What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I guess I'm almost a decade late to the party, but I finally watched The Book of Eli.   Totally surprising.  Post-apocalyptic zombie movie, except take out the zombies and add the King James version of the Bible and the world's last missionary.  

I really enjoyed that movie, and I can honestly say I was surprised by the twist.

Spiderman Far From Home.

They did Mysterio very very well.  I like Tom Holland.  It bothered me that they sexualized him - he's supposed to be 16 years old!  And a sexualized Aunt May is just disturbing.  But overall, the movie was good.  But I think I'm just done with the MCU. 

48 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Spiderman Far From Home.

They did Mysterio very very well.  I like Tom Holland.  It bothered me that they sexualized him - he's supposed to be 16 years old!  And a sexualized Aunt May is just disturbing.  But overall, the movie was good.  But I think I'm just done with the MCU. 

Question: There's been a lot in the news about the "trans" actor in it. Was that a thing in the movie? Was it referenced, etc?

I'm thinking I'm done with the MCU as well.

51 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Question: There's been a lot in the news about the "trans" actor in it. Was that a thing in the movie? Was it referenced, etc?

I'm thinking I'm done with the MCU as well.

Nope.  He's basically an "extra" in the film.  Just someone to fill up a class in a school trip.  He doesn't have dialogue nor was he talked about in the dialogue.  Didn't really even have a name mentioned in the movie.  You'd expect him to be "Classmate #3" or something on the end credits but, even as I sat through the credits to catch the end-credit scene, I didn't really read any of the credits so I don't know if he actually has an on screen name.

Saw "Captain Marvel" in a non-theater setting.  I am getting tired of superhero movies where the protagonists is as violent as the antagonists but only towards the perceived "bad guys".  I miss the old westerns where the good guy wore a white hat and was nice to everybody.

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

Saw "Captain Marvel" in a non-theater setting.  I am getting tired of superhero movies where the protagonists is as violent as the antagonists but only towards the perceived "bad guys".  I miss the old westerns where the good guy wore a white hat and was nice to everybody.

The Traveler

I saw an old Clint Eastwood movie.  I don't remember the title nor the story, all I remember is this very annoying soundtrack.  Couldn't tell you who the good guy or the bad guy is.  I guess Clint Eastwood is the good guy, but he sure killed a bunch of people.  Now that I'm thinking about it, that annoying soundtrack is playing in my head giving me a headache.

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

This one?

(By the way, I googled "that clint eastwood movie soundtrack that goes waa waa waa".)

Not that one.  I know that one.  And yes, I hate that one too.  But I hated that soundtrack from a stupid Marlboro commercial before I saw the movie - couldn't watch the entire movie too because that stupid soundtrack keeps on interrupting it!

There's another Clint Eastwood movie with the same exact style of waa waa waa soundtrack. 

12 hours ago, Vort said:

Pretty sure Sergio Leone used the same soundtrack for at least two or three of his movies.

Ahhh!  I googled Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood.  You're right.  It's that A Few Dollars More movie that I saw.  It's a different song.  Same style.  Annoying because it's sooo loud and interrupts the movie and they play it over and over and over that it's like water dripping on my forehead!

Edited by anatess2

On 7/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I guess I'm almost a decade late to the party, but I finally watched The Book of Eli.   Totally surprising.  Post-apocalyptic zombie movie, except take out the zombies and add the King James version of the Bible and the world's last missionary.  

Saw it when it came out...  bought the DVD....  still love it years later AND ironically (?) just quoted it and mentioned it to friends on a different board the day before yesterday!   LOL.

Last movie was last night (online)  "This Beautiful Fantastic" and oh... it was awesome.  The description doesn't sound all that intriguing at all but I took a chance and I loved it.  Absolutely loved it.  But... I like quirky characters so, there's that.  LOL.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:47 AM, Traveler said:

The Traveler

Do yourself a favor and don't watch the deleted scenes. 

One deleted scene makes her out to be a straight-up villain in her own movie. 

And yeah - Captain Marvel was awful, Spider-Man was bleh, and Endgame pretty much wrapped up everything important. If not for my being a movie reviewer I'd be done with the MCU as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Lion King

Ahhh... conflicted on this one.  It was great with all the National Geographic/Animal Planet feel to it but that feature of the film just can't hold up for all of 2 hours.  After a while, you start to miss the expressions of Simba and, especially, Pumba.  For example, the stampede was thrilling because of the music but I can't help but notice Mufasa and Scar running to rescue Simba just didn't match the urgency of the music.  There was no expressions or actions of fear and urgency... it was just 2 lions running in their usual heavy gait.  Add to that the voice actor of adult Simba juuuust doesn't quite make the expression needed by the role so you got voice and face expressions lacking.  Anyway, most people liked it even as I kinda wanted to like it but just couldn't get there.

