What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 3/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, anatess2 said:

The Incredible Mr. Limpit

Oh my goodness gracious batman.  I watched this movie with the kids and we were laughing so hard (okay, it's not supposed to be funny) because of the ridiculousness of it... a guy became a fish and won World War II.  Hah hah.  It was just weird how there's this guy who was spending every Friday with his wife... and then he becomes a fish and meets a lady fish and so he left his wife... it was a stupid story.  But yeah, the simplicity of movies in the old days is refreshing.

I, too, love a good screwball comedy.  Some of my favorites are Bringing Up Baby, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and I Was a Male War Bride.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, anatess2 said:

The Incredible Mr. Limpit

Oh my goodness gracious batman.  I watched this movie with the kids and we were laughing so hard (okay, it's not supposed to be funny) because of the ridiculousness of it... a guy became a fish and won World War II.  Hah hah.  It was just weird how there's this guy who was spending every Friday with his wife... and then he becomes a fish and meets a lady fish and so he left his wife... it was a stupid story.  But yeah, the simplicity of movies in the old days is refreshing.

I, too, love a good screwball comedy.  Some of my favorites are Bringing Up Baby, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and I Was a Male War Bride.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:58 PM, Ironhold said:

Disney's "A Wrinkle In Time". 

Imagine that it's Christmas morning. You see a big, shiny, prominent present sitting right under the tree, and it has your name on it. 

Inside the box you find a dead possum. 

As someone who's actually read the book, that's what this film felt like for me. 

Oh my goodness yes!  I felt the exact same way!  I'm like... wait, who is who again?

Death Wish (rated R for head shots) 

This got a super bad rating in the professional reviews but got a really good rating on the viewer's reviews.  I loved this movie.  But then, Die Hard is one of my favorites, so I like Bruce Willis in this familiar role of defending his family from the baddies.  I have to say, I really like that actress that portrayed the daughter in this movie.  I don't remember seeing her in any other movie but she was really great in here.  Much better than the daughter in the Taken movie.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:58 PM, Ironhold said:

Disney's "A Wrinkle In Time". 

Imagine that it's Christmas morning. You see a big, shiny, prominent present sitting right under the tree, and it has your name on it. 

Inside the box you find a dead possum. 

As someone who's actually read the book, that's what this film felt like for me. 

Double Dang. I've heard nothing but bad about this movie. And i was really looking forward to it.

The last movie i watched was Coco. I loved it.

Peter Rabbit!

It was actually really good!  I have been dragged to a number of substandard movies lately by my daughter (my little pony and that one about soccer playing cavemen).  Peter Rabbit was actually pretty good. 

6 hours ago, Connie said:

Double Dang. I've heard nothing but bad about this movie. And i was really looking forward to it.

The last movie i watched was Coco. I loved it.

I'm actually an MBA with a background in marketing. 

Between that and my time on the job as a movie reviewer, the official promotional material for "Wrinkle" sent up all sorts of red flags. This included the focus on the big-name celebs and the race & gender of the director as opposed to any sort of focus on the movie's plot or writing. 

Something like that is rarely a good sign. 

16 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I'm actually an MBA with a background in marketing. 

Between that and my time on the job as a movie reviewer, the official promotional material for "Wrinkle" sent up all sorts of red flags. This included the focus on the big-name celebs and the race & gender of the director as opposed to any sort of focus on the movie's plot or writing. 

Something like that is rarely a good sign. 

Huh, Cool. I guess i've never noticed stuff like that. Thanks. I'll have to keep this in mind for all the many next times i'm sure there will be.

"The Greatest Showman".  The story of PT Barnum and the original circus performers.

I remember a news item a year or so ago, the circus closed for good.  Elephants, acrobats, performers, they all scattered to the wind - no more family.  They didn't say anything about it in the movie, but it still made it a bit more impactful.

Buncha humans all growing up and changing culture and now there's no more circus.  Dangit.

https://www.ringling.com/

27 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

"The Greatest Showman".  The story of PT Barnum and the original circus performers.

I remember a news item a year or so ago, the circus closed for good.  Elephants, acrobats, performers, they all scattered to the wind - no more family.  They didn't say anything about it in the movie, but it still made it a bit more impactful.

Buncha humans all growing up and changing culture and now there's no more circus.  Dangit.

https://www.ringling.com/

I was fortunate to see the last shows.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:44 PM, eVa said:

I watched My Best Friend's Wedding.  Still great as it was the first time I saw it.

One of my faves!

When I want a chick-flick movie night, this is one of my go-to's.  The kids don't mind watching this over and over because they think the gay guy in this movie is super hilarious.  They love the restaurant scene.  Hah hah!  Another one of my faves that they don't mind watching over and over is Hitch. 

Tomb Raider

I love the actress for Lara Croft.  I first noticed her on that movie The Light Between Oceans with Fassy.  She held up her own with Fassy's powerful performance.  But that was drama - this is full-packed action.  She did great on this too.

As far as the movie goes though... I like the eye candy but the story is just... meh.  The formula of someone that sacrifices his life and his family to save the world but then ends up being the reason to end the world because of flimsy reasons is just not my cup of tea.  And having the evil that ends the world end up to be - meh... well, it makes the whole movie meh.  Anyway, it's an okay movie to watch on the big screen but I'm probably not gonna go for a 2nd viewing.

Tomb Raider (2018)

A far more human treatment of Lara Croft than the first live-action movie or the Top Cow comics, but otherwise it doesn't rise that much above being a generic action number. 

Finally saw Justice League last night. Thought it was fine. I see what those critical mean in its weaknesses...but...I enjoyed it okay. And...it finally makes Superman cool.

Superman is not Batman people! Superman is Superman. And he's freaking awesome when he's Superman and not Batman.

They even made his outfit brighter. Now if they'd just bring back the red briefs and the yellow S on his cape!

Sure...it's passe. But it's SUPERMAN! He doesn't need updating. He just needs to be awesome! When bullets bounce off your eye (coolest part of S. Returns) you're cool enough to wear your underwear on the outside.

I only wish that when WW head butted him he hadn't been moved quite so much. More like only as much movement as Capn America moved Thor's hammer when he tried to lift it. Like an implication of something...but...no. I hated in B v S how he kept ducking at stuff. Like when the machine guns shoot at him, he holds up his arms and ducks. COME ON! It's SUPERMAN. Bullets bounce off his EYEBALL. Why is he ducking?

THAT'S the way Superman deals with machine guns!

On 3/18/2018 at 7:59 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

Finally saw Justice League last night. Thought it was fine. I see what those critical mean in its weaknesses...but...I enjoyed it okay. And...it finally makes Superman cool.

Superman is not Batman people! Superman is Superman. And he's freaking awesome when he's Superman and not Batman.

They even made his outfit brighter. Now if they'd just bring back the red briefs and the yellow S on his cape!

Sure...it's passe. But it's SUPERMAN! He doesn't need updating. He just needs to be awesome! When bullets bounce off your eye (coolest part of S. Returns) you're cool enough to wear your underwear on the outside.

I only wish that when WW head butted him he hadn't been moved quite so much. More like only as much movement as Capn America moved Thor's hammer when he tried to lift it. Like an implication of something...but...no. I hated in B v S how he kept ducking at stuff. Like when the machine guns shoot at him, he holds up his arms and ducks. COME ON! It's SUPERMAN. Bullets bounce off his EYEBALL. Why is he ducking?

THAT'S the way Superman deals with machine guns!

I want to LOVE this post.  Not just Like it!  Superman is the only reason I don't bash DC too much and they have to ruin him in the movies.  Superman Returns is my favorite Superman movie and most everyone else hated it.  Ugh.

But Justice League is not fine.  It sucks all the way down to its  designated funny man.

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I want to LOVE this post.  Not just Like it!  Superman is the only reason I don't bash DC too much and they have to ruin him in the movies.  Superman Returns is my favorite Superman movie and most everyone else hated it.  Ugh.

Leaving aside our difference of opinion on Justice League, the only thing I really didn't much care for in Superman Returns was his outfit changes. Small S on his chest. Funny looking low-rider briefs. No S on his cape.

Oh...and the idea of illicit "relations" outside of marriage as introduced in Superman II and carried on with his illegitimate son.

3 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Leaving aside our difference of opinion on Justice League, the only thing I really didn't much care for in Superman Returns was his outfit changes. Small S on his chest. Funny looking low-rider briefs. No S on his cape.

Oh...and the idea of illicit "relations" outside of marriage as introduced in Superman II and carried on with his illegitimate son.

I have to admit... I'm a sucker for really good movie shoes and Lois Lane in this movie has great shoes.  And Suicide Squad was what-kind-of-storyline-is-that? - but I can't bash it because it has the greatest shoes scene in the history of superhero movies.

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I have to admit... I'm a sucker for really good movie shoes and Lois Lane in this movie has great shoes.  And Suicide Squad was what-kind-of-storyline-is-that? - but I can't bash it because it has the greatest shoes scene in the history of superhero movies.

Haven't seen it. Now I just HAVE to! <_<

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Four-word description of The Wizard of Oz: "Women fight over shoes."