What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

I just had a "eh?" incident at church yesterday. I asked my friend who is talented with the sewing machine if she knows how to attach garter to a skirt. She looked at me funny.

Okay, what do you guys call the material that attaches to the waist band of the skirt to make it stretchy? My friend says it's called elastic. In the Philippines, it's called garter (Phils sometimes uses British words and sometimes American words). What is it called in the UK? Canada?

A garter is a band worn on the leg to hold up stockings or socks (an example of such a device below):

swan_sock_garter_2.jpg

A garter belt is an undergarment worn to the same purpose (well, for stockings more so than socks) that goes around the waist. I'll refrain from linking to an image for obvious reasons. Just an FYI in case your friend didn't explain the American understanding of the terms.

Edited by Dravin

A garter is a band of cloth, usually made of elastic materials these days, worn on the leg to hold up stockings or socks (an example intended for use with socks below):

A garter belt is an undergarment worn to the same purpose (well, for stockings more so than socks) that goes around the waist. I'll refrain from linking to an image for obvious reasons. Just an FYI in case your friend didn't explain the American understanding of the terms.

Uhm yeah, that's not what she told me. She said a garter is this piece of elastic band that the groom removes from the bride's leg and throws out to the guys in similar fashion as the bride throwing the bouquet to the girls during wedding receptions. She didn't say that the garter is meant to hold her socks (I've never heard of brides wearing socks with her wedding dress).

I have heard of garter belts for stockings which nobody uses anymore with the invention of the pantyhose but I've never heard of garter things holding up socks.

So, what do you call the elastic material used to make waist bands?

Uhm yeah, that's not what she told me. She said a garter is this piece of elastic band that the groom removes from the bride's leg and throws out to the guys in similar fashion as the bride throwing the bouquet to the girls during wedding receptions. She didn't say that the garter is meant to hold her socks (I've never heard of brides wearing socks with her wedding dress).

The garter that brides wear at weddings is a tradition that has deviated from the practical garment. I suspect most people are more familiar with the ones worn as part of the wedding tradition as the tradition makes the presence of the garter known to everyone at the wedding. Their use as a practical garment has decreased with the inclusion of elastic materials in socks and stockings and they are less visible than those associated with the wedding tradition (which tradition I personally find distasteful).

So, what do you call the elastic material used to make waist bands?

Probably an elastic band or elastic. Not as a proper name for elastic materials used to make waist bands but as a descriptive term (it's a band of elastic material), my socks also have elastic bands in them. You might also hear it referred to as Spandex after a brand name of elastic material.

Edited by Dravin

Pam.... I am sooooo incrediably tempted to go watch a movie -right this moment- that would put the previous tangent on track!

Exercising self control. Biting nails. Remembering why I don't bite nails. Jitter. Twitch. On topic!

39 Steps.

(Modern version with Rupert Penry-Jones)

So dreamy.

At least in his spy/spook roles!

Q

DRAGONFLY!!!! IT'S A MUST SEE!

I thought it was a horror movie... but it's actually not (I don't watch horror movies but my husband assured me I will like this one). And the twist took me completely by surprise!

It's the one with Kevin Costner in it. He's not a very good actor but I didn't notice the acting here. I was sitting on the edge of my seat ready to jet if it gets too scary...

A couple of months ago, I caught the last 80% or so of The Sixth Sense. While I didn't see the whole thing (missed the first part), what I saw of it convinced me that none of the praise heaped upon it was overdone.

But I'm kind of a sucker for clever twist endings, and I seem never to be bright enough to figure them out beforehand. For example, I was completely surprised by the ending of The Prestige -- a beautifully acted and produced movie that I found so profoundly unpleasant to watch that I will never watch it again. Once is enough.

A couple of months ago, I caught the last 80% or so of The Sixth Sense. While I didn't see the whole thing (missed the first part), what I saw of it convinced me that none of the praise heaped upon it was overdone.

But I'm kind of a sucker for clever twist endings, and I seem never to be bright enough to figure them out beforehand. For example, I was completely surprised by the ending of The Prestige -- a beautifully acted and produced movie that I found so profoundly unpleasant to watch that I will never watch it again. Once is enough.

Vort, I have a feeling you will enjoy Dragonfly...

I couldn't watch Sixth Sense at the theater. It was too visually scary to me. I watched it after it got to DVD so I can watch it while doing something else (this is how I watched X-files TV series - watched it while doing things like washing dishes) and I really liked the story! I had to go watch it again just to see if it is consistent after knowing the ending and I didn't get bothered by the visual scary things anymore.

Edited by anatess

Did you see The Others and figure out the ending before it happened?

Ephraim's Rescue. It was okay. I expected better after having seen 7 Miracles (fantastic movie).

I liked Ephraim's Rescue. Probably because a friend of mine played Ephraim. But I also thought it wasn't as good as 17 Miracles.

I loved Ephraim's Rescue. But, I hadn't watched 17 Miracles beforehand, so I wasn't biased. Thanks, Pam for inviting me to go with you to see it. And, double thanks for the DVD of 17 Miracles!!

You are so welcome. I just wish they had not included a copy of the invoice when I had it shipped to your address. I wanted it to be anonymous. :) There wasn't the "send as a gift" option.

You are so welcome. I just wish they had not included a copy of the invoice when I had it shipped to your address. I wanted it to be anonymous. :) There wasn't the "send as a gift" option.

If it had come anonymously, I think I would have guessed it was from you. We had just watched Ephraim's Rescue together, I had mentioned I hadn't seen !7 Miracles yet, and really, really wanted to see it. Put two and two together, and my guess would have been you!

That's a good one too!

Until today my husband and I can still debate the ending of Inception. Lol.

I will admit that I didn't have the ending figured out before hand. I was surprised.

Erased.

Ex-CIA operative Ben Logan (Aaron Eckhart, The Dark Knight) has been long estranged from his young daughter (Liana Liberato). That instantly changes when both are mysteriously targeted for termination, and all evidence of Logan’s life is erased. Pursued by a relentless, enigmatic agent (Olga Kurylenko), the two go on the run in search of the truth, in this non-stop, heart-racing international thriller.

Standard you did a black op job for us now we must make you disappear movie. I enjoyed it.

We went to see Catching Fire today, it was okay, it set things up for the next part of the story. I haven't read the books, so I don't know how faithful it was or how good a rendition but it was an entertaining enough movie. Later, noticing a free Redbox rental offer, we picked up RIPD on a lark... uhg... it is the worse movie I can think of watching in a good long time. What got me is the premise could have made a decent enjoyable movie, but it just felt squandered by poor characterization and some of the plot elements.

I watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. I liked it.

Oh and I also watched the new version of Red Dawn. I'm afraid I still like the original better.

Edited by pam

I saw Catching Fire yesterday. I liked it. I was looking forward to the scenes they filmed at the Swan House (an historical home in Atlanta, Georgia). On vacation last year while in Atlanta we visited the Swan House so I was hoping I would recognize some of the indoor scenes. I think I will need to watch the movie again on DVD.

M.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic