What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 5/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, anatess2 said:

Little - This was hilarious.  It's like Big - except becoming Little instead of Big.

So I assume the movie did not feature a 12-year-old boy having an ongoing sexual relationship with a 28-year-old woman, and played for laughs at that?

53 minutes ago, Vort said:

So I assume the movie did not feature a 12-year-old boy having an ongoing sexual relationship with a 28-year-old woman, and played for laughs at that?

Nah. The story was more about her executive assistant.  But there is her boyfriend who thought she’s his girlfriend’s  secret daughter and how he tries to step up to be her father.  It’s quite endearing.

5 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Just saw The Longshot. No one else need bother. 

This is is a Public Service Announcement. 

My husband went with his friend for the press showing.  Told me the same thing so I never bothered to waste my A-list for it.

Edited by anatess2

Guest Godless

Our most recent stint with HBO Now just expired. Had it for Game of Thrones, but took the opportunity to see some new flicks with it.

Ocean's Eight - Meh. Mildly entertaining, but ultimately forgettable.

Crazy Rich Asians - This was my wife's pick, but we both really enjoyed it. Some terrific performances throughout.

Smallfoot - One of the better non-Disney or Dreamworks kids films to come out in a while. Highly recommended if you have wee ones.

Ready Player One - Very enjoyable. Great concept and the splattering of pop culture references was really neat. I particularly enjoyed the Shining sequence.

Guest Mores
On 5/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, unixknight said:

In every good Superman movie

Was there one?

Everyone points to Christopher Reeves.  And, sure it had great effects for the time.  And the storyline worked for the 70s (or 80s?).  But nothing about the movie has aged well.

20 minutes ago, Mores said:

Was there one?

Everyone points to Christopher Reeves.  And, sure it had great effects for the time.  And the storyline worked for the 70s (or 80s?).  But nothing about the movie has aged well.

Superman The Movie is the only Superman movie worth anything.  Yes, the Superman flies around the planet to bring time backwards is stupid but, it's Superman so I can suspend my disbelief through it.

I do love Superman Returns very very much but I think I'm in the small minority.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, Mores said:

Was there one?

Yeah the 1979 Suprman movie was pretty awesome.  If you're into long form video essays, I recommend Moviebob's "Really That Good" analysis of the film for why it worked so well.  I won't say it aged well, because it was a product of its time, but it does stand as an awesome film.

Dark Phoenix

Okay.  This was rated very poorly by critics.  But, I have learned not to put much stock on critic reviews.  This time though... I can kinda see their point.  This movie was... aaah... a mess.  But I still enjoyed this mess due to some good eye candy and good acting.  But, I came out of the movie not understanding what just happened.  I don't like what they did with Prof X and Magneto - Prof X was made to be stupid in this movie and Magneto practically useless.  It's a testament to the excellent acting skills of McAvoy and Fassy to be able to make those characters be likeable with that poorly written characterization.  Raven/Mystique was out of character (I guess they saved up on makeup costs by making her not adhere to her Mutant and Proud character) and she was made to deliver the stupidest line in the movie.  Great acting, still though, to be able to deliver the poorly written character convincingly.  Nightcrawler was the most disturbing out of character element - the devout Catholic got upset and started viciously killing... ok, so they're aliens but still.  That's nowhere near anything Nightcrawler would do.

There were several disjointed scenes - like you'd see aliens blasted out of an area and they pan to another fight sequence and they go back to the same area with aliens there fighting again.  These aliens were supposed to be on the brink of extinction but there seems to be an endless supply of them when they need them. 

The story line was confusing - there's Prof X versus Magneto again which is always a good thing in XMen movies and I enjoyed that particular battle (although there are things that were like, huh?  Like, why did you have to drag a subway train just to open a door, huh?) - but the change of heart of Magneto was too whiplashy.

So, what I enjoyed the most - Cyclops was awesome.  There's a scene where they're in the Blackbird and they wanted firepower to shoot at something so Cyclop's chair descended to the "weapons control room" reminiscent of the Millennium Falcon and blasted his eyes through the firing cannon.  Cyclop's fight scenes was also great - simple and effective controlled laser blasting.  Nightcrawler's powers were well utilized except for that out-of-character sequence.

