What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

On 5/15/2018 at 8:11 PM, Carborendum said:

...I was reminiscing about my favorite movies from the good ol' days.  I wanted to show my kids the original Ghostbusters.  My kids wanted to know why they'd never heard of it before.  She responded,"Because it was just a stupid movie.  I don't know why people thought it was any good."...

Your wife is wrong. The original Ghost Busters was a very entertaining and funny movie.

M.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Your wife is wrong. The original Ghost Busters was a very entertaining and funny movie.

My Dad loves that movie. He used to watch it all the time. 

Guest Godless
On 5/19/2018 at 12:58 AM, Ironhold said:

Deadpool 2. 

Didn't quite seem to have the same level of heart. 

I felt the same way. I still enjoyed it, but the first one was better. Though that "Pooh Bear" scene nearly put me into cardiac arrest. 😂

Saw Solo this morning with my son. Very enjoyable, with quite a few nods to the hardcore fans, including a cameo that seems out of place, but apparently makes sense to those who have watched the animated Clone Wars series (I have not). Great performances across the board and just enough tie-in to the rest of the Star Wars universe while still maintaining the stand-alone feel.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, Carborendum said:

I was reminiscing about my favorite movies from the good ol' days.  I wanted to show my kids the original Ghostbusters.  My kids wanted to know why they'd never heard of it before.  She responded,"Because it was just a stupid movie.  I don't know why people thought it was any good.

I agree with your wife so much. Ghostbusters was perhaps the single most overrated movie since Breakfast at Tiffany's. Part of it might be that I have never understood Bill Murray's supposed comedic genius. He has always reminded me of a smart-alek high schooler, sharp with a comeback and reasonably clever, but not ready for prime time. [bah-da-bum] He's actually a good actor, certainly above average if for nothing else than his deadpan refusal to mug for the camera. He has good comedic timing, but otherwise is no kind of comedy genius that I can see. I understand he's quite likeable and funny in person, given to wisecracks and humorous observations. Apparently that comes across to some. But as a comic actor, my word for Bill Murray is "overrated", and not just in Ghostbusters. I know his fame and filmography tell a different story, but that is because I'm right and the rest of the world is wrong.

For that matter, most of the Saturday Night Live crew from the early glory days were overrated. Steve Martin was not; he really was a genius. Eddie Murphy was not, though he wasted much of his post-SNL career in foul-mouthed, mostly unfunny "comedies". John Belushi? Meh. He was a reasonably funny guy, but "genius" is pushing it. Dan Ackroyd? Kind of the same as Belushi, but maybe less so. Chevy Chase? Pretty funny as long as he's playing Chevy Chase and has people writing the kind of lines Chevy Chase delivers (e.g. Fletch) -- otherwise, highly overrated. The women? Gilda Radner, Laraine Newman, Jane Curtin -- nope. Radner (RIP) had one shtick, and was basically a more likeable female version of Chevy Chase. Curtin was good for reactions, but could not carry a part on her own. Newman was pretty funny, but she never did anything after SNL.

Truth be told, this is the case in general with SNL. For every Chris Rock or Tina Fey (whom I despise, but she's legitimately funny), there are two or three Al Frankens or Mike Myerses.

2 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not much into Star Wars, but I have kids and grandkids that are psycho nuts about Star Wars.

Interested in what Solo did to tank the franchise. 

I can't say too much without spoilers, but the gist of it is that they cranked out a bland movie that relies on knowledge of the cartoons for a major plot twist and basically turned Han into a "Mary Sue" type. 

20 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

I can't say too much without spoilers, but the gist of it is that they cranked out a bland movie that relies on knowledge of the cartoons for a major plot twist and basically turned Han into a "Mary Sue" type. 

Hmm...well...I think some of them watch those Disney shows a lot so they might like it.  I think the male version of Mary Sue is Marty Stu (or Gary Stu). 

