What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

We watched the most recent Jurassic Park last night. As a turn-off-your-brain-and-ride-on-cruise-control movie goes, it was fine. Predictable, more or less by the numbers. Some absolutely needless offensive language, a rather contrived family crisis to build the story around. Other than that, it was pretty much exactly what you would expect from a Jurassic Park movie. I liked it better than the new Star Wars movie, which isn't really saying much.

We watched the most recent Jurassic Park last night. As a turn-off-your-brain-and-ride-on-cruise-control movie goes, it was fine. Predictable, more or less by the numbers. Some absolutely needless offensive language, a rather contrived family crisis to build the story around. Other than that, it was pretty much exactly what you would expect from a Jurassic Park movie. I liked it better than the new Star Wars movie, which isn't really saying much.

Did you notice the shoes?

:D

Another movie marathon.  We haven't been to the theater since Star Wars which, for my family, is a loooooooonnnggg time.  We've been watching movies on the TV instead.  The $$$ savings from the popcorn and drinks alone is astronomical.  :D

Ant-Man

Jurassic World

The Martian

A River Runs Through It (my son is a big-time fisherman)

Did you notice the shoes?

:D

I did not. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I do remember the male lead making some comment about her shoes.

So was the female lead supposed to be a grown-up version of the little girl from the first Jurassic Park movie? So says Sister Vort, and she's almost always right about such things. But the woman looked nothing like the little girl, and I don't quite see what purpose the connection would have. Little girl terrorized by nightmarish monsters that eat people and cause untold carnage grows up to be soulless corporate shill trading human lives for money? Huh?

I just saw the trailer for Pride and Prejudice AND ZOMBIES!

I SOOOO HOPE THIS IS NOT GONNA BE RATED-R!  I AM GONNA GO WATCH IT THE DAY IT COMES OUT!

It's R.

For future reference, Box Office Mojo.com maintains a list of upcoming movies that often goes as far as 2+ years out. If you find a movie that sounds interesting, you can check the title against IMDB.com and/or Wikipedia. Depending upon how far in advance we're talking, there will usually be a rating already in place. 

So was the female lead supposed to be a grown-up version of the little girl from the first Jurassic Park movie?

Not that i'm aware of. The character names are completely different. Lex Murphy (the little girl) versus Claire Dearing.

It's R.

For future reference, Box Office Mojo.com maintains a list of upcoming movies that often goes as far as 2+ years out. If you find a movie that sounds interesting, you can check the title against IMDB.com and/or Wikipedia. Depending upon how far in advance we're talking, there will usually be a rating already in place.

Never mind then. Grrrrr.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Well...That's one way to try and make one's calling and election sure I suppose.

What's "one way to try [to] make one's calling and election sure"?

Context is everything.

Lehi

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

What?

You stated "That's one way to try and make one's calling and election sure I suppose." There is no antecedent for "That", so I'm asking what you were talking about.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

22 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

You stated "That's one way to try and make one's calling and election sure I suppose." three is no antecedent for "That", so I'm asking what you were talking about.

Lehi

Watching raunchy, exceedingly violent, sex and nudity filled R-rated cuss fests.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Watching raunchy, exceedingly violent, sex and nudity filled R-rated cuss fests.

I'm a movie reviewer for a local newspaper. 

It's my *job* to go in and watch films, no matter how bad they are. 

I've mentioned this several times in the past now. 

23 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

It's my *job* to go in and watch films, no matter how bad they are. 

I've mentioned this several times in the past now. 

Well...that's one way to try and make one's calling and election sure I suppose.  

Guest MormonGator
34 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

That's a cool job! I had no idea you did that! 

Edited by MormonGator

4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

That's a cool job! I had no idea you did that! 

It gets less cool when you realize what sort of garbage I have to sit through some weeks.

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Well...that's one way to try and make one's calling and election sure I suppose.  

Mind not being rude and judgmental? 

FYI, it's quite rare these days to have an openly religious movie reviewer at a secular publication. This puts me in a very unique situation, especially since I'm fully independent of the Hollywood machine. You see, because I'm independent of the machine, I can call films as I see them. If I feel like killing one of Hollywood's darlings, I can. If I want to push a film that Hollywood doesn't want to admit exists, I can. I give people straight-up, agenda-free reviews, often going so far as to provide context for a film that other reviewers don't take the time to learn about themselves. For example, I seem to be the only newspaper-based movie reviewer in the US to have even read an issue of "Deadpool" before the film debuted, let alone have a comprehensive grasp of what happened to the comic book industry during the 1990s and how that fed what Deadpool eventually became.

I've had people of all stripes tell me that they listen to me before they listen to almost any other movie reviewer, which is a high honor when you consider that I'm competing with national syndicates like Tribune Media.

In the process, I've had the chance to advocate for more family-friendly films and more religious films, in the process exposing multiple movies that tried to present themselves as such when they actually weren't. 

And for the record, when I first got started I explained the whole situation to the branch presidency. They understand what I'm doing and what is obligated of me, and trust me accordingly. They recognize that I am, in essence, playing "canary in the coal mine" so that others don't get caught by surprise. 

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic