What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Just finished watching The Greatest Showman which I purchased sight-unseen based on many recommendations.

REGRET.

I didn't, per se, "hate" it. I just hated it. Well...no. Just didn't like it much.

The music was too pop. Bleh. Not right for the show. And even then...not that great. Not horrible. But not great. The orchestrations were garbage though. Different orchestrations that were less "pop" would have improved things, but even then...the songs just weren't that great. Okay. But not great.

As for the show itself...meh. Okay. Could have been way stronger. And I really despised the leftist out-n-proud freaks message.

But for a few nice moments I wouldn't have liked the movie at all.

Overall C-.

Pacific Rim sequel.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!  Ok, so I grew up on Voltes V so this movie holds a special resonance on me.

Ok, so if you ask me if this is better than the first one I wouldn’t be able to answer.  I like the first movie’s storyline better but I super love the Jaeger vs Kaiju scenes on this one.  The only disappointment was that Sons of Anarchy guy was not in this movie, not even a glimpse!  I love that guy’s character and they made sure he survived the first movie so I don’t know why they couldn’t put him in this one.

Edited by anatess2

27 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Just finished watching The Greatest Showman which I purchased sight-unseen based on many recommendations.

Watched it with the wife and kids last night.  We all really liked it, however, my first thought in almost every musical number was, 'Music back then would never have been anything like this!'  (pretty sure I thought that about most of Phantom of the Opera as well - however, that music actually 'fits' for the most part)  That said, I actually enjoyed the music itself because I enjoy that style, and that basically made the movie good to me.  Agree on the leftist message.

The number one most annoying thing to me was that I came out of this viewing it as a work of historical fiction.  Although based on the real PT Barnum, the majority of what made the movie interesting was fictitious.  Reminds me of how the real life Michael Oher, depicted in the movie 'The Blind Side", hates the movie, views it as inaccurate, and claims that it ruined his NFL career because of how people treat him different based on incorrect assumptions and information they got from the movie.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

REGRET.

I didn't, per se, "hate" it. I just hated it. Well...no. Just didn't like it much.

The music was too pop. Bleh. Not right for the show. And even then...not that great. Not horrible. But not great. The orchestrations were garbage though. Different orchestrations that were less "pop" would have improved things, but even then...the songs just weren't that great. Okay. But not great.

As for the show itself...meh. Okay. Could have been way stronger. And I really despised the leftist out-n-proud freaks message.

But for a few nice moments I wouldn't have liked the movie at all.

Overall C-.

Ah yes.  My wife was watching that the other night.  I bailed as soon as I learned it was a musical.  There is only one musical that I am willing to watch, and that is Bride and Prejudice, and even then I am only interested while they are singing bhangra in the first half of the movie.

7 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Ah yes.  My wife was watching that the other night.  I bailed as soon as I learned it was a musical.  There is only one musical that I am willing to watch, and that is Bride and Prejudice, and even then I am only interested while they are singing bhangra in the first half of the movie.

I tend to love musicals. If they're executed well. Movie musicals, for some reason, are never executed well anymore. 

8 hours ago, person0 said:

Watched it with the wife and kids last night.  We all really liked it, however, my first thought in almost every musical number was, 'Music back then would never have been anything like this!'  (pretty sure I thought that about most of Phantom of the Opera as well - however, that music actually 'fits' for the most part)  That said, I actually enjoyed the music itself because I enjoy that style, and that basically made the movie good to me.  Agree on the leftist message.

The number one most annoying thing to me was that I came out of this viewing it as a work of historical fiction.  Although based on the real PT Barnum, the majority of what made the movie interesting was fictitious.  Reminds me of how the real life Michael Oher, depicted in the movie 'The Blind Side", hates the movie, views it as inaccurate, and claims that it ruined his NFL career because of how people treat him different based on incorrect assumptions and information they got from the movie.

If one is to judge musicals on whether the music was 'like that back then', then one would, for the most part,  dislike all musicals.

And another complaint on The Greatest Showman... Why in the name of PT Barnum did they not name the partner character Bailey? 

Seriously! There must have been some legal hang up or something or else they were just being stupid. 

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

If one is to judge musicals on whether the music was 'like that back then', then one would, for the most part,  dislike all musicals.

The only time it bothered me during this particular film was during Jenny Lind's number.  I thought that song definitely would have made more sense in the film as a period piece, or with more period elements.  I also thought the actress did a sucky job portraying how Jenny Lind would likely have stood and moved and performed, but that is probably the director's fault.

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Why in the name of PT Barnum did they not name the partner character Bailey?

I'd bet it's also partially because they wanted to introduce the interracial marriage element, and they couldn't get away with doing that with a Bailey character.

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

"To Sir, With Love"

Sidney Poitier brings his best to the role, but you can tell that the film ran into a number of difficulties during production. 

While I believe Poitier's performance was fully deserving of accolades, I hold this movie up as the quintessential example of why movies are never as good as the books.  Back in the day when screenwriters tried to stay true to the book, they fell victim to the time constraints of movies.  Too much was rushed and too much was cut to really get the feel of the book.

One exception was Gregory Peck's To Kill a Mockingbird.  I thought the book was bone dry boring.  But I loved the movie.

Today, screenwriters are free to make their own interpretations and changes to get a screenplay just right.  Did you see Caviezel's  Count of Monte Cristo?  I LOVED the book.  But I thought the movie was FANTASTIC.  Chamberlain's Count was decent.  But it just lost a lot in the switch to the screen.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Even better the 2nd time around because I can just relax and watch the jaegers fight without needing to worry about tracking the dialogue.  

Wikipedia tells me that a jaeger is a small sea bird.

220px-Stercorarius_pomarinusPCCA20070623

Watching jaegers fight sounds downright thrilling. You know, all the diving and cawing and excrement-dumping. Who wouldn't love it?

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

Wikipedia tells me that a jaeger is a small sea bird.

220px-Stercorarius_pomarinusPCCA20070623

Watching jaegers fight sounds downright thrilling. You know, all the diving and cawing and excrement-dumping. Who wouldn't love it?

This is the heart of the movie right here...

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Ready Player One.

I’m impressed at the number of 80’s references that my kids recognized!  We all loved this movie.  A little cheesy on the romance aspect but great overall.

As someone who *lives* retro gaming and retro pop culture, the film just left me cold. 

It tried way too hard, and for minimal results compared to other similar films. 

Watching "Serenity" right now, as part of my personal March Madness, wherein I watch all of Firefly and Serenity while everyone else is watching sportsball. A rather quotable movie (and series) that I have to be cautious about quoting, as it's easy to misinterpret (or miss)the fact that I'm just quoting something rather than stating my own opinion. 

For instance, when a missionary asks, "Can we leave you with a word of prayer?" the response might not necessarily be, "Only if you say it out loud."  Thankfully, the one time that slipped out, at least one of the elders caught the reference to the show's pilot episode.  Although, we definitely had to explain it to his companion and their chaperone.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

I only wish that when WW head butted him he hadn't been moved quite so much. More like only as much movement as Capn America moved Thor's hammer when he tried to lift it. Like an implication of something...but...no. I hated in B v S how he kept ducking at stuff. Like when the machine guns shoot at him, he holds up his arms and ducks. COME ON! It's SUPERMAN. Bullets bounce off his EYEBALL. Why is he ducking?

Two things:

Superman ducks because as part of his Clark Kent disguise, he's had to train himself to act like a human.  So, he needs to be "shocked" that someone is shooting at him.  He needs to blink when an object is coming near his eye.  He needs to duck/jump when an object goes near his body.

In the comics, WW is very nearly as strong and as invulnerable as Supes.  Batman once made the comment that if she ever went rogue, the only defense earth would have would be Superman.  But even then it might be an even fight because even though WW is not quite as strong as Superman, she is also the greatest melee fighter on the planet (and that would include Batman himself).

So, yes, if WW hit Superman, he would definitely feel it.

So, I finally saw Ragnarok.  I had two reactions.

1) Because it was so different from the other two movies, I really had to shift my outlook.  That was difficult. But it was a good thing I saw the trailers -- which did a very good job of giving the viewer an idea of what the movie was going to be like.

2) Looking at it from a new perspective -- that this was not the Thor we're used to -- I really enjoyed the movie.  The producers and director really had fun with it.  It was much more light-hearted than previous MCU portryals (or comic portrayals for that matter) of Thor.

Downside was that the plot was rather predictable since they pretty much laid everything out for you from the beginning.  There's foreshadowing and there's blatant predictability.  I knew what was going to happen with Surtur because they laid it out so clearly and sequentially.  If they provided the facts in just a little more convoluted sequence, and a little less exposition...

I was somewhat surprised at certain aspects of the "Big Fight".  But I pretty much saw the ending because... tyrants.

The upside was the characters.  I loved all the characters.  I loved how people had credible reasons for change.  And they did so in a credible manner.

23 hours ago, Ironhold said:

As someone who *lives* retro gaming and retro pop culture, the film just left me cold. 

It tried way too hard, and for minimal results compared to other similar films. 

Saw it again today.  Still great! :)

"Shawshank Redemption" with my mom.  It's a prison movie, so there's some violence, language, and a few sexual situations, but the deeper meaning of the film transcends those surface level issues for me.  It had been a while since I had seen it (and it was probably a tv version, anyway) so I had forgotten it's potential for inspiration.  Excellent themes of hope, persistence, and persistence in hope that I needed very much today.

Edited by seashmore

Rampage (2018)

It's a good popcorn flick, but it's not for kids. 

Among other things, it's a running gag that Dwayne Johnson's character once taught the gorilla how to make obscene hand gestures as part of the sign language training. 

Recently watched Moana (2018). Here's a link to what I said about it on another thread.

EDIT: TFP's response on that thread is worth reading, as much as or more than my brief review.

Edited by Vort