What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Big Fish, then Secondhand Lions, back to back, with my wife!  

Why can't they make more feel-good movies like those?  

I also really like the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as well.

Edited by DoctorLemon

On 10/30/2017 at 2:09 PM, Vort said:

Maybe some day I'll sort through my thoughts and distill out why I came away from GotG2 not feeling like I had wasted two hours of my life, as I did with WW.

I'll explain it in a very simple sentence.  Because it is Marvel.

Marvel is approaching the superhero universe in a more fun, even a bit kiddie, "this is really not serious guys, so we can kill a thousand people in one swoop and it's just fine because look.. they're just popping right back up because it's just a silly movie" style.

DC was late in the universe game so they're going the way of Christopher Nolan's Batman to put themselves in contrast with Marvel - too serious, too dark, too adult = too stupid.

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

"Murder On The Orient Express" (2017 version)

It's a slow burn, so you have to be patient with it. 

Just saw it!

Agree with your assessment.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Daddy's Home 2.

Cheesy but has some good takeaways and funny moments.  But I don't like how people, especially kids, just got away with being bad.  I mean, at least get the shoplifter finally get caught and her charms getting ignored as she gets booked... or something.

I saw the New Lego Movie (ninjago) with some grandkids.  Ages 6 and under.  Wife stayed home...she was pretty wise.  Kids loved it, I can't say I enjoyed it as much.  It was a tad violent at times, but since it was with legos...I can't say it was terribly bad.  There was one part I thought might be scary to the little kids (even with the legos), I think they had far less problems with it than I did.

I suppose it's because I thought it was a rated G movie, but it was rated PG, hence probably why it was a little more violent than I was thinking it would be for the kids.

“Valerian”. ....finally. Dunno yet, still thinking on it. Lots of stealing from Star Wars. Super cool SFX. Luc Besson works from three decades mashed together. Will have to watch it again.

Also watched “Baby Driver”, the plot fell apart towards the end. 

Oh, and the dear hubby put on a Doors documentary while I made pies. Definitely a liberal view on the era. Other than that, Morrison was highly intelligent. I commented, except for that time he overdosed. (I think overdosing on drugs is a sign of stupidity, myself,  but I’m really ticked off at a few people for doing the same. Triggered! )

I don’t know what this file is about, and I can’t delete it.

Edited by Blueskye2

Roman Israel Esq

Didn't expect much after reading the rogerebert.com review on it (1-star).  After seeing it, I blacklisted that idiot reviewer.  Dunno what he was yapping on about!  I mean - he even said something about the timeline having the movie's conclusion at the opening scene as a bad thing, no Mr. Reviewer, it was brilliant.  The conclusion is not a spoiler because the movie is not about the conclusion.  The movie is about making the audience wonder how someone could get to that conclusion.  And he said something about Denzel Washington phoning it in using his clothes to portray the character instead of his acting.  Another stupid review.  Denzel's acting was excellent as usual.  He even successfully portrayed the same character in swanky clothes in the movie.

Anyway, it's an awesome lawyer movie.  It needs some deep thinking to truly appreciate it but it's just fine even if we're not bothering to understand the intricacies of Roman's principles.

Geostorm

I'm partial to Gerard Butler movies.  But I found this movie very entertaining.  I expected it to be some liberal propaganda on Global Warming or some such but the movie expertly avoided this pitfall by sticking to moving the plot instead of going preachy.  They even managed to avoid partisanship by putting everybody within one political party, heroes and villains alike!  So we can just relax and enjoy the movie without having it politicized.  It's a simple plot, you see the twists coming, good enough suspense, lots of digital eye-candy, love the kid actress!  And what tops this sundae is the happy ending - I super duper love happy endings. 

On 12/4/2017 at 9:03 AM, anatess2 said:

Geostorm

I'm partial to Gerard Butler movies.  But I found this movie very entertaining.  I expected it to be some liberal propaganda on Global Warming or some such but the movie expertly avoided this pitfall by sticking to moving the plot instead of going preachy.  They even managed to avoid partisanship by putting everybody within one political party, heroes and villains alike!  So we can just relax and enjoy the movie without having it politicized.  It's a simple plot, you see the twists coming, good enough suspense, lots of digital eye-candy, love the kid actress!  And what tops this sundae is the happy ending - I super duper love happy endings. 

That sounds interesting - and is certainly a novel way of not blaming/canonizing any one particular group.

17 hours ago, dahlia said:

That sounds interesting - and is certainly a novel way of not blaming/canonizing any one particular group.

For sure!  Especially because the movie chose the party that is known to be supported by a majority of Hollywood.  So it just becomes a natural part of the movie.