And okay - Jean Grey.  She was awesome.  But I expected Jean to be more of a threat to the planet than how she was portrayed here.  It just seems like her conflicts are too small and her use of Dark Phoenix power too inconsequential.  In any case, I like her characterization.  She's a good vehicle for "Feminism" here.  She has the qualities more attributed to womanhood - the desire to nurture and protect family, going so far as to sacrifice herself which is very heroic.  The struggle between good and evil happening within her psychological makeup more so than physical threats.  The mental anguish over abandonment and hurting other people beyond her control.  These are all struggles that are very female and being able to overcome them by magnifying her good female traits is what it truly means to be feminist empowered.  Although Prof X had a big hand in her injustice, the writers did not make it feel like Prof X symbolizes all men.  It was a good choice to make Hank and Raven the ones to point this out to Prof X and not Jean herself.

So... ok, the terrible Feminist Cringe in the movie - Raven telling Prof X that women are always saving men around here so might as well call it the X-Women... This was so cringy and stupid because they just got back from a mission where Hank - a man - rebuilt the Blackbird within hours to withstand space flight, Nightcrawler, and Quicksilver saved an entire space crew while the women stayed in the Blackbird... and it wasn't until the end when the spaceship was about to explode that Prof X encouraged Jean to use her powers to save the last space crewman and ended up saving everybody.  That is WAAAAAAY not "women saving men around here".  That's - the only person who has the power to save everyone around here - saving everyone around here.  Stupid cringe line that didn't have to be uttered.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:13 AM, alexblok said:

Piano, about World War 2

You probably meant The Pianist.  Rated-R for violence (it's World War II after all).

The Piano - the movie that had Anna Paquin in her very first acting role and earned her an oscar at 11 years old... is Rated-R for full frontal nudity.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:52 AM, Mores said:

Was there one?

I would point out that no Superman comic book, movie, or TV series from before 1980 has aged well. Superman as originally envisioned is anachronistic, raising PC hackles the world over.

John Wick 3.  Again.  Rated-R for violence.

My husband got my mom to watch John Wick 1.  She wanted to see 2 so he showed that too.  And my mom can't wait for the streaming to watch 3, so we took her to the movies.  My mom loved the dog-fu scenes.

You might be wondering... your 80-year-old tiny Filipina woman likes bloody action movies?  Well, she let us watch Shaolin Temple when we were tiny kids so...

Men In Black International 

For a movie trying so hard to be SJW, they sure have no problem sexually objectifying Hemsworth.  So, why is Tessa Thompson not making noise about THAT? 

Movie was ok.  Hemsworth and Thompson have good chemistry.  Pawny was cute.  The two alien dudes were cool.  (Loved the dance scene).  And the story was serviceable.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:15 AM, anatess2 said:

Men In Black International 

For a movie trying so hard to be SJW, they sure have no problem sexually objectifying Hemsworth.  So, why is Tessa Thompson not making noise about THAT? 

Movie was ok.  Hemsworth and Thompson have good chemistry.  Pawny was cute.  The two alien dudes were cool.  (Loved the dance scene).  And the story was serviceable.

Modern-day "feminists" only get up in arms if a *woman* is being sexualized... especially if the woman is more attractive than they are to begin with. 

The whole "crabs in a bucket" bit? That's feminists with a woman who is attractive in the traditional sense (whether physically, emotionally, or otherwise). 

• 2 weeks later...

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I enjoyed it, fairly new to the kaiju genre. It was a romp, and the soundtrack is fantastic:

I want to see MIB International since I loved the first two. Getting kind of sick of the political messages being shoved my way via movies though. Guess I'll skip it and see Spiderman instead.

Edited by Eternum

11 hours ago, Eternum said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. I enjoyed it, fairly new to the kaiju genre. It was a romp, and the soundtrack is fantastic:

I want to see MIB International since I loved the first two. Getting kind of sick of the political messages being shoved my way via movies though. Guess I'll skip it and see Spiderman instead.

Check out Pacific Rim on streaming.

Guest Scott

Spiderman-Into the Spider Verse

I saw it on an airplane.  OK, but really weird.  Spider Ham?   I admit that bugged me a little, but the movie was still OK.

23 hours ago, Scott said:

Spiderman-Into the Spider Verse

I saw it on an airplane.  OK, but really weird.  Spider Ham?   I admit that bugged me a little, but the movie was still OK.

Spider-Ham hails from an alternate universe where everyone is a "funny animal" character like Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck. 

If memory serves, he's been hanging around since the 1980s. 

Guest Godless
4 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Spider-Ham hails from an alternate universe where everyone is a "funny animal" character like Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck. 

If memory serves, he's been hanging around since the 1980s. 

I loved Spiderverse (and so did my son). My understanding is that all of the alternate Spiderpeople (and pig) had all previously existed in the comics, including Miles.