One Upon a Time in Hollywood - rated R

I'm not a Tarantino fan.  At. All.  My husband is.  And my husband is especially interested in mobsters and serial killers so he can't pass up a story based on Charles Manson.  Anyway, this was a weird movie experience for me (I mean - Tarantino movies are weird but this is weird in a different way).  This is one of those very rare movies where I didn't like it while I was watching it and then liked it after I left the theater and thought about it.  Well, I liked it after my husband told me about Charles Manson and what actually happened in real life.  I can't explain it without giving the movie away but this movie would be best if you first know the real story behind Charles Manson's group of hippies going around hollywood killing celebrities, especially the story of Sharon Tate.

So, usually, when you think Tarantino, you think gore galore.  Surprisingly, this movie was very PG all the way until 10 minutes to the end of the movie when Tarantino let loose but even then, it's not even close to Kill Bill.  It was quite comical even.  There are a few fun action scenes, like when Brad Pitt beat up Bruce Lee (this was hilarious) but very very mild and the rest of the movie was talk and talk and such (really cool scenes with DiCaprio's character fighting from becoming a washed up actor) such that it felt boring.  It was also cool to see the real Sharon Tate shown through Margot Robbie (who is playing Tate) watching a movie with her in it.  

Super30

A bollywood movie about the life of the great mathematician and excellent teacher Anand Kumar and his first 30 students.  This movie was awesome.  If you don't particularly like bollywood (think weird combination of super serious drama that breaks into song and dance in the most inopportune moments) you'd probably get jolted out of the movie.  But, if you don't mind that then this movie is a really awesome movie, not just a really awesome bollywood movie.

15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Super30

A bollywood movie about the life of the great mathematician and excellent teacher Anand Kumar and his first 30 students.  This movie was awesome.  If you don't particularly like bollywood (think weird combination of super serious drama that breaks into song and dance in the most inopportune moments) you'd probably get jolted out of the movie.  But, if you don't mind that then this movie is a really awesome movie, not just a really awesome bollywood movie.

True story: For those 2AM feedings I would pop in a Rajnikanth movie to keep me and baby entertained.

Hobbs & Shaw

This was popcorn flick fun.  This is the kind of movie where you just let your brain rest and let your eyes do the enjoying because if you work your brain, it ruins the fun.  Idris Elba is my 2nd favorite actor after Fassy, but with this movie... man... I almost put him above Fassy.  I still might!  Anyway, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Stratham have good chemistry together even if their slapstick "peeing contest" lasted throughout the movie.  Other combination of actors would quickly have that schtick get old especially since it seems like nobody can get along in the entire cast.  And the few Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart scenes were great.  But what really made this movie is the car/motorcycle chase scenes.  Zoooeeemama!  So, this movie doesn't seem like it belongs to the Fast & Furious franchise.  It seems to belong more in the James Bond franchise.  But the car chases were definitely Fast & Furious.  I just looooooove so many things - like the McLaren and the motorcycle spinning under 2 opposing semi-trucks... man.  Just that scene alone is worth the price of the movie and the popcorn.  And there's a couple one-second scenes with Idris Elba's character mounting his motorcycle while it was spinning sideways on the pavement... I wanted so badly to rewind those scenes.  Anyway, like I said... don't get cerebral with this movie because then it wouldn't be a good movie.  :)

P.S.  There are so many extra scenes after the credit rolls such that if you don't want to miss any of it (they're all quite fun - including some deadpool reference by Reynolds) you're gonna need to sit through the entire credits until the screen goes dark in the very end.

Edited by anatess2

Just saw Lion King.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Only one VERY short scene where I felt the CGI failed.

Only major complaint was that they spent way too much time glorifying the lazy, slothful and selfish lifestyle of   “Hakuna Matata”, but gave almost no lip service to the lesson that was learned in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently watching the new live action Aladdin movie.  It sucks so bad, and I'm only 20 minutes in.  This is especially saddening to me because, the original Aladdin has always been one of my favorite Disney movies ever!  😭😭

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, person0 said:

I am currently watching the new live action Aladdin movie.  It sucks so bad, and I'm only 20 minutes in.  This is especially saddening to me because, the original Aladdin has always been one of my favorite Disney movies ever!  😭😭

"He's got a sword!"
"You idiot! We've all got swords!" 

That line still makes me laugh. 

Guarding Tess

This was free on Sony Crackle.  There are ads but not too much.

I cannot stand Nicholas Cage.  He's such a terrible actor - and no Oscar is gonna change that.  But Shirley Mclaine pulls this one off.  I actually enjoyed this even if it's got such a simple storyline with a very predictable ending.

Princess Mononoke

Found this on the $5 bin in Walmart.  It's an anime that got some big names like Minnie Driver and Claire Danes.  This movie was confusing.  Didn't quite get the motivations between the 2 forces and the tree god.

Dark Crystal

My husband made me watch this.  I'm not a big fan of puppet movies.  Fell asleep on this one.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, MormonGator said:

This is my new fave of all time!

I'm headed back to the theater now to watch it again! This deserves an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and Tony!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GIVE IT ALL THE AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but did you like the movie?