What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Also, we have two big films opening up this Friday. 

The first one is "Risen", which is about the Resurrection from the perspective of the Romans. 

The second one is "Race", which is about Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics. 

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM, Ironhold said:

It's R.

For future reference, Box Office Mojo.com maintains a list of upcoming movies that often goes as far as 2+ years out. If you find a movie that sounds interesting, you can check the title against IMDB.com and/or Wikipedia. Depending upon how far in advance we're talking, there will usually be a rating already in place.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was PG-13!

Watched it twice.  Loved it.  Zombie heads getting blown off...

Didn't like Mr. Darcy - he didn't hold any appeal for me, it seemed like the chemistry was only on the Cinderella-actress' side.  He was stiff as a zombie.  Even on that important scene of him asking Lizzie to marry him, he was not convincing at all.

They changed the story from the book... Wickham was made to be the anti-Christ that leads the zombies to the apocalypse.  I'm not sure I liked this version.  But it was fun.

If you're gonna watch this movie, don't leave when the credits roll.  It's got that extra scene after the principal cast.

33 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Mind not being rude and judgmental?.

I'm afraid you're going to have to walk me through how I'm being either rude or judgmental. If you feel your activities are, indeed, leading you towards your calling and election being made sure, as we all should be doing, then keep on. If not, then change. My comment is only for consideration. I would hope that you, and any others, seriously consider the implications of what I'm suggesting. If you do and it leads you to action that draws you closer to what and where you should be, awesome. If not, that's between you and your maker.

23 minutes ago, anatess said:

Kung Fu Panda 3.

I'm convinced we can have Kung Fu Panda 33 and it would still be fun.  I love Mr. Ping's character - Kung Fu Panda's adoptive dad.  He is an awesome stepdad.  LOL.

Right now it's the #2 movie in the nation, with $93 million in box office sales. 

Deadpool's #1 with $100 million in box office sales. 

On 2/14/2016 at 9:58 PM, Ironhold said:

Saw "Deadpool" earlier. 

The film well and truly earned its "R" rating due to content, but given the kind of character Deadpool is the film wouldn't have been the same if it had been censored. 

Here in Canada, Deadpool was rated as 14A, which means suitable for viewers 14 years and older, anyone younger needed to be accompanied by an adult.

I saw Deadpool this weekend and loved it. I was not familiar with the character or story but the movie told it well. The movie has violence, bad language and nudity but it was very funny and the character Deadpool was very likeable. The movie got my attention right from the start with the goofy credits at the beginning.

Ironhold, what did you think of the movie?

M.

10 hours ago, Maureen said:

Here in Canada, Deadpool was rated as 14A, which means suitable for viewers 14 years and older, anyone younger needed to be accompanied by an adult.

I saw Deadpool this weekend and loved it. I was not familiar with the character or story but the movie told it well. The movie has violence, bad language and nudity but it was very funny and the character Deadpool was very likeable. The movie got my attention right from the start with the goofy credits at the beginning.

Ironhold, what did you think of the movie?

M.

I honestly think it nailed it. 

The long and short of it is that the 1990s was, in retrospect, a vast wasteland as far as the comic book industry went. 

Upstart publishers like Image and McFarlane pushed the whole "extreme!" angle with their characters, leading to an ugly mix of questionable artwork, excessive violence, needless sexual content, and pointless obscenities. If it tells you how bad things were, Image's Supreme #4 (which I have a copy of thanks to years of grab-bag purchases of overstock product) includes a sequence where the title character, a Superman knock-off, kills a terrorist in a needlessly graphic fashion. That's what the "extreme!" era was about. 

Even though most of these issues were garbage, the bigger houses like DC and Marvel were seduced by the high sales numbers and cult success of some of the early characters and so quickly took that angle. It didn't help any that guys like Rob Liefield were doing work for multiple publishers at the time, meaning that the disease spread. By 1993 / 1994, even mainstream non-"extreme!" titles like the licensed G. I. Joe and Transformers titles were forced into line. (Ironically, Dark Horse Comics' G. I. Joe Extreme was far closer to the spirit of the early 1980s Marvel issues of G. I. Joe than the issues from the 1990s.)

By the late 1990s, the industry had made a mockery of itself. A few publishers and imprints, such as Archie, Vertigo, and Bongo, had escaped the allure of "extreme". But just about everyone else was falling all over themselves to win an arms race that shouldn't have been run in the first place. That is, everyone else who was still alive; a number of respectable publishers like Comico, Valiant, and Now all perished during the 1990s. It was into this mess that characters like Deadpool, DC's Lobo, and the character Hellboy (mods - he's had two major motion pictures under his name) became famous. 

Hellboy started out as just another gothic-themed comic book. Deadpool, meanwhile, originally debuted in 1991 as a disposable villain (and has since come to be known as "the only good thing to ever come out of Rob Liefield's head"). But by the late 1990s, the characters (thanks in part to changes in the creative teams) came to evolve in a very unique direction. They, along with the purpose-built Lobo, refused to join the arms race. Instead, they were going to sit on the sidelines and throw peanuts at the competitors. They took the "extreme" content to 11, not in an effort to win the race but in an effort to show how absolutely ridiculous the whole thing was by taking it to its absurd conclusions. This deliberate self-parody, coupled with some incredibly competent writing teams, helped to finally kill the "extreme!" mentality as we knew it while making stars of the characters themselves. 

The vast majority of the "extreme!" characters have rightfully been forgotten, but these three continue to live on. And they'll continue to live on so long as the writing teams remember to not take them all that seriously. 

Love at the Christmas Table.  It was a TV movie that we saw on Amazon.  It was cute.  A little Hallmarkish and rather predictable.  But it filled the time on a Valentine's date when we really didn't see anything enticing at the theater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10 Cloverfield Lane.

You need to be familiar with the associated ARG (alternate reality game) to understand the background of the film and how it ties in with the larger "Cloverfield" mythos, but if you get too deeply in to the ARG then it'll spoil the film for you. 

10 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

10 Cloverfield Lane.

You need to be familiar with the associated ARG (alternate reality game) to understand the background of the film and how it ties in with the larger "Cloverfield" mythos, but if you get too deeply in to the ARG then it'll spoil the film for you. 

That's another movie I'd like to see but since I know nothing about the alternate reality game, would I not understand it at all?

2 hours ago, pam said:

That's another movie I'd like to see but since I know nothing about the alternate reality game, would I not understand it at all?

Yeah, unfortunately. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane#Marketing

It can take an entire evening to wade through everything, especially since there are videos to watch and lengthy supposed letters to read. 

The ARG provides vital world-building people need in order to understand how this film actually fits in with the overall movie franchise. It also goes into more detail about just what Howard (John Goodman's character) did in the military and why he's the way he is. If you know this all going in, then it spoils a big chunk of the movie since it provides critical insight into Howard that most theater-goers wouldn't otherwise have... and it's this lack of insight that drives most of the psychological aspect of the film, since a lot of it relies on whether or not Howard's truly insane or if he's somehow justified in his actions. 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

Yeah, unfortunately. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane#Marketing

It can take an entire evening to wade through everything, especially since there are videos to watch and lengthy supposed letters to read. 

The ARG provides vital world-building people need in order to understand how this film actually fits in with the overall movie franchise. It also goes into more detail about just what Howard (John Goodman's character) did in the military and why he's the way he is. If you know this all going in, then it spoils a big chunk of the movie since it provides critical insight into Howard that most theater-goers wouldn't otherwise have... and it's this lack of insight that drives most of the psychological aspect of the film, since a lot of it relies on whether or not Howard's truly insane or if he's somehow justified in his actions. 

Well darn because it looks like an interesting movie.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic