What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

24 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Malevolent...gave it up, it was boring.

Hostage...decent Bruce Willis movie.

The Cloverfield Paradox...not bad, though it would have been better if they hadn't tied it to the Coverfield storyline.

The Rain...stupid, gave up watching it pretty quickly.

I saw a trailer for Overlord.  Soldiers in a horror story... I thought of mirkwood immediately.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I saw a trailer for Overlord.  Soldiers in a horror story... I thought of mirkwood immediately.

Early reports have gone back and forth as to whether or not Overlord is somehow part of the Cloverfield franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Barrett Maximus said:
8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

First Man

Hated this movie.  It's like the cameraman went to years of film school to learn how to shoot scenes like a 6-year-old.

I loved it, although my wife thought it was boring

Amy Teitel didn't like it, and I like Amy Teitel, so I'm not all that amped to see it. I might watch it if it comes out on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wfXICKd_TY

2 hours ago, Vort said:

Amy Teitel didn't like it, and I like Amy Teitel, so I'm not all that amped to see it. I might watch it if it comes out on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wfXICKd_TY

The seasickness thing is what I got.  And no, it's not just the shaky thing when they're in the rocket, which is acceptable because... it's a rocket... but even the regular house shots - like for example, Mr and Mrs Armstrong are talking and the camera is shaking with super close-up shots such that the entire face doesn't even fit in the screen... you get only from the eyes to the chin... and it's shaking.  Like I said, like a 6-year-old was taking a home video.   I became seasick within the first 10 minutes.  It wasn't worth watching the entire thing especially since I'm already very familiar with the life of Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins and the Gemini and Apollo missions.  It's kinda weird that Aldrin was not what I know Aldrin is and Collins didn't get much attention and we only learn his name because it's on his suit.

Edited by anatess2

26 minutes ago, Maureen said:

I recently watched Tom Cruise's The Mummy. It was action packed. I liked it.

I don't get the hate Tom Cruise garners. In the genre of SF-ish action adventure, he pretty much sets the bar. His movie choices tend to be quite strong, and he's a strong actor. For some reason, he's become a popular target for haters. Whatever. I can easily come up with three dozen actors eminently more hateable than Tom Cruise.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

I don't get the hate Tom Cruise garners. In the genre of SF-ish action adventure, he pretty much sets the bar. His movie choices tend to be quite strong, and he's a strong actor. For some reason, he's become a popular target for haters. Whatever. I can easily come up with three dozen actors eminently more hateable than Tom Cruise.

I think as an actor he typically produces very enjoyable movies. As a regular human being, people question his choice in advocating for Scientology.

M.

Edited by Maureen

6 hours ago, Maureen said:

I think as an actor he typically produces very enjoyable movies. As a regular human being, people question his choice in advocating for Scientology.

I think you're right. As a member of a religion viewed by many as marginal and cultish, I tend to sympathize in such cases with the religious person over his detractors.

(Cue @zil's comic on religious people driving around in de tractors.)

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

I think you're right. As a member of a religion viewed by many as marginal and cultish, I tend to sympathize in such cases with the religious person over his detractors.

(Cue @zil's comic on religious people driving around in de tractors.)

Zil doesn't read this thread.  In addition to the pagination being wrong (thus clicking on the notification, or on the "new posts" link always takes me to the second-to-last page), I never watch movies, and haven't for over a decade, so I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

(But if I didn't have a headache and tons of work to do, I might draw some nuns - nope, no black ink - some religious types on a tractor.  Maybe when I get home - I have black ink there in a disposable FP.  Maybe by then I'll have figured out what a "de" tractor is.  Hmm.  Maybe it's the nun's order: Sister Mary Martha de Tractore Sante.)

5 hours ago, zil said:

Zil doesn't read this thread.  In addition to the pagination being wrong (thus clicking on the notification, or on the "new posts" link always takes me to the second-to-last page)...

Yes, this thread is messed up, it does that to me too.

I never watch movies, and haven't for over a decade, so I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Why do you not watch movies?

M.

10 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Why do you not watch movies?

I just can't imagine there being a movie worth all the effort.  I don't do things which expose me to ads about movies, so I don't even know they exist - would have to go looking for them, and I can't imagine that being worth the effort either.  My brain appears to be perfectly content generating its own amusement, or getting it from books.

4 hours ago, zil said:

I just can't imagine there being a movie worth all the effort.  I don't do things which expose me to ads about movies, so I don't even know they exist - would have to go looking for them, and I can't imagine that being worth the effort either.  My brain appears to be perfectly content generating its own amusement, or getting it from books.

But there will be a Mary Poppins movie out at Xmas! 

1 hour ago, zil said:

There's already a Mary Poppins movie, and I'm terminally skeptical that someone is going to outdo Julie Andrews.

😢 But why do we have to forgo watching a movie just because it is inferior to the best of all possible movies? The new version may be better in some aspects,. This Mary seems to be tart and thus more like the book version! 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, zil said:

You don't.  I don't; I simply choose to.  I have no problem with people who like movies, I'm just not one of them.

When I visit Utah, you're going with me to the movies.  Lots of movies with fountain pens.  Like The Light Between Oceans.  ;)

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

When I visit Utah, you're going with me to the movies.  Lots of movies with fountain pens.  Like The Light Between Oceans.  ;)

A) you'd best come soon.  I only plan to stay in Utah for about another year.

B) you're buying because I won't have a job and I'm not wasting money on ridiculous movie-theater prices. :)

13 minutes ago, zil said:

A) you'd best come soon.  I only plan to stay in Utah for about another year.

B) you're buying because I won't have a job and I'm not wasting money on ridiculous movie-theater prices. :)

I thought you're going to go to school in Provo!  Doesn't that last more than a year?

My treat, of course.  I'll even spring for popcorn and a drink.  I'll put aside the money now so I won't have to worry if I lose my job :)

I was looking at this property in Hobble Creek Canyon in Springville until I realized it says "accessible by snowmobile in the winter"... which made me think it's not accessible any other way!  What a funny property that is... only livable half the year.  No wonder it was cheap!