What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Onward

Pixar did it again.  It’s billed as a story about a kid wanting to spend one day with his dead father but this turned out more to he a story about 2 brothers and their awesome mother.  Maaaan.  My son and I were crying in the theater.  Hit us in the feelz especially with us missing my eldest out on a mission.

This will probably the best movie of the year for me although it’s too early to tell.  Alita Battle Angel ended up my favorite last year and that came out in January.  This movie had me at the edge of my seat.  The development of each character, even the side characters, was great.  The challenges faced by the brothers were perilous enough to make the story compelling but not so scary as to scare young children.  It was just right.  And the moral of the story was solid.  

Ok, so this is a Disney property now so they have to push their agenda.  It’s all in dialogue, easy to miss - a female cop mentioned her girlfriend raising their kid.  We rolled our eyes and went on with the movie.

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Onward

Pixar did it again.  It’s billed as a story about a kid wanting to spend one day with his dead father but this turned out more to he a story about 2 brothers and their awesome mother.

We also saw this one this weekend.

I thought it was pretty good, but I have to admit that it was the weirdest Disney Pixar movie that I have ever seen.   At least it was unpredictable, which is a good thing.    You never really did know what was going to happen from one moment to the next.

My son didn't go, but just for fun after the movie my daughter and I tried to explain the plot to my son.    Good luck trying to explain the plot to anyone who hasn't seen the movie.  

9 hours ago, Scott said:

We also saw this one this weekend.

I thought it was pretty good, but I have to admit that it was the weirdest Disney Pixar movie that I have ever seen.   At least it was unpredictable, which is a good thing.    You never really did know what was going to happen from one moment to the next.

My son didn't go, but just for fun after the movie my daughter and I tried to explain the plot to my son.    Good luck trying to explain the plot to anyone who hasn't seen the movie.  

Unpredictable?

I found it the most cliched thing I'd seen in months. 

My original plan for Friday was to get my taxes done, but my mom was desperate to see it and wouldn't stop until I agreed to go with her. This proved to be a big mistake, as once we were done seeing it she wouldn't stop until she was convinced I was going to give it an overwhelmingly positive review. 

I was planning on doing my taxes tomorrow now to compensate, but I have family wanting to come up so tomorrow will be spent cleaning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 12:33 AM, Fether said:

Watched an edited version of “The Accountant”

Absolutely incredible. Top ten fav movies for sure.

We sat down for this over the weekend.  One of the movies we actually own on streaming instead of just renting.  We sat down for Hacksaw Ridge the night before.  Another one of the movies we own.

Is it edited for MPAA rating?  I don't know how they would be able to do that.

43 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

We sat down for this over the weekend.  One of the movies we actually own on streaming instead of just renting.  We sat down for Hacksaw Ridge the night before.  Another one of the movies we own.

My buddy buys edited copies of R movies from some guy I’m SLC. We borrowed it from him. No noticeable editing that we found, he does a good job.

we watched Joker too, it was good.

16 hours ago, Fether said:

My buddy buys edited copies of R movies from some guy I’m SLC. We borrowed it from him. No noticeable editing that we found, he does a good job.

we watched Joker too, it was good.

The entire movie the Accountant was about the accountant's prowess at killing people and the psychological impact.  If you edit out the headshots, you're left with only half the movie.  If you edit out the psychological impact, there's no movie.

Joker is the same.  Joker is rated R, not only for the violence but also for the psychological impact - the movie IS the psychological impact, you can't edit it out.  Same as Shawshank Redemption.  And Joker has nudity that you didn't have to worry about in Accountant, presented in important parts of the movie - you edit it out, you lose context.

So, not really sure how that editing worked.

Edited by anatess2

41 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The entire movie the Accountant was about the accountant's prowess at killing people and the psychological impact.  If you edit out the headshots, you're left with only half the movie.  If you edit out the psychological impact, there's no movie.

Joker is the same.  Joker is rated R, not only for the violence but also for the psychological impact - the movie IS the psychological impact, you can't edit it out.  Same as Shawshank Redemption.  And Joker has nudity that you didn't have to worry about in Accountant, presented in important parts of the movie - you edit it out, you lose context.

