What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Pitch Perfect 3

Loads better than Pitch Perfect 2!  I love it!  Songs were great.  Antics were funny.  Not as much cringy sexual jokes although there are some.  Still lots of male patriarchy jokes but they're always funny so you can take it as either funny-haha or funny-satire.  Some James Bond type action thrown in... and, of course, John Lithgow.

As seen on TV:

"Pokemon The Movie: Hoopa And The Clash Of Ages"

Not enough to cope with a bout of insomnia, but so linear even compared to other Pokemon movies anyone outside of the target audience is likely to be bored. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:19 AM, Ironhold said:

"12 Strong"

One of the rare war movies that focuses more on presenting people as people than anything else. 

It dragged for me.  I still enjoyed it though.

My husband and I argued over whether to let the kids watch it.  No kids for me.

It's a snow day, so I'm watching the 1959 Ben-Hur. Already watched it straight, now it's playing with commentary.

This past week, I've watched Pay It Forward and Forrest Gump, also with commentaries.

And since I'm here, anyone have any particular commentaries they like? Sense and Sensibility has excellent ones, both with Ang Lee and Emma Thompson. 

1 hour ago, seashmore said:

It's a snow day, so I'm watching the 1959 Ben-Hur. Already watched it straight, now it's playing with commentary.

This past week, I've watched Pay It Forward and Forrest Gump, also with commentaries.

And since I'm here, anyone have any particular commentaries they like? Sense and Sensibility has excellent ones, both with Ang Lee and Emma Thompson. 

How does the 2016 Ben Hur compare with the Charlton Heston classic?

5 hours ago, seashmore said:

I love the commentaries. Some of the best are the Lord of the Rings with the cast members. Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd (Merry and Pippin) are simply hilarious. 

Heh - Veggie Tales Jonah commentaries.  Most hilarious 90 minutes I ever spent.  Those people are genius adlibbers, mixed with a healthy dose of ADHD and sped up voices.  My sides hurt for days.  They talked nonstop the entire time.  About every 15 minutes they'd notice they were supposed to be commenting on a movie, and get back on track.  Little known fact: You have to be careful with underwear jokes, "because if you go to far, you lose the church crowd". 

5 hours ago, seashmore said:

The best commentary I have ever watched was the Stuart Little movie. They showed how they filmed the various scenes. The lead woman, Melanie Griffins spent a lot of time with a bag of flour rather than a baby. The explained all the green screen techniques. How they used iconic NYC buildings. Very interesting.

Darkest Hour

Movie about Winston Churchill as PM.  It was a superb movie.  Gary Oldman once again proves he is cut above the rest.  I like the way the movie played off Churchill's public and private persona and the scene where he rides the Underground is on the side of silly artistic license but to me it works to flesh out Churchill's bull-in-a-china-shop but sensitive to populist thought complexity of character.  It is all broadstrokes but the setting is a span of a month or so in 1940 so it doesn't feel shallow at all.

I've seen trolls about 20 times in the past couple of weeks.  That, and Big Hero 6.  Every once in a while I coerce my 3 year old to watch a new movie with me so that he can add that to his repertoire of movies he will watch over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, and again, and again, and you get the point.  :D

14 hours ago, person0 said:

I've seen trolls about 20 times in the past couple of weeks.  That, and Big Hero 6.  Every once in a while I coerce my 3 year old to watch a new movie with me so that he can add that to his repertoire of movies he will watch over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, and again, and again, and you get the point.  :D

We feel for you!

So we watched Coco.  Though it has a different storyline to a degree, I think this film has a special relation to the Mormons in their ideals for Genealogy.  Just like the movie talks about remembering your family and that it is family that is important, we, as Mormons, feel the same way towards our families.  We have slightly different beliefs than that portrayed in the movie, but the message, that we need to remember our ancestors and our families and that this is what is really important is something I found extremely relevant to us, as Mormons.

5:17 to Paris

I super duper love this movie!  It's a real life story and the real guys played themselves in the movie and I was super impressed!  Those guys did a great job!  My sons loved the movie although they said it dragged a bit when they got to Europe.  I actually thought that was a good part of the movie because it's a great way to contrast their time of aimless leisure to Spencer's feeling of hurling into some unknown destiny.  Anyway,  I love those guys.  And I love how Clint Eastwood did not shy away from the religious aspect of their lives.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

5:17 to Paris

I super duper love this movie!  It's a real life story and the real guys played themselves in the movie and I was super impressed!  Those guys did a great job!  My sons loved the movie although they said it dragged a bit when they got to Europe.  I actually thought that was a good part of the movie because it's a great way to contrast their time of aimless leisure to Spencer's feeling of hurling into some unknown destiny.  Anyway,  I love those guys.  And I love how Clint Eastwood did not shy away from the religious aspect of their lives.

Didn't shy away from it?

The film is a de facto Christian movie.