, the film basically said "If you're old, you're done." 

Edited by Ironhold

I watched 'Conspiracy' the other day and am watching it again. Actually, it is so dialogue-driven, I listen to it like an old-time radio show while I do other work.

I'm working on my journal column, writing about using the Institutional Review Board for human subjects research. I wanted to use some historical examples of 'bad' research, such as the Tuskegee Syphilis experiment and Milgram's obedience study and went online to get some citations. Well, it turns out they recreated Milgram's study in Poland recently and got the same results - people obey, even when they are harming another. So, in terms of 'Conspiracy, ' it is very interesting to me. These were mostly smart men, driven men, who in the name of obedience to a cause, and in their blind antisemitism, had no problem creating the Final Solution. It is a fascinating film. It makes one wonder what one might do, given the 'right' circumstances. 

On 6/24/2017 at 8:13 PM, Ironhold said:

Transformers: The Last Night

Good way to kill an afternoon, but only if you're at least passingly familiar with the rest of the film franchise. 

I fell asleep in the middle of the movie.  It was just too much to visually track.  My brain couldn't keep up with the dialogue, the characters, and the action.

• 2 weeks later...