Someone like me probably would be confused anyways.  Han Solo is supposed to be like the suave gambler type guy who is almost always successful (except when he got caught) and even when things turn sour (like he didn't have a chance to install a hyperdrive) he is so good at what he does he can still get away with it and make things work.

That is if I understand the character right. 

Do they stick with the old Han Solo (would shoot a guy in cold blood, not really good, just in it for the money) from the Original Star Wars (who is transformed over the course of the trilogy into a caring guy who is good), or do they stick with the reformed Lucas Han Solo from the Lucas remakes who let Greedo shoot first (and no one could miss at that range...Greedo should have killed Han right there) who supposedly was good all along?

I'm not sure how they make a Gary Stu out of either of those, but if they did, I suppose I could see why that may upset one group or another.

Edited by JohnsonJones

6 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Hmm...well...I think some of them watch those Disney shows a lot so they might like it.  I think the male version of Mary Sue is Marty Stu (or Gary Stu). 

Someone like me probably would be confused anyways.  Han Solo is supposed to be like the suave gambler type guy who is almost always successful (except when he got caught) and even when things turn sour (like he didn't have a chance to install a hyperdrive) he is so good at what he does he can still get away with it and make things work.

That is if I understand the character right. 

Do they stick with the old Han Solo (would shoot a guy in cold blood, not really good, just in it for the money) from the Original Star Wars (who is transformed over the course of the trilogy into a caring guy who is good), or do they stick with the reformed Lucas Han Solo from the Lucas remakes who let Greedo shoot first (and no one could miss at that range...Greedo should have killed Han right there) who supposedly was good all along?

I'm not sure how they make a Gary Stu out of either of those, but if they did, I suppose I could see why that may upset one group or another.

One of the big complaints about the Marvel US run of the "G. I. Joe" comics is that writer Larry Hama was too focused on the Snake-Eyes character. As part of it, whenever he needed to give Snake-Eyes more screen time, he'd add more to the guy's backstory... and throw in a few other characters for good measure. 

Thing is, you connect the dots and you realize that Hama made Snake-Eyes so integral to the history of the entire comic that if not for him there wouldn't have been a Joe / Cobra conflict in the first place. 

That's what this movie does with Han: it has him make a decision so critical that literally everything else that takes place after this film hinges on it

Seriously. 

6 hours ago, Ironhold said:

One of the big complaints about the Marvel US run of the "G. I. Joe" comics is that writer Larry Hama was too focused on the Snake-Eyes character. As part of it, whenever he needed to give Snake-Eyes more screen time, he'd add more to the guy's backstory... and throw in a few other characters for good measure. 

Thing is, you connect the dots and you realize that Hama made Snake-Eyes so integral to the history of the entire comic that if not for him there wouldn't have been a Joe / Cobra conflict in the first place. 

That's what this movie does with Han: it has him make a decision so critical that literally everything else that takes place after this film hinges on it

Seriously. 

Hmm, interesting  I don't know what could be such a decision, but I'm not really into Star Wars.  If so, it could be interesting to see what people think of that new idea within the Star Wars circles.  At least one of my kids and their kids probably saw this movie this weekend, maybe more.  Could be interesting to listen in on their conversations at our family reunion coming up next week.

14 hours ago, Ironhold said:

"Solo"

Way to tank a franchise, peeps. 

I joined the Star Wars boycott to get the current franchise leadership, at least Kathleen Kennedy, off that ship.  So this is the very first Star Wars movie that we did not watch on the very first available showing of opening day.  We're probably not gonna watch it opening weekend either.  And from your review, I guess we're not watching it until it goes to DVD, if that.

A friend of mine watched it and he said... Han Solo and Chewie are great together... and that's about the only great anything in that movie.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Best heist movie of all time:  Heat.  You need vidangel to rip out the language.

Or if you're into anime, your average Lupin III movie would fit the bill. 

Starting around the late 1990s / early 2000s, the writers came to realize just how absurd things were getting and decided to roll with it. One film actually makes a gag out of the cast stealing a space shuttle and going into space to retrieve a satellite full of cash. 

The content is PG-13 at best, however. 

Guest Godless
11 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

What do you recommend?

I really like Inside Man. Not your typical heist flick, but very well done. It's another one for Vidangel though if language bothers you.

I just realized I haven't reported on the new Jurassic World.

Hated it.  Suffered from 2nd-movie-in-a-forced-trilogy-syndrome.  The movie exists just so you can have a 3rd movie and the progression from 1st to 3rd is super stupid.  And I really hate having a "designated funny guy" who is the nerdy guy who puts everybody in danger.  I hated Flash in Justice League - the designated funny guy - although he's not useless.  They need to learn from Marvel - the comic relief is taken on equally by everybody so it flows naturally.

10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I just realized I haven't reported on the new Jurassic World.

Hated it.  Suffered from 2nd-movie-in-a-forced-trilogy-syndrome.  The movie exists just so you can have a 3rd movie and the progression from 1st to 3rd is super stupid.  And I really hate having a "designated funny guy" who is the nerdy guy who puts everybody in danger.  I hated Flash in Justice League - the designated funny guy - although he's not useless.  They need to learn from Marvel - the comic relief is taken on equally by everybody so it flows naturally.

So... Why do you have a 2 after your name, Ana? :o

22 minutes ago, FunkyTown said:

So... Why do you have a 2 after your name, Ana? :o

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS BATMAN!!!!  FUNKYTOWN IS BAAAAACCCKK!!!!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, DUDE???  I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LEFT US HANGING THROUGH THE 2016 ELECTIONS!

The 2 after my name is a byproduct of lds.net becoming mormonhub.com.  I lost access to my old account so I had to create a new one.

Just now, anatess2 said:

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS BATMAN!!!!  FUNKYTOWN IS BAAAAACCCKK!!!!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, DUDE???  I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LEFT US HANGING THROUGH THE 2016 ELECTIONS!

The 2 after my name is a byproduct of lds.net becoming mormonhub.com.  I lost access to my old account so I had to create a new one.

Well, I went back to school to become a teacher. I'm currently at the University of Derby finishing my double major in Data Analytics and Education where I will then be able to teach.

You will be happy to know that I didn't stop commenting on politics and spoke at a symposium in Derby, giving a talk on the importance of free speech in education, how we came to be at our current situation and why the current ideological war is important.

AND I GET TO PICK ACADEMIC FIGHTS! WOO!

1 minute ago, FunkyTown said:

Well, I went back to school to become a teacher. I'm currently at the University of Derby finishing my double major in Data Analytics and Education where I will then be able to teach.

You will be happy to know that I didn't stop commenting on politics and spoke at a symposium in Derby, giving a talk on the importance of free speech in education, how we came to be at our current situation and why the current ideological war is important.

AND I GET TO PICK ACADEMIC FIGHTS! WOO!

Whoa!  Hope you're not picking fights with Jordan Peterson!  Or, hope you're fighting side-by-side with Jordan Peterson!  Or... whatever, whatever, I like Jordan Peterson.  Hah hah.

Just now, anatess2 said:

Whoa!  Hope you're not picking fights with Jordan Peterson!  Or, hope you're fighting side-by-side with Jordan Peterson!  Or... whatever, whatever, I like Jordan Peterson.  Hah hah.

Jordan Peterson is good. I'm a bit more data driven than him while he tends to concentrate on Jungian archetypes, but we agree on the badness of identity politics.

In fact, one of the feedbacks I got on an essay I wrote for a class "Inequality in Education: A study in gender, race and ethnicity" was "If you're going to call the topic of the module garbage and attack the beliefs of the professor who will be marking you, it's generally better to do that in the last paragraph than the first paragraph".

Check out the essay(With apologies for the few minor referencing issues I had. It's an old copy on here).

ClassGenderRaceEducation.docx