What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

42 minutes ago, FunkyTown said:

Jordan Peterson is good. I'm a bit more data driven than him while he tends to concentrate on Jungian archetypes, but we agree on the badness of identity politics.

In fact, one of the feedbacks I got on an essay I wrote for a class "Inequality in Education: A study in gender, race and ethnicity" was "If you're going to call the topic of the module garbage and attack the beliefs of the professor who will be marking you, it's generally better to do that in the last paragraph than the first paragraph".

Check out the essay(With apologies for the few minor referencing issues I had. It's an old copy on here).

ClassGenderRaceEducation.docx

Ohhh... what grade did you get?

Well, if you're still in school that means the teacher didn't kick you out.  That's a good sign. ;)

Hi Funky!  Welcome back!

For movies, I saw "Ready Player One" last night.  Dang - I didn't expect to have my whole childhood validated.  It's like they made a movie about how cool I was, just for me.   I played Adventure in 1980.  I wandered that maze.  I found that dot.  The name Warren Robinett was there in my subconscious - I remember idolizing that name.   Black and white TV on a TV tray in the kitchen.  Wow. 

*sniff*

http://www.warrenrobinett.com/ecv/adv_vid1/index.html

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Ohhh... what grade did you get?

Well, if you're still in school that means the teacher didn't kick you out.  That's a good sign. ;)

Hahah! I got 30%. Which put me at 80%, 92%, 88% and 30%.

However, all I did was just challenged the grade and it got sent to somebody who doesn't like Identity Politics: Ruth Mieschbuhler at the University of Derby.

She actually is in the middle of a massive fight with Birmingham university over this very thing.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hi Funky!  Welcome back!

For movies, I saw "Ready Player One" last night.  Dang - I didn't expect to have my whole childhood validated.  It's like they made a movie about how cool I was, just for me.   I played Adventure in 1980.  I wandered that maze.  I found that dot.  The name Warren Robinett was there in my subconscious - I remember idolizing that name.   Black and white TV on a TV tray in the kitchen.  Wow. 

*sniff*

http://www.warrenrobinett.com/ecv/adv_vid1/index.html

Best.  Movie.  of the Year.

Black Panther.

I'm a huge Marvel fan, but I HATED this movie.  The plot and villain were horrible 1D and... just inconsistent with itself.  Now the world building and other characters rocked.  So the first 30 minutes was great, before the plot actually starts.  I know other folks loved this movie, especially the villain, so I was surprised.    

The Star Wars Holiday Special -> Could have been a good hour-long drama, but they made it a 90-minute variety show

Jurassic World: The Lost Kingdom -> I think it's time for the franchise to go extinct now. 

Did a double feature this time which shocked everybody (Filipinos are movie goers but the price of a ticket compared to the median income makes two movies on one day - especially when you offered to pay for a group of friends - a rarity).

Ocean's 8
Blah.  Tired storylines.  Adding one character at the very tail end of the movie made it an Ocean's 8 instead of the Ocean's 7 that they've been yapping about all movie.  Then adding ANOTHER character after that didn't make it an Ocean's 9... because it would have been 8 girls and 1 guy?  Lame.  I have to say, Cate Blanchet is good at her acting job.  Even with this simple role she played.

Incredibles 2
Awesome.  I was kinda getting tired of Jackjack but then I thought... whasa meesa saying?  I love Jackjack!

• 2 weeks later...

Incredibles 2
This was definitely more fun the 2nd time around.

Ant-man and the Wasp
Yes, this is a small movie inside the ginormous Marvel universe but, you know what, that's why this movie works, in my opinion!  I think these fun, simple plots - even as they delve into quantum physics that went whoosh over my head (and for which @Vort, I'm sure would shoot down in 5 seconds) - are a great and smart addition to those who just love superhero stuff.  Oh, and it's fine that quantum anything went whoosh over my head because... it also went whoosh over Ant-man's head, so yeah, that was great.

Incredibles II

Swearing and profanity was completely unnecessary (though my wife and 12-year-old both claim not to have heard any, or much). I guess I never actually was aware of the leftists voicing the characters. But then again, maybe that's irrelevant.

No, it was not as good as the first. That would have been impossible. It was better than I thought it would be, solid entertainment with just a slight edge of cynicism. I thought they were going to make some stupid political and/or social statement, but I did not detect any. So either I'm stupid or they're innocent (or verrry clever). Maybe all three.

Kudos to Pixar on yet another home run -- though not exactly out of the park, more like just clearing the center field wall. Still counts for four bases.

We Love You, Sally Carmichael

What put this above the usual light-hearted silly movie of its type for me was that it stars two non-Mormon actors who I liked in other projects and depicts a Mormon character as a normal person.

Guest Godless

Saw Ant-Man/Wasp yesterday. Very enjoyable movie with a (possibly) major bombshell teaser for Avengers 4 in the mid-credits scene. I know fans of the comics have lamented Ant-Man and Wasp's exclusion from earlier Avengers storylines, but it seems their role in the MCU may increase significantly in upcoming movies.  

*Mission Impossible - Fallout

A good action movie in its own right, but it's two and a half hours long and relies heavily on previous movies, so your mileage may vary. 

*Heavy Metal Parking Lot 

1986 documentary in which two people went to a Judas Priest concert to interview people. Has the feel of a TV news special, but there is a *lot* of cursing and every other scene has people with a can of Budweiser. 

Mission Impossible

It would have been a great movie if they didn't do Impossible things like look for 2 nukes, chase after the bad guy, hijack a helicopter to continue chasing the bad guy, climb up the rope to get to the choppa, fall down, climb up again, do a helicopter chase, crash, do a fist fight... all in 15 minutes.  2 hours would still have been Impossible and wouldn't be laugh-out-loud stupid.

Equalizer 2 - rated R

It's better than the Equalizer 1.  A bit slow paced but moved faster than the first movie.  I like the preaching about individual choices and not blaming one's lot on the absent father, the bad neighborhood, the white man, etc. etc., but I can see how somebody who doesn't agree with it would find it preachy.  Overall good.  Rated R for violence and language.