So, not really sure how that editing worked.

The only things edited out were the swearing, explicit sexual content/nudity, and the extremely gruesome kills. The only noticeable edit I saw was Murrey"s murder in Joker, there was a very brief black flash covering the initial impact of the bullet. My wife didn't even notice it. The editing was very good and cleanly done. I didn't even know there was nudity in Joker prior to reading this, was it during the scene where Arthur is bathing his mother?

I felt I got a pretty full experience despite the editing, it was stuck in my head for a couple days. That being said, I do feel my life would have been better had I never seen the movie in the first place due to the negative feelings in placed in me.

• 3 months later...
Guest MormonGator

I just finished watching Shazam. I apologize to @mirkwood because I was talking to him while watching it and he's heard what I'm about to say, but it was 4 stars. I don't watch super hero movies because I'm obsessed with comics and I prefer my interpretation over that of anyone else, but Shazam was an exception and I'm so happy I watched it. It's sweet, adorable, and has a pro-family message. Strongly, strongly recommend it. 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, anatess2 said:

Late response to this...

I have not seen the movie...

People seem to find the movie Hacksaw Ridge inspiring and some cannot believe what it tells, but the real story is even more incredible!

In earning that medal of Honor, Desmond Doss not only saved many men, he did it while injured.  In addition, when he was taken by stretcher, he didn't make it back on that stretcher.  They came across another injured individual and Doss got off the stretcher to let them carry the other individual in.  Then, while helping an injured individual and while helping them, was shot in the shoulder.  If he had not been there the shot would have gone through the head of the person he was helping.  After that, he crawled (yes, crawled with a destroyed shoulder) to safety after 5 hours.

18 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I just finished watching Shazam. I apologize to @mirkwood because I was talking to him while watching it and he's heard what I'm about to say, but it was 4 stars. I don't watch super hero movies because I'm obsessed with comics and I prefer my interpretation over that of anyone else, but Shazam was an exception and I'm so happy I watched it. It's sweet, adorable, and has a pro-family message. Strongly, strongly recommend it. 

Full disclosure, MG is a huge Shaq fan so that's probably why he's raving.

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Full disclosure, MG is a huge Shaq fan so that's probably why he's raving.

LOL! I actually AM a big Shaq fan, so you are right on that one. He's one of my favorite athletes of all time. 

Well... theaters are still closed, which really sucks.  But we've been streaming a lot.

Extraction - loved this (rated R for violence).

Old Guard - overall didn't like it (rated R for violence).

Artemis Fowl - disappointing

My Spy - didn't like it

Charlie's Angels (with that Twilight girl) - it was so bad, my husband and I quit watching not even 30 minutes into it

"Hoppety Goes to Town"

No sex or violence. Just plenty of anthropomorphic bugs, none of whom ever get squashed despite a preponderance of rotoscoped human feet descending all around them. Having said that though, there's plenty of politically incorrect humour - like when Hoppety gets electrocuted and changes (inexplicably) into an Indian...sorry - "Native American"...doing a war dance.

I won't even mention the "blackface" jokes...

I believe in America it's called "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" - parodying the title of another movie called "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town". The problem is, if you didn't know that there was a movie called "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" you'd be totally confused, 'coz there's no character in Hoppety called "Mr. Bug". (Unless of course "Bug" is Hoppety's surname.)

I first saw it when I was about 10, and again when I was about 19 (when they were doing a season on Fleischer Brothers' animation - starting with Betty Boop*). Interesting titbit: Hoppety Goes to Town was the last project that Dave and Lou Fleischer worked on together. (Some have suggested that they never even spoke to each other again.) Which is a pity because their movies were getting better. Their first feature length movie (an adaptation of Gulliver's Travels) was nothing very special, but "Hoppety" was better. OK it's not up to the standard of Disney's animation of the time, but still better than their first effort. Who knows - if they'd gone on, they might have been serious rivals of Walt Disney.

Nevertheless, it was "Gulliver" that was the hit, and "Hoppety" the flop - partly because it's release coincided with Pearl Harbour. (I mean the actual attack - not the movie [he added stupidly]). It was so bad that it was donkey's years before Paramount dared invest in another animated movie.

