What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Wasn't a movie but watched the first season last night of Flip This House or something like that. I like those shows. Amazing how a dumpy old place can be transformed into something desirable.

Ooooh, I love those shows! I was completely addicted to Trading Spaces and morphed to anything in HGTV that has those house transformations - like that one with the carpenter from Trading Spaces that goes and rebuilds an entire house in 3 days or something for some "deserving" family.

Ooooh, I love those shows! I was completely addicted to Trading Spaces and morphed to anything in HGTV that has those house transformations - like that one with the carpenter from Trading Spaces that goes and rebuilds an entire house in 3 days or something for some "deserving" family.

I am a deserving family! Someone build me a house please :)

My husband watches movies all of the time and I sit on my laptop and pretend to be paying attention.

The last one we "watched" was Reacher or something like that. Something violent, boring and a total dude flick. :P Which is why I can't really remember it or anything about it.

If it had Tom Cruise in it then you're right it is totally unmemorable. Even the great actress girl (she's the oldest daughter in Pride & Prejudice with Kiera Knightly in it) couldn't save it.

You had me at hello.

Football in a chick flick... what is more perfect than that??? Oh, if it was somebody other than Tom Cruise... yes. But, even Tom Cruise couldn't ruin this movie. One of my favorites.

Just finished up the Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended additions, plus all the special features. Took about 3 weeks.

Now reading the book. (edit: I should say "books" to be clear, but technically the copy I have is all in one big book.)

Just finished up the Lord of the Rings trilogy, extended additions, plus all the special features. Took about 3 weeks.

Now reading the book. (edit: I should say "books" to be clear, but technically the copy I have is all in one big book.)

Eowyn would be proud!

And technically, it's one big book. :P

I believe that Tolkien considered The Lord of the Rings to consist of six books, not three. Each of the "three books" consists of two books.

To be technically technical, yes. One Volume though. Volume = one big book though in my vernacular.

After all these years, I finally saw 'Chariots of Fire.' I appreciate the Christian guy's devotion, but I just hate, hate the British upper class, especially when they are in the process of messing with people who are actually doing the work/accomplishing something (as opposed to being born to wealth and power). This week, I wanted to smack Lord Grantham on 'Downton Abbey' for the same idiotic behavior.

I looked back and don't see where I posted this, but I saw 'Blackfish.' Sad and devastating.

I looked back and don't see where I posted this, but I saw 'Blackfish.' Sad and devastating.

...And a completely agenda driven one-sided drivel. I super dislike these kinds of movies. I put it in the same trash pile as Al Gore's melting ice-caps Oscar winner and Michael Moore's political documentaries.

Disclaimer: Aside from holding season's passes to SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, I worked for a few years with a guy who rescues, rehabilitates, and releases all species of birds for SeaWorld. What they do in SeaWorld is crazy amazing. Things behind the scenes you don't see as a tourist. The same goes for Atlanta Georgia Aquarium. It is beyond breathtaking.

Sorry, anatess, holding these magnificent creatures in pens is disgraceful and abusive. I didn't need 'Blackfish' to tell me that, but I was looking for what really happened to the trainer who died (and the other dead trainers). Orcas don't need SeaWorld to 'help' them.

I beg to differ. SeaWorld is educating people so there wouldn't be a need to save orcas.

Putting a human in a cubicle 8 hours a day can be regarded as disgraceful and abusive... Yet there they are. Lots of them hating it yet coming for more. Why? They got a job to do.

Edited by anatess

I tend to agree with dahlia, in that I see animal circuses and circus-like displays to be an anachronistic remnant of a time when people could never see "great beasts" in anything like a natural habitat, so the "great beasts" needed to be brought to them. But I don't think orcas are anything like endangered, and I would be interested to know what services SeaWorld performs in the interest of research and other related activities.

As for people dying from orcas: These are among the largest predators in the entire world, perhaps the largest. (Sperm whales are a lot bigger, but I don't know how predatory they are, and I'm pretty sure they don't generally attack and eat large mammals as orcas do.) Anyone who works around them should know full well that their lives are on the line.

I tend to agree with dahlia, in that I see animal circuses and circus-like displays to be an anachronistic remnant of a time when people could never see "great beasts" in anything like a natural habitat, so the "great beasts" needed to be brought to them. But I don't think orcas are anything like endangered, and I would be interested to know what services SeaWorld performs in the interest of research and other related activities.

As for people dying from orcas: These are among the largest predators in the entire world, perhaps the largest. (Sperm whales are a lot bigger, but I don't know how predatory they are, and I'm pretty sure they don't generally attack and eat large mammals as orcas do.) Anyone who works around them should know full well that their lives are on the line.

It's like people playing Call of Duty thinking they know warfare. Watching "great beasts" on TV is not anything at all like the real thing.

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are mostly research facility. The theme park pays for all the work that happens behind the shows. You can tour the research facility with a special pass.

Just as a tiny example (they are the only things I got some personal involvement in) - SeaWorld has a show called Pets Ahoy. It's a show with traditional pets and some farm animals - dogs, cats, potbellied pigs, ducks, ferrets, etc. The pets go on a completely hands-off routine and is a very popular show on SeaWorld. Towards the end of the show, the trainers show a very short video giving a glimpse of the lives of the pet cast - every single one of the pets on the show are rescue animals and the video shows the dire circumstances the animal comes from and how their journey leads to SeaWorld's rescue program and then a short blip encouraging support for rescue programs around the world. SeaWorld runs a rescue group and partners with rescue programs for abandoned pets. The pets that perform on Pets Ahoy are only the ones that are obedient enough and pretty enough to be on a performance - hundreds of pets don't ever make it to the stage. But they all receive the same care and attention behind the walls of the Pets Ahoy stage.

Busch Gardens have a bird show. They do the same thing - bird rescue.

Shamu is Sea World's biggest attraction (not just literally but also financially). Shamu pays for a lot of the stuff that happens in the research facilities because shows like Pets Ahoy cannot support the rescue efforts going on behind the scenes. The pets rescue is so resource intensive that Sea World/Busch Gardens have to turn down so many of them - the guy I worked with has hundreds of rescue birds in his backyard that he personally pays for himself.

As for the killer whales themselves - there are still a huge number of research going on about them just waiting for funding. Every research that has to do with Shamu is expensive - a hundred times more than the Pets Ahoy rescue. Another really expensive one is the arctic animals - the Polar Bears and Beluga Whales. Sea World and Georgia Aquarium work together on the research going on there. Jeff Corwin featured the Beluga and Penguin research going on in the Atlanta Aquarium in one of his shows.

By the way - do you know there are several groups trying to boycott shows like Jeff Corwin and Crocodile Hunter accusing them of animal abuse?

Florida is even a really crazy one - they have groups boycotting Ringling and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens but the State holds a yearly Python Challenge inviting people from all over the world to kill Burmese Pythons - an engangered species.

Okay... back to the topic.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic