What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Uh, duh! Wasn't that obvious?

It was the way you presented yourself. Mirkwood thought it was a good action movie. You immediately say "No it isn't." Well maybe you didn't think so but he did. It wasn't even respecting his opinion at all. Maybe if you had said "It wasn't in my opinion." It just came across wrong.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Edited by pam

It was the way you presented yourself. Mirkwood thought it was a good action movie. You immediately say "No it isn't." Well maybe you didn't think so but he did. It wasn't even respecting his opinion at all. Maybe if you had said "It wasn't in my opinion." It just came across wrong.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

:confused::confused::confused:

This ENTIRE thread is about people's opinions on movies they just watched... There's no such thing as movie review FACT unless you're simply giving a plot outline.

Okay, this whole thing is confusing me... I would like to apologize but I have no clue what I'm apologizing for.

Simple Mirkwood offered an opinion about a movie. Such an opinion can't be wrong, but others can clearly have different takes on the same movie.

You come along and apparently try to communicate that you have a different opinion, you failed to do so (or failed to do just that). Instead you came across as saying Mirkwood's opinion was stupid (and by default anyone that had a different opinion is as well)

Simple Mirkwood offered an opinion about a movie. Such an opinion can't be wrong, but others can clearly have different takes on the same movie.

You come along and apparently try to communicate that you have a different opinion, you failed to do so (or failed to do just that). Instead you came across as saying Mirkwood's opinion was stupid (and by default anyone that had a different opinion is as well)

Okay. I apologize. I never intended to say Mirkwood's opinion is stupid. When I think it's stupid, I usually say, "That's stupid." But, yes, I can see how it can be easily misinterpreted especially when I try to sound "creative" in my writing...

Edited by anatess

Pacific Rim, again! Love this movie, big monsters and big robots, what's not to like!!

I've seen this in the theater half a dozen times and then again on DVD a jillion times. I am super loving this movie! Yes, yes, the director was too fearful of making the action shots in clear broad daylight... but I'll take it! It's super cool that somebody at least attempted the monsters versus robots movie and made it good!!! And... it's such a relief not to have that romantic thing between hero boy and hero girl.

The Heat.

Language is hardcore but the comedy is priceless. No sex and the violence is slapstick. If you're not easily offended by explicit language, it's pretty funny for an adult audience, but not appropriate for kids. Definitely NOT a family film :)

Pacific Rim, again! Love this movie, big monsters and big robots, what's not to like!!

Elbow rockets. I suspect I'm simply not the demographic of the movie, people who like anime that involves robots punching monsters with their fists. While I like the concept of robots verses monsters it had a certain Cartoon Network Anime feel to it, I think it was the rather clunky characterization, the idea that being a hand to hand 'ninja' corresponds to having a robot fling it's limbs about in combat, and the whole elbow rocks, container ships as bats, and "We've been getting our butt kicked for a while now, time to bust out the swords." aspects. It had a very, "I used to draw doodles of this kind of stuff on the back of my notebooks as a kid." feel to it. Which to be fair, for a lot of people may be the charm in it.

Like I said, I think it is primarily a demographic thing, I suspect my idea of a dream Battletech/Mechwarrior movie could have similar if not the same criticisms leveled against it.

Edited by Dravin

Elbow rockets. I suspect I'm simply not the demographic of the movie, people who like anime that involves robots punching monsters with their fists. While I like the concept of robots verses monsters it had a certain Cartoon Network Anime feel to it, I think it was the rather clunky characterization, the idea that being a hand to hand 'ninja' corresponds to having a robot fling it's limbs about in combat, and the whole elbow rocks, container ships as bats, and "We've been getting our but kicked for a while now, time to bust out the swords." aspects. It had a very, "I used to draw doodles of this kind of stuff on the back of my notebooks as a kid." feel to it. Which to be fair, for a lot of people may be the charm in it.

Like I said, I think it is primarily a demographic thing, I suspect my idea of a dream Battletech/Mechwarrior movie could have similar if not the same criticisms leveled against it.

YOU NAILED IT!!! That's exactly what is soooo awesome about the movie! I grew up with Voltes V, Mazinger Z, Danguard Ace, UFO Grandizer... all before Marcos banned it! Pacific Rim is like... reliving those days.... in a big-production "live" movie!!!

I can still sing all the lyrics to the

. LOL!!! I showed the volts-in sequence to my sons once to show how awesome it is and my sons were like... "that is the lamest thing ever, Mom". Hah hah...

We have tickets to see the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode at the theater next Monday. I'm just a little bit excited. :D

ME TOO!!!!

Only, now I have to find a babysitter. I had one all set up, but her daughter's gymnastics class got moved from Wednesday nights to Monday nights, and now she couldn't be at my house until 7pm, which is when the movie (almost half an hour away) starts. :(

Hidden

I recently rewatched Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, a movie I watched many years ago. I remembered the movie quite fondly, and had never understood why it didn't do so well in theaters. Twenty-five-ish years later, I think I understand.

The acting was really, um, not very good. Wilford Brimley was Wilford Brimley, and the guy who played the Korean master was actually very good. But -- I kind of hate to say this -- there is a very good reason Fred Ward didn't become a big star. His by-the-numbers acting really torpedoed the character. While parts of the movie were inspired, much of the writing was sloppy, and the movie sort of petered out to a predictable conclusion. Rather disappointing, and not at all as funny/clever/exciting as I remembered it. But at least now I know why it wasn't a big hit.

I recently rewatched Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins on YouTube. It's a movie I watched many years ago and that I remembered quite fondly. I had never understood why it didn't do so well in theaters. Twenty-five-ish years later, I think I understand.

The acting was really, um, not very good. Wilford Brimley was Wilford Brimley, and the guy who played the Korean master was actually very good. But -- I kind of hate to say this -- there is a very good reason Fred Ward didn't become a big star. His by-the-numbers acting really torpedoed the character. While parts of the movie were inspired, much of the writing was sloppy, and the movie sort of petered out to a predictable conclusion. Rather disappointing, and not at all as funny/clever/exciting as I remembered it. But at least now I know why it wasn't a big hit.

Edited by Vort

Rather disappointing, and not at all as funny/clever/exciting as I remembered it.

I always hate it when that happens. You have a movie you remember watching, possibly from your childhood, that you consider to be amazing and when you finally have an opportunity to watch it again you are left thinking, "Uh... I thought this was amazing?" Sometimes nostalgia can override the flaws, but sometimes the movie is just left forever tarnished. I'm kinda scared to watch the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies for this reason. They were the height of awesome when my age was in the single digits, I doubt they'd hold that charm for me today.

Last movie I watched was an old Cary Grant movie called Mr. Blandings Build His Dream House. It was okay. I doubt i'll ever watch it again. It was one of those frustrating movies where everything that could go wrong does go wrong. I guess it's supposed to make it ridiculous and funny. :shrug:

Last movie I watched was an old Cary Grant movie called Mr. Blandings Build His Dream House. It was okay. I doubt i'll ever watch it again. It was one of those frustrating movies where everything that could go wrong does go wrong. I guess it's supposed to make it ridiculous and funny. :shrug:

It's interesting to watch old comedies and see what people used to laugh at. Some of them, like Marx Brothers, are still pretty funny to us, while others fall flat. Also strange to watch old "thriller" movies that look so tame. A few are still pretty awesome, like Les Diaboliques and Psycho, but generally not so much.

Watching movies from the '70s, I'm mostly surprised at how boring they are. Lots of very slow dialogue -- not like the witty patter of many '40s movies, but long expositional dialogues -- and the pacing was s-l-o-w. Same with comparing old TV shows to today. Filthy language and suggestive dialogue aside, a lot of old TV was very bad TV (though some of it was very good, too).

Nothing new here, I suppose, just musings everyone has had and/or heard already.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic