What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

6 hours ago, Bini said:

The Great Wall and it was meh okay. It was action packed enough that you didn't get bored but the plot just rang hollow, mostly. I would recommend waiting until it's on RedBox or Netflix or something of that nature.

I don't know what Matt Damon was thinking when he chose to act in that movie.

3 hours ago, Bini said:

The Great Wall and it was meh okay. It was action packed enough that you didn't get bored but the plot just rang hollow, mostly. I would recommend waiting until it's on RedBox or Netflix or something of that nature.

I have a rating system:

Great movies means I'll pay full price (Friday evening price).

Good movies means I'll pay matinee or maybe cheaper theater (can't call them dollar movies anymore).

Ok movies means it's worth a rental.

Meh movies means wait until it's on Netflix or HBO (if you have it). In other words, don't pay anything extra for them.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME movies means just that. 

Watched Laura.  This is kind of a softer, less grimy film noir (read: less fun).  Definitely not on the level of Out of the Past or A Touch of Evil.  Pure good guys who are main characters don't belong in film noir (with the exception of A Touch of Evil).  Still light years ahead of all the dumb superhero movies coming out today, though.

(After thinking on it, I think I like Out of the Past just as much as A Touch of Evil).

Edited by DoctorLemon

The Spy Next Door (2010).  Jackie Chan, Amber Valletta

Great family flick.  Wife and I loved it.  We thought it was clean enough to show the kids.  They all loved it.  My daughter made a comment about the teenager wearing a skirt that was too short.

It had a bit of Jackie Chan, Spy Kids, and Home Alone mixed together.

Hidden Figures

Loved this movie.  @Vort probably is going to grit his teeth a bit on the math depiction.  But it's a good historical view on the struggles of colored people that led MLK and his counterparts to demand change and how these black women blazed the path in that time.  John Glen was way cute.

Edited by anatess2

Finally saw Hacksaw Ridge. Very, very, bloody and gory. Many times, I had to look away because I am wimpy like that. But, what an incredible story about an incredible man. Amazing faith and endurance. My only complaint is that I wished they had established his faith before he went into the Army. They tried to but it wasn't enough, IMO. Still a great war movie.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, pam said:

I saw the movie Lion yesterday.  Excellent movie.   But have tissues.  There were sobs throughout the theater.

People tell me I should watch the Lion in Winter. I guess February gives it a better experience.

(I'm thinking about buying a used copy so I can watch Second Hand Lions at the same time).

Watched “Arrival” as part of a guy outing with my sons.  We all enjoyed the movie and had a great discussion afterwards that lasted for hours while we compared various time functions.  I am personally not accepting of time as a dimension because time is not a continuous function but I like the idea of time as a perception rather than something independent of intelligent perception. 

For many that hold to reality independent of perception – this movie will at best confuse or bore them and at a minimum be classified as silly or stupid.  For me I liked seeing the universe through a different perspective even thought I was not convinced; I believe it open to a lot of possibilities worth thinking about.

The Traveler

My Fair Lady

Watched this with my boys.  They had a belly laugh all throughout the movie.  At first they were like - She's soooo annoying!  And then they are so amused at the verbal abuse Higgins launched at Eliza.  I guess it's like the ultimate in fantasy for them - being able to tell some annoying girl, "I'll make a queen out of that barbarous wretch!"  or "I'll make a duchess out of that draggle tailed guttersnipe!", or "get that baggage out of here!".  It's so funny looking at them laughing at Higgins and then taking glances at me to make sure I'm not mad that they laughed or something.

Alien

Watched this my boys too.  They were like... this is sooo bad!  They were not impressed.

5 hours ago, pam said:

Okay don't laugh.  But I watched Adventures in Babysitting last night.   I always loved this movie and I had not seen it in years.  

Is this the one with that girl from Married with Children?  If so... well... I liked that movie... don't kick me out of the cool-kids bench.

Edited by anatess2

Just now, anatess2 said:

Is this the one with that girl from Married with Children?  If so... well... I liked that movie...

No.  It has Elizabeth Shue in it.  Christina Applegate was in Married with Children.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:53 PM, Traveler said:

Watched “Arrival” as part of a guy outing with my sons.  We all enjoyed the movie and had a great discussion afterwards that lasted for hours while we compared various time functions.  I am personally not accepting of time as a dimension because time is not a continuous function but I like the idea of time as a perception rather than something independent of intelligent perception. 

For many that hold to reality independent of perception – this movie will at best confuse or bore them and at a minimum be classified as silly or stupid.  For me I liked seeing the universe through a different perspective even thought I was not convinced; I believe it open to a lot of possibilities worth thinking about.

The Traveler

I think you are the first person I've seen that said they liked that movie. :)

5 minutes ago, pam said:

I think you are the first person I've seen that said they liked that movie. :)

Did anyone understand what the circles meant?  Or have any idea why circles?  Just wondering?

The Traveler

31 minutes ago, pam said:

No.  It has Elizabeth Shue in it.  Christina Applegate was in Married with Children.

Applegate was in "Don't tell mom the babysitter's dead"  Which is the movie I think Anatess2 was thinking about

Edited by estradling75

2 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Applegate was in "Don't tell mom the babysitter's dead"  Which is the move I think Anatess2 was thinking about

Ahhhhh.  Never heard of it.

9 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Did anyone understand what the circles meant?  Or have any idea why circles?  Just wondering?

**SPOILER** for Arrival.

The circles were the written communications used by the aliens, but probably not invented by them. Circles have no beginning or end, and thus are a symbol of eternity (see Joseph Smith -- Ring Example). The effect of learning to comprehend the circle-writing was that you began to have a non-linear temporal experience of reality, including future as well as past and present experiences.

Edited by Vort

34 minutes ago, Vort said:

**SPOILER** for Arrival.

The circles were the written communications used by the aliens, but probably not invented by them. Circles have no beginning or end, and thus are a symbol of eternity (see Joseph Smith -- Ring Example). The effect of learning to comprehend the circle-writing was that you began to have a non-linear temporal experience of reality, including future as well as past and present experiences.

Very good!!! - I assumed this did not have to be explained to you but that you understood all this from the movie - now the question.   If you understood the circles in the movie - did you enjoy figuring that out while you were watching the movie?  Those I have talked to concerning the movie, that did not like the movie and were confused with the presentation of non-linear time.  Both by the circles and the sequence of the movie.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Very good!!! - I assumed this did not have to be explained to you but that you understood all this from the movie - now the question.   If you understood the circles in the movie - did you enjoy figuring that out while you were watching the movie?  Those I have talked to concerning the movie, that did not like the movie and were confused with the presentation of non-linear time.  Both by the circles and the sequence of the movie.

Ah. I didn't realize it was a weed-out question. I thought it was a sincere question.

I enjoyed figuring it out as the movie went along. The cleverness and fun of the dawning realization more than made up for some of the clunky and irritating aspects of the film. I gave the movie an enthusiastic thumbs-up, despite its deficiencies. It was no Sixth Sense, but it was an intriguing movie in its own right. Not for everyone, I realize, and that's fine, but it worked very well for me.

Currently watching The Sound of Music.  A lot of these movies are the movies I watch when I'm sewing.  Gotta keep the motivation going in my sewing business. :)