What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

56 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

The Last Jedi.

Rating: B.  Amusing enough to serve as entertainment on a night with good company.  It wasn't a waste of my time, but no desire to see it again. 

The fun in the Last Jedi for me and my dad was in making fun of it.

3 hours ago, Ironhold said:

It's in an odd middle area. Adults may find it too simplistic, while kids may not get what's going on. 

I just saw it. I see what you mean. Great costumes, locations and technical effects. The people that I went with hated it! I liked it but not for adults who dislike kid movies. 

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I just saw it. I see what you mean. Great costumes, locations and technical effects. The people that I went with hated it! I liked it but not for adults who dislike kid movies. 

I think that with some better creative choices they could have kept more of the whimsy. 

I honestly spent half the time I was doing the review up wondering what Don Bluth could have done with the premise. 

Guest MormonGator

The Patrick Stewart version of Macbeth. Stewart is much too nice to be such an evil character, in particular in the beginning. Could not get into it.

Darkest Minds

I have not read the book.  The movie sucked.  It has a great premise - the usual apocalyptic teen romance where the characters are special with special powers and they end up without parents and have to fight The Man for their survival.  Good choice of starring kids, bad script, bad directing.  I get it, it's meant to be a series but this movie sucks so bad as a prequel that you basically sit through 90-minutes of plot lines like spaghetti noodles hanging off a sieve.  And there's no chemistry in the teen romance department which this movie spent a lot of time on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alpha

Super loved this movie.  My husband thinks it's not worth taking the kids to see it - they can wait for the Netflix.  I disagree vehemently. 

This movie is a different take on the Pet Dog movies like Homeward Bound, et. al.  It's a tale about how a wolf became the very first pet dog in human existence.  The entire movie is in some language - most likely fictional - so you're gonna need to read the conversation off the subtitles but most of the movie is spent on one young man, Keda, and a wolf he named Alpha and so there's not much dialogue there.  Keda is very well portrayed, I think.  He carried the movie very very well.  The story is very simple but it was presented beautifully.  There's some parts of the movie where they show a bird's eye view of the terrain and I feel these beautiful shots were too jarringly placed in the movie instead of smoothly transitioned into but other than that, everything is awesome.

Kin

WHAT A WASTE OF A GOOD CONCEPT.  Just to tell you how bad it is... I am very tolerant of bad movies - I mean, I'm probably the only one in the planet that actually LIKED Jarjar Binks - but this movie is so bad I was so happy that I felt the beginnings of needing to empty my bladder.  I mean, I could probably have waited 4 more hours to go to the restroom but, why wait?  I needed just a little bit of reason to overcome my reluctance to disturb the audience and block their view of the screen.

So, they spent what seemed like half of the movie (because that's how much that scene dragged for its uselessness) having this guy take his 14-year-old brother into a strip club.  PG13 but still super eeeky with bikini clad gyrating dancers.

Anyway, the meat of the show - which they left most of the backstory of for some sequel I guess because it wasn't touched on in this movie, I mean it is so sparse that we don't even know if these people are aliens from another planet or mutants or whatever they are - is touched on for only about 5 minutes in the entire movie and the space ray gun was super cool but we only really see 5 minutes of it and the 3 minutes were spent with it blasting people to pieces - which is stupid stupid stupid stupid for a PG13 movie.

I'm gonna see if Ivan Ortega can go fix this movie and do a 25-minute more palatable story out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

GO WATCH SEARCHING!!!!

It’s a super awesome movie and it’s been out for a while so might not last too long at the big screen.

I wasn’t interested in this at first because it seemed gimmicky with the movie-through-Apple-devices point of view (you’re watching the entire movie unfold in connected Apple devices - so yea, has to be Apple to take advantage of the seamless connectivity, e.g. receiving text notifications sent to the phone on the computer, distinguishing blue text messages from green text messages, etc.)...

But manoman I was surprised.  This was a very well executed whodunnit movie that had me sitting on the edge of my seat.  My husband was shhhing me as I couldn’t help but exclaim - check fish-n-chips!, etc.  No problem though because I wasn’t the only one driven to such exclamations.

Anyway, put Searching on your list of must-sees.

54 minutes ago, goor_de said:

for me, there are three filmmakers that i like to see again and again
the time machine
The count of monte christi

and
Dance of the Vampires

Which versions?  Time machine - 1960?  I didn't like the 2002 version.  I like the 1960 version better.

The Count of Monte Cristo - The 2002 version is one of my all-time favorites (interestingly with the same actor as the 2002 version of The Time Machine).

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Which versions?  Time machine - 1960?  I didn't like the 2002 version.  I like the 1960 version better.

favorites (interestingly with the same actor as the 2002 version of The Time Machine).

die erste,ja The Count of Monte Cristo - The 2002 version is one of my all-time