What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Nebraska

Wasn't existing the film to be in black and white but it was good nonetheless. Plot revolves around a dysfunctional family, yet, there are dynamics that most anyone can relate to. The ending has a moral too, somewhat, you'd have to watch it to "get it". I thought it was well made though paced slowly.

13 Going On 30

Adorable. Cute. Feel good. Haven't watched it in eons but did tonight with my DH and DD. I love how playful the storyline is, it's actually refreshing, even if silly.

Saving Face

It's a documentary about an American-Pakistani plastic surgeon who went back to his country to perform surgical repair on Pakistani women who were burn victims of domestic abuse. The 45-minute film goes into the background of the burns, the activism of organizations helping these women gain confidence to move on and live normal lives as well as lend their voices to change Pakistani culture and the work of the surgeon to give them a chance at normalcy through facial reconstruction.

One of the cases was a woman whose husband threw acid at her face, then the sister-in-law threw gasoline on her, and her mother-in-law lit her with a match. She is still living with her in-laws after surviving the burn because she can't afford to care for her kids by herself. In an interview, the husband claimed that his wife went mad and threw acid and gasoline on herself and a candle nearby accidentally lit the gasoline... Anyway, half her face is all burned with one eye melted shut. During the surgery, they opened up her eye and the optical surgeon said the eyeball is so shrunken that there's nothing to save and the socket cannot support a glass one because it is just too long since the burn incident that it's too late to do anything about it. So, in the end, they were able to save her face and she looks very pretty but she only has 1 eye.

While all this is going on, the organization was able to influence Pakistani Parliament and they unanimously passed legislation that perpetrators of acid-violence is mandated a life sentence. So, she was able to sue her husband and he got 2 life sentences for what happened to her.

Edited by anatess

Saving Face

It's a documentary about an American-Pakistani plastic surgeon who went back to his country to perform surgical repair on Pakistani women who were burn victims of domestic abuse. The 45-minute film goes into the background of the burns, the activism of organizations helping these women gain confidence to move on and live normal lives as well as lend their voices to change Pakistani culture and the work of the surgeon to give them a chance at normalcy through facial reconstruction.

One of the cases was a woman whose husband threw acid at her face, then the sister-in-law threw gasoline on her, and her mother-in-law lit her with a match. She is still living with her in-laws after surviving the burn because she can't afford to care for her kids by herself. In an interview, the husband claimed that his wife went mad and threw acid and gasoline on herself and a candle nearby accidentally lit the gasoline...

It's a sad sad sad reality.

That would be really interesting. Very sad but interesting.

Revenge of the Sith

The kids are sick so we had a mid-week family movie night and that's the movie they picked out of everything available on the movies drawer, or anything they could have rented from all the online sources. I asked them about 10 times - Are you sure? Because, they've seen that movie so many times they can recite the dialogue and sound effects. But yeah. That's what they both wanted to watch.

And towards the end... when Obiwan and Anakin faced off on the landing platform... they both recited the entire dialogue until they both yelled... "You will try!".

Never gets old, that one.

Dallas Buyers Club

Interesting based-on-a-true-story about a man diagnosed with HIV/AIDS fighting against the FDA and pharmaceutical companies for better and safer drug alternatives. The acting is SUPERB, really some of the best work from Matthew Mcconaughey and Jared Leto, the awards were warranted. That said, it's not for everyone, it has strong language and very graphic sexuality throughout. I'd recommend if you can stomach the gritty storytelling of how someone's life can down spiral from contracting social disease - that part is pretty depressing - otherwise it's worthy a watch.

Dallas Buyers Club

Interesting based-on-a-true-story about a man diagnosed with HIV/AIDS fighting against the FDA and pharmaceutical companies for better and safer drug alternatives. The acting is SUPERB, really some of the best work from Matthew Mcconaughey and Jared Leto, the awards were warranted. That said, it's not for everyone, it has strong language and very graphic sexuality throughout. I'd recommend if you can stomach the gritty storytelling of how someone's life can down spiral from contracting social disease - that part is pretty depressing - otherwise it's worthy a watch.

There were a few of this year's Oscar picks that I was interested in seeing, despite their R ratings. This was not one of them. This wasn't one that I thought I could handle very well. But I have heard wonderful and fantastic things about it.

There were a few of this year's Oscar picks that I was interested in seeing, despite their R ratings. This was not one of them. This wasn't one that I thought I could handle very well. But I have heard wonderful and fantastic things about it.

I would really like to see 12 years a Slave.

I love Michael Fassbender. I hate that he gets too many of these roles where he's a sexual deviant. And that's the main reason I'm not watching this film.

That was one I also wasn't in. I think I'm not great with harsh reality films. Not when they're that heavy, anyway.

I was interested in American Hustle and August: Osage County.

Edited by Wingnut

Watched

Cumberbatch is a superb actor and physically shows van Gogh's highs and lows, descent into despair over his mental health, etc. The dialogue is all from letters relating to, and from van Gogh, I always considered him a lonely artist and was surprised to learn he was generally respected by and socialized with many of the major artists of his time, such as Gauguin and Toulouse-Lautrec. It's also interesting to see how his ideas about art and color changed along his career. Also, for awhile, he was quite given to the gospel and thought about being a preacher. Such a fascinating - and sad - life.

I've seen van Gogh's work at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. You simply don't get the real feel for the art from looking at a picture in a book. In person, the paintings are mind blowing; so full of texture. Just wonderful.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic