What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Guest Godless

Saw Black Panther yesterday. Not your typical MCU flick, but very enjoyable nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Yeah - the film spends so much time on world-building that there's not a lot of room for action or humor. 

Based on what we've seen in the Infinity War trailers, I think Wakanda will play a pivotal role, which made the world-building necessary. Though they definitely could have done more to work Wakanda culture/background into the earlier films, especially Age of Ultron.

Black Panther

Man... Okay, overall the film is great.  I love all the characters and each actor did a superb job.  My favorite character is the younger sister (caveat below) - hah hah, I just love her spunk!

But what bothered me about the movie is that Black Panther (T'Challa) became "lesser" in my eyes.  I don't know but he just seemed weak here.  It got so bad that I started cheering for his cousin!  Okay, here's the caveat of my favorite character.  The cousin - Killmonger - is actually my favorite character in this movie.  I don't know if it's because I just empathized with him more or because he was so very well acted and portrayed that the actor managed to  suck me into his side.  Yes yes, his ideology is warped but I can empathize with how he got to be that way so much so that I got mad that the movie did not give him a redemption story.  Towards the end of the movie, I started to want him to get a life-changing moment with the help of T'Challa and the breath-taking world of Wakanda and become the Black Panther.

Okay, so yes, a very confusing movie for me as far as relatability goes.  I'm going to watch it again and see if I get a bit more clarity on why I wanted the bad guy to win this time...

Samson

I loved this movie!  The best part is all the inspring Christian movies parading in the trailers!  I didn’t realize there were so many of them.  I saw Dennis Quaid has another Christian movie coming up.  Jim Caviezel has another Bible Story movie coming up too.  And there were many others!

Let’s support these movies so Hollywood makes more of them!

6 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

How was this movie?

I absolutely loved it.  So much so I bought the dvd to add to my movie collection.  I had read the book before seeing the movie and the movie didn't disappoint at all.

7 hours ago, pam said:

I absolutely loved it.  So much so I bought the dvd to add to my movie collection.  I had read the book before seeing the movie and the movie didn't disappoint at all.

I didn't know that it was based on a book.  I tend to be a bit sticky on what I watch (my wife even moreso), trying to avoid certain aspects of movies (Swearing, violence, and other such things).  The Movie appears to be something that is watcheable, and looked to have an interesting plot and premise (and perhaps even a morally uplifting message).  I've been interested in watching it, but have not yet taken the plunge.

Now that I know it is based on a book, that could be a good thing to read first.

Thanks

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I didn't know that it was based on a book.  I tend to be a bit sticky on what I watch (my wife even moreso), trying to avoid certain aspects of movies (Swearing, violence, and other such things).  The Movie appears to be something that is watcheable, and looked to have an interesting plot and premise (and perhaps even a morally uplifting message).  I've been interested in watching it, but have not yet taken the plunge.

Now that I know it is based on a book, that could be a good thing to read first.

Thanks

You'll find none of what you mentioned in the movie.  It's a good down to earth movie about judging people by looks and then finding out that person isn't so bad once you get to know them.  I highly recommend the movie.

I've had the flu for the past week, and it really knocked me down. I missed quite a bit of work. Sometime in the miasma of coughing, not sleeping even though I was dead tired, being crotchety on MormonHub, and basically being miserable, I rewatched two '90s movies.

• Men in Black: Just as clever and well-made as I remembered, but much more profane. I had not recalled the large amount of bad language. I probably will not be watching it again.
  • Apollo 13: I watched an old NASA documentary about Apollo 13 on YouTube, so I decided to rewatch the 1995 (I think) Tom Hanks film. I enjoyed it, but as I suspected, the film was Hollywooded up to a high degree. I thought it kind of detracted from the story and the depiction of courage, but whatever. I remember being very impressed by the CGI; 20+ years later, it's maybe not so impressive, but it holds up just fine. All in all, I could be talked into watching this movie again some time.

7 hours ago, Vort said:

I've had the flu for the past week, and it really knocked me down. I missed quite a bit of work. Sometime in the miasma of coughing, not sleeping even though I was dead tired, being crotchety on MormonHub, and basically being miserable, I rewatched two '90s movies.

• Men in Black: Just as clever and well-made as I remembered, but much more profane. I had not recalled the large amount of bad language. I probably will not be watching it again.
  • Apollo 13: I watched an old NASA documentary about Apollo 13 on YouTube, so I decided to rewatch the 1995 (I think) Tom Hanks film. I enjoyed it, but as I suspected, the film was Hollywooded up to a high degree. I thought it kind of detracted from the story and the depiction of courage, but whatever. I remember being very impressed by the CGI; 20+ years later, it's maybe not so impressive, but it holds up just fine. All in all, I could be talked into watching this movie again some time.

Great movies to watch anytime but especially when ill. Hope you feel better. Hugs!

The Light Between Oceans.

I was crying in this movie.  Fassy, once again, sucked me into this movie like he did with Jane Eyre.  And that new Lara Croft girl... I thought she seemed a bit too young to be Fassy's wife in this movie, like she's a teen-ager and Fassy a middle-aged man.  But then that's the same with Jane Eyre too.  What's with these Fassy movies, man?  Anyway, the story was quite a big pickle they got themselves into and it was acted so well that it made me wonder if I would be able to do the right thing if put in that scenario.  The movie started off very slow especially as I haven't read the book (although I have it on my tablet) so I didn't know what to expect with the story.

The Incredible Mr. Limpit

Oh my goodness gracious batman.  I watched this movie with the kids and we were laughing so hard (okay, it's not supposed to be funny) because of the ridiculousness of it... a guy became a fish and won World War II.  Hah hah.  It was just weird how there's this guy who was spending every Friday with his wife... and then he becomes a fish and meets a lady fish and so he left his wife... it was a stupid story.  But yeah, the simplicity of movies in the old days is refreshing.

Disney's "A Wrinkle In Time". 

Imagine that it's Christmas morning. You see a big, shiny, prominent present sitting right under the tree, and it has your name on it. 

Inside the box you find a dead possum. 

As someone who's actually read the book, that's what this film felt like for me. 

55 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Disney's "A Wrinkle In Time". 

Imagine that it's Christmas morning. You see a big, shiny, prominent present sitting right under the tree, and it has your name on it. 

Inside the box you find a dead possum. 

As someone who's actually read the book, that's what this film felt like for me. 

Very, very sorry to hear it, but not even a little bit surprised.