*Did you know that Betty Boop was originally a caricature of actress Helen Kane?

220px-Helen_kane.jpg.53287f6d3905adc7a2f55bdf0252e6ae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Eurovision Song Contest:  The Story of Fire Saga

Found this on Netflix, it's a relatively new film.  It's the story of an Icelandic singing duo (probably or definitely not brother and sister) played by Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams who end up representing Iceland for Eurovision, which we learned is a real thing and a very big deal in Europe.  We only decided to watch it as we'd been to Iceland a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the place.  We hoped to see some things we'd recognize and were not disappointed.  

It was surprisingly well done and features many former Eurovision competitors performing their music.  I had goosebumps for the final performance.  I find myself going back to watch bits and pieces of it.

Note:  Will Ferrell does his own singing but Rachel McAdams lip syncs to performances by Molly 'My Marianne' Sandén, whose voice is incredible.

Edited by hzdbl5

1 hour ago, hzdbl5 said:

Eurovision Song Contest:  The Story of Fire Saga

Found this on Netflix, it's a relatively new film.  It's the story of an Icelandic singing duo (probably or definitely not brother and sister) played by Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams who end up representing Iceland for Eurovision, which we learned is a real thing and a very big deal in Europe.  We only decided to watch it as we'd been to Iceland a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the place.  We hoped to see some things we'd recognize and were not disappointed.  

It was surprisingly well done and features many former Eurovision competitors performing their music.  I had goosebumps for the final performance.  I find myself going back to watch bits and pieces of it.

Note:  Will Ferrell does his own singing but Rachel McAdams lip syncs to performances by Molly 'My Marianne' Sandén, whose voice is incredible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision

Eurovision was created generations ago in the hopes of fostering international goodwill, and winning can be a massive boost to the act and nation alike. But the way things so often operate have left the event ripe for parody, and world politics has affected it on a few occasions.

I just rewatched the Amazon 8-part series entitled UNDONE. It's an excellent story that ultimately explores mental illness. Interestingly, it's done in animation. At 22-minutes per episode, it can easily be binge-watched in 1-2 settings. Highly recommend.

• 1 month later...

To the request of my wife, we watched Mulan.

you have probably all heard it before, but just take the original Mulan, remove the music, remove the character arc, remove the personality, then include all the climax moments only leave them awkward and poorly executed, water down the ending dialogue between Mulan and her father, and then add unnecessary character and back stories and cram them in essentially the same amount of time.

Honestly, the worst parts of the movie were the awkward and poorly executed scenes that tried to give homage to the cartoon. The ending in particularly seemed to cram the 3 resolutions  (She saved a China, she really did bring honor to her family, and her fathers love and forgiveness,) into one big dialogue.

At the beginning of the pandemic, I finally caved in and bought a year of CBS all access, to keep up with my Star Trek addiction.  I'm glad I did it. Picard had a wonderful first season, there were so many ways "old man in space" could have been bad, but they did it well.  Discovery's first two seasons are pretty good, I'm jazzed that season 3 hits in October.  

And I'm getting a huge kick out of Lower Decks - the animated Star Trek comedy!  I'm grateful, in a universe where we might have been saddled with some awful Wesley Crusher thing, we got this instead.  It's canon, and it's enjoying poking fun at trekkies who take themselves too seriously.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:24 AM, NeuroTypical said:

At the beginning of the pandemic, I finally caved in and bought a year of CBS all access, to keep up with my Star Trek addiction.  I'm glad I did it. Picard had a wonderful first season, there were so many ways "old man in space" could have been bad, but they did it well.  Discovery's first two seasons are pretty good, I'm jazzed that season 3 hits in October.  

And I'm getting a huge kick out of Lower Decks - the animated Star Trek comedy!  I'm grateful, in a universe where we might have been saddled with some awful Wesley Crusher thing, we got this instead.  It's canon, and it's enjoying poking fun at trekkies who take themselves too seriously.

Hubby and I did that free month of CBS all access.  He watched all of Picard and Discovery, really liking both and especially Picard.  I liked the random bits I saw over his shoulder.   Looking forward to the next season.  :)