What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 9/16/2017 at 12:15 AM, Ironhold said:

"American Assassin"

There are better spy movies out there. 

I'm impressed by that kid!  I first saw him as Stiles in Teen Wolf TV series.  He was so-so in Maze Runner.  But he was super awesome in this movie! 

Yes, there are better spy movies but I thought this movie didn't disappoint compared to the book.  I wouldn't mind a sequel.  Non-sensical nudity, even if it's only 1 second long, just needs to go though.

Flatliners.

Doesn't rise up to the original.  The resolution is lame.  It's like they want to avoid being interpreted as promoting an idea of there being an afterlife so they went with easy wrap ups.  I like their portrayal of abortion.  In any case, I spent a lot of the movie peeking through a blanket.  It was scary enough.

Edited by anatess2

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Flatliners.

Doesn't rise up to the original.  The resolution is lame.  It's like they want to avoid being interpreted as promoting an idea of there being an afterlife so they went with easy wrap ups.  I like their portrayal of abortion.  In any case, I spent a lot of the movie peeking through a blanket.  It was scary enough.

That's disappointing to hear. Flatliners is one of my all time favorites. So when I heard they were remaking it, I was excited to see what an updated version would look like(Baldwin's "sin" always struck me as forced and kind of cheesy in execution but still, I have a fondness for how it ends up). I love how Keifer Sutherland is just so mean in that one, lol.

"The Orville".  Dumb, dumb show.  It's star trek except with swear words and wee-wee jokes.  2nd episode: The muscle-y deep-voiced dude is married to a smaller fatter deep-voiced dude, and they had a transgender episode where their egg hatched as a female, and gotta turn it male, but maybe they should let it grow up and decide for itself.  Because we're a progressive show, you see.  

I'm about an inch away from paying CBS five dang bucks a month to watch Star Trek Discovery.  Seems a bit more action-oriented. 

13 hours ago, dahlia said:

'Founder' about Ray Kroc, the McDonald brothers, and the founding of the McDonald empire. I was torn between understanding the McDonald brothers' dream and the dream of Ray Kroc. Two different dreams, neither one being wholly good or wholly bad. 

If the movie is accurate in the portrayal of its characters, then Kroc is vile human being.

Wonder Woman.

Awful movie. Just awful. Worse because I had been told by many that it was a good movie. They were wrong. It was an awful movie.

Note that the directing and acting were both passable. Even the writing was decent. But that it maybe a bit like saying that Mein Kampf was a pretty good read.

Despite my hyperbole, the Nazi reference isn't that far off. Here, one of the most horrific occurrences in recent history is hijacked as a vehicle to forward DC's mythology. Seriously, that alone is just despicable. We're not talking the Peloponnesian War here, or the Battle of Hastings, or even the US Revolutionary War. We're talking World War I, which was happening less than a century ago! There are people alive today who have memories of that period!

But that's maybe a bluenose thing, crying "Too soon!" So let's get into the story.

An island full of beautiful warrior women. Why does this sound familiar? Oh, yes. It's because a current trope is the femme fatale, specifically the woman who shows the stereotypically male characteristics of physical aggression and violence -- except she's far better at it than the men, routinely killing scads of armed baddies (almost always male) with barely more than a flick of her wrist. Think Black Widow, Melinda Mae -- heck, Charlie's Angels. It's the latest big thing: Women who routinely beat the stuffing out of men. Great theater.

Big deal. Big Budget Theater Based on Tired Trope. What else is new? There are far worse tropes, both stupider and more dangerous. (E.g. the Out for Vengeance trope, which is also on full display throughout this film, as well as pretty much every "action" movie or TV show made in the last seventy years.) That's the complaint?

No. Just one complaint among so many others. Honestly, I don't have time to list all the stupid and objectionable parts of this movie, and it would challenge my organizational skills to try to do so in a coherent way. So let me just touch on a few.

• Male principle humblebrags on his penis size, to the delight and raucous laughter of the audience. At least, that was the intent, I'm sure.
  • Lots of coy (or perhaps that should be "coy", as in affectedly insincere) sex talk. I guess this is what passes for clever dialogue.
  • At some point, the male and female principle finally fornicate. We as viewers are supposed to feel a sense of completion, that all is finally right with the world. Thank heavens the two finally "got together"! That's A Good Thing!
  • Watching people get killed is always fun.
  • Ain't it glorious to see Wonder Woman wipe out literally three dozen German "bad guys" -- mostly soldiers following the orders of their superiors -- but then graciously and sagely spare the life of the woman who actually developed the weapons of destruction? Clearly there is zero chance that the evil chemical mastermind will ever actually kill anyone else, unlike those horrible soldiers acting under orders of their superiors.
  • I do have my problems with modern Germany, as I have told in other places. But the German infatuation with generational self-loathing because of the great European wars of the 20th century, especially World War II -- as demonstrated even in our own just-finished General Conference -- is not an appropriate thing for today's German population to indulge in. This movie positively revels in it. Despicable.
  • After centuries of build-up, Wonder Woman vanquishes her unbelievable powerful foe -- by getting sufficiently angry. No, wrath is no mere male deficiency! Behold the triumph of female hysterics!

Clearly, my extreme distaste for this movie is affecting my ability to write about it. I can't even coherently express the reasons for my disgust for this film, only point at a few obvious lowlights. I had such high -- well, at least moderate -- expectations. This was much worse than a mere disappointment. It was a sewer bath.

Overall, this movie is almost pure dog feces with a generous sprinkling of sugar topping and a dollop of whipped cream on top. Except I don't think that's really whipped cream.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Wonder Woman.

Awful movie. Just awful. Worse because I had been told by many that it was a good movie. They were wrong. It was an awful movie.

Note that the directing and acting were both passable. Even the writing was decent. But that it maybe a bit like saying that Mein Kampf was a pretty good read.

Despite my hyperbole, the Nazi reference isn't that far off. Here, one of the most horrific occurrences in recent history is hijacked as a vehicle to forward DC's mythology. Seriously, that alone is just despicable. We're not talking the Peloponnesian War here, or the Battle of Hastings, or even the US Revolutionary War. We're talking World War I, which was happening less than a century ago! There are people alive today who have memories of that period!

But that's maybe a bluenose thing, crying "Too soon!" So let's get into the story.

An island full of beautiful warrior women. Why does this sound familiar? Oh, yes. It's because a current trope is the femme fatale, specifically the woman who shows the stereotypically male characteristics of physical aggression and violence -- except she's far better at it than the men, routinely killing scads of armed baddies (almost always male) with barely more than a flick of her wrist. Think Black Widow, Melinda Mae -- heck, Charlie's Angels. It's the latest big thing: Women who routinely beat the stuffing out of men. Great theater.

Big deal. Big Budget Theater Based on Tired Trope. What else is new? There are far worse tropes, both stupider and more dangerous. (E.g. the Out for Vengeance trope, which is also on full display throughout this film, as well as pretty much every "action" movie or TV show made in the last seventy years.) That's the complaint?

No. Just one complaint among so many others. Honestly, I don't have time to list all the stupid and objectionable parts of this movie, and it would challenge my organizational skills to try to do so in a coherent way. So let me just touch on a few.

• Male principle humblebrags on his penis size, to the delight and raucous laughter of the audience. At least, that was the intent, I'm sure.
  • Lots of coy (or perhaps that should be "coy", as in affectedly insincere) sex talk. I guess this is what passes for clever dialogue.
  • At some point, the male and female principle finally fornicate. We as viewers are supposed to feel a sense of completion, that all is finally right with the world. Thank heavens the two finally "got together"! That's A Good Thing!
  • Ain't it glorious to see Wonder Woman wipe out literally three dozen German "bad guys" -- mostly soldiers following the orders of their superiors -- but then graciously and sagely spare the life of the woman who actually developed the weapons of destruction? Clearly there is zero chance that the evil chemical mastermind will ever actually kill anyone else, unlike those horrible soldiers acting under orders of their superiors.
  • I do have my problems with modern Germany, as I have told in other places. But the German infatuation with generational self-loathing because of the great European wars of the 20th century, especially World War II -- as demonstrated even in our own just-finished General Conference -- is not an appropriate thing for today's German population to indulge in. This movie positively revels in it. Despicable.
  • After centuries of build-up, Wonder Woman vanquishes her unbelievable powerful foe -- by getting sufficiently angry. No, wrath is no mere male deficiency! Behold the triumph of female hysterics!

Clearly, my extreme distaste for this movie is affecting my ability to write about it. I can't even coherently express the reasons for my disgust for this film, only point at a few obvious lowlights. I had such high -- well, at least moderate -- expectations. This was much worse than a mere disappointment. It was a sewer bath.

Overall, this movie is almost pure dog feces with a generous sprinkling of sugar topping and a dollop of whipped cream on top. Except I don't think that's really whipped cream.

Other than that, he loved the movie. 

Themiscyra goes back to the original mythology as presented in the comic books, and if memory serves the title is old enough to where yes, she *did* fight in WWII *as it happened*, just like Superman, Batman, and a number of other comic heroes of the day. 

That's just part of the history of the character. 

On 10/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, Vort said:

Wonder Woman.

Vort, you're gonna be interested to know that there's a movie coming up about the guy who created Wonder Woman.  From the trailer, it seems like we're gonna get a front row seat to the depravity that marks this guy's soul... not sure yet if the movie is gonna portray such depravity as a good thing or a bad thing.  You never know with Hollywood these days.

I saw part of Zoolander 2.

It was the worst, filthiest, most horrible movie I have seen in recent memory.  And no, it wasn't even funny.  (Yes it did get turned off).

@Vort it was even worse than Wonder Woman.

I knew I should have rented "A Dog's Purpose" instead . . . 

Edited by DoctorLemon

Blade Runner 2017 (Rated R)

Avoid at all cost.  It was the stupidest movie ever created.  Ridley Scot should stick to Aliens.

Yes, the storyline was great.  The direction was horrible.  The cinematography was horrible.  The soundtrack was horrible.  There was nothing Harrison Ford or Ryan Gosling could've done to save this movie.  And of course the reviewers loved it.   I shoulda known not to watch .  New motto:  When reviewers rave about it, avoid it.

Edited by anatess2

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

You'd do well to track down the "prequel" comic book series for the supplementary information, but beyond that it's fun and has better animation that even some Disney movies. 

10 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

You'd do well to track down the "prequel" comic book series for the supplementary information, but beyond that it's fun and has better animation that even some Disney movies. 

I am taking my daughter to see that tomorrow.  She is very excited.

11 hours ago, mordorbund said:

And I'm sure @NeuroTypical's daughter is taking him very soon. He is very excited.

Heh - to be transparent, my family seems to have outgrown the thing.  To be totally transparent, I went and saw it on Friday with 4 other dudes.  We're all traumatized it only made $8 million and came in third behind Bladerunner and that lost-in-the-mountains movie.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Heh - to be transparent, my family seems to have outgrown the thing.  To be totally transparent, I went and saw it on Friday with 4 other dudes.  We're all traumatized it only made $8 million and came in third behind Bladerunner and that lost-in-the-mountains movie.

Do you ever look at your kids and wonder, "When did you guys stop